Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 4:50:08 PM EDT
Heya fellas. I'm looking to restore my AR's to their proper configuration. Both currently feature Cav Comps and neutered FSB's. I'd like to put a correct FSB on both and A2 flash hider on my 20" and a Phantom or Vortex on my carbine. I've got one FSB and flash hider, I plan on getting the other at the Hampton gunshow this weekend. Unfortunately, I don't have the tools or know-how to do the work myself. I do however, want to learn. I missed my big opportunity to learn at BRD. So is there anyone in Hampton Roads that can help me out?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Swapping the FSB is a serious job that is a pain in the ass even for an experienced 'smith.  (Assuming you are replacing a taper pin FSB with another taper pin FSB).  The issue is that you have to drill the new FSB to match the holes that are already in the barrel.

Swapping the comp for a flash hider is a quick job with a grinder, assuming it's blind pinned on a threaded barrel....   If there are not threads under there, you need to find gunsmith or machinist who can turn the barrel down to the correct diameter and then thread it...

These issues are why many people are just buying a new barrel that already has the un-neutered FSB and threads....
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:53:51 AM EDT
[#2]
C4iGrant may be able to help you out but like Griz said, swapping FSB is a pretty tough job.  I recommend you send it off to ADCO ADCO.  They will have it back to you in a few days.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Swapping the FSB is a serious job that is a pain in the ass even for an experienced 'smith.  (Assuming you are replacing a taper pin FSB with another taper pin FSB).  The issue is that you have to drill the new FSB to match the holes that are already in the barrel. . . . .

This is true. Not only are the pin bore position and spacing in question, but also the FSB must be vertical if you expect to zero it in.

Bushmaster outlined the procedure for me about three days ago. The existing barrel holes get filled, the new FSB installed, new holes drilled through the barrel to match the new FSB. They said it was "one of the few things we charge for" and it would be $40 + the part + return shipping. There may be other ways to do it, but this is Bushy's.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:35:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Contact George at G & L Firearms, 6064 Mooretown Rd, Williamsburg. 565-2820. He does an excellent job on AR's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top