Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2004 11:58:31 AM EDT
Finally got the offer Thursday and accepted, so I start at my Richmond based gig the 18th of October.

I will be selling my house here at the Beach and buying something new up there. I've been looking for a place around Richmond so I can shoot on my property.

I'm assuming for that to work, I need to NOT be in a subdivision, but are there any other rules of thumb I should be aware of?

Thanks,
TR
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I got around this by getting into suppressors, but that can be kind of expensive as I'm sure you know.  I imagine the rule of thumb is safety and being in a rural setting if you don't want or need to be in a subdivision.  The counties around Richmond (Powhatan, Goochland, etc.) all seem to retain enough of their rural character for shooting to not be held a crime against humanity.  They are all, of course, heavily pressed by development so this year's shooting spot may be someone's yard next door in the future.  You'll see when you get here and notice how new fancy subdivisions are springing up in places you woudn't expect.

I think the best bet might be Goochland or Fluvanna if you can stand the commute.  Henrico is a vast county and land might be reasonable in the eastern part of it, probably pretty expensive in the west.  Guess you just have to buy as many acres you can and hope for the best.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I work in Richmond and we just built our first home in Caroline county.  It's about 40 minutes north of Richmond and the drive to work is a breeze (I95 south, very little traffic going south in the mornings).

It is a very rural county with practically no taxes yet (as it is so underdeveloped).

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I just made the opposite move from Richmond to Chesaapeake.

The metro counties like Chesterfield and Henrico are too subruban for rifle fire.

Make sure that whatever property you by is zoned farm land as that ensures shooting rights.

Certain portions of Hanover, the more rural partts to the east, can still get away with shooting. There is a decent range, Blackcreek, in Hanvoer.

As one person suggested already Caroline may work out well. Other options pointed out are Goochland and Powhatn, but it depends on what commute time and distance you want to live with.

Make sure to check out TTi when you are up in Richmond there for black rifle parts and accesories.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Make sure to check out TTi when you are up in Richmond there for black rifle parts and accesories.

Where and what is that? I do work part time in a gunshop here, so I will probably still be able to get deals.

Anyway, I'm trying to find as much acreage as possible so I can shoot. I have a handful of suppressors now; and plan on buying more.

I'm going to be looking at houses next week up there, so I might see if anybody would be interested in some dinner action.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#5]
TTi is located off of Route 1 in Hanover county.

Here's the website address: www.tti-intl.com/

The street address is on the about us page.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#6]
What side of town will you be working on? Also, downtown or in the 'burbs? I suggest getting a home on the same side of the James River as your work. Commuting can generally be worked out as not too much of a hassle so long as you don't have to go into town to cross the river. The new bridge might help some if you're faced with doing that, but I'd still try to avoid if possible. 'Course if you've gotta go downtown everday anyway, might be a moot point. If that's the case, watch yourself down there after dark.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I spent most of last week looking.

Looks like I'm going to end up south of the river, but looks like I can hop 288 to 64 to 295 to get to work.

I've got a few more places I'm going to look at; but first choice right now is a place in a new development.

TR
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm heading up this Thursday to probably put an offer in on the house, as my place here at the beach is sold.

Any final words of warning?

TR
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
traffic sucks on 64 between new kent county and 295
be careful
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:45:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey TR, was your offer accepted? Let us know how/where you made out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Got word that my offer was accepted. I'm supposed to close the 28th of this month.

I will be moving up to temporary housing this next weekend.

So, who's up for dinner or some blasting?

TR
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:35:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top