Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2004 9:51:43 AM EDT
Ok, won't be long and I'll be living in blacksburg.
Can you give me an idea of where the gun shops are and places to shoot please?

thanks a lot

Chris

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Jefferson National Forest:  Go 460 west past Blacksburg.  You'll see a sign for the Jefferson National Forest.  Make your next right turn.  Where you make that right, to your left, on the other side of 460 you'll see a sign that says Pandapas Pond.  

Edited to add from the tacked Ranges Thread:

Place: Jefferson National Forest range outside of Blacksburg, VA.
Facilities: Covered area with 10 heavy shooting benches and about 20 yards of open grass for prone shooting. 100 meters max range. Also has a separate shotgun range. Parking for about 20 cars max, not including the shoulder off the paved access road. 2 handicapped spaces. Fairly spiffy brick outhouse.
Directions:From Blacksburg, take Route 460 West. Look for Jefferson National Forest sign. Make the first right after the sign. Range is 200 yards on right. Pandapas Pond Park is on the opposite side of Route 460.
Allowed: Just about everything, including full-auto. Bring your own targets and frame stands if you have them. Please do not bring trash to shoot.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the info.  that's not too far from where I'll be. Sweet!

Chris
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that really the only place down there?

No shops or smiths nearby?

Chris
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey chris,

There was a store in Radford operated by Len Fagan. The place was called "Fagan's Sporting FireArms"
Apparently he got a job with Ares (the guys who designed the belt fed M16 upper and .50 Beowulf cartridge). The guy sold a lot of handguns and preban/paramilitary stuff. Since then his store has closed but until then it was *the* source. The Craig Creek range (Pandapas Pond) is a great place. If you hang out often enough you'll see a lot of cool guns/class III types. Downside is that the month before deer season, everybody and their mother goes to that range to sight in their guns and it's PACKED. There are also a large population of know nothings who will point their arms down range as if they were rubber bowie knives. However, on any given weekday afternoon it's usually not crowded.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Never fails that I'm behind  just that much LOL

Thank you for the information.

Where is the ARES place , might have to ask for a tour.
Happen to have a link?

thanks again

Chris
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Ares is behind the "Shrike".

Alexander Arms produces the 6.5 Grendel and .50 Beowulf.

As far as I know, there is absolutely no relationship between the two other than they are both located in the industrial park at the Radford Arsenal.   They are civilian businesses, but the industrial park is secured so you can't just drive up and tour the place.

As far as gun shops go, it's slim pickings around here.    I give Bud's Guns in Christiansburg most of my business, but if you have ants in your pants, you'll be frustrated.   The pace in Bud's is very slow, so you have to kick back, relax, swap some lies with the old coots in there and you'll enjoy the experience.   He's also not always open regular hours if he isn't feeling well.  

Don't expect lots of black rifle stuff in there, but he will be happy to do transfers for you.  He charges me $15 per 4473 (as many guns as you can fit on one form is just $15) plus the sales tax for whatever the retail price of the gun is.  Apparently, the state screwed him one year and claimed that all of his transfers were actually sales and made him pay sales tax on them.... ouch.   It's still the best deal in the area that I can find for transfers.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Of course, if you buy land out in the county (*like I did*), then you can pretty much shoot anywhere you darn well please on your own property

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks again for the directions to the range on 460.  went up today and checked it out. nice set up.there were a few guys sighting in black powder, one (ruger 22 pistol) and another group I didn't get a chance to see.. (any of you there today?)

it was amazing that even as nice a place as it was, someone couldn't resist shooting the rules case and the trash cans and signs leaving it.

can't have anything anymore without someone trying their best to ruin a good thing.

Thanks again
Chris
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#9]
It's gone downhill over the years due to range cleanup that can't keep up, modifications, and students bringing stupid crap to the range to shoot (computers, keyboards, printers, monitors, bottles, books, pocket knives, things from their ex-girlfriends....) and leaving it.  Several years ago they used to use target stands that were wooden, but people used the posts for targets instead of bringing their own, then they put berms up and the holes/posts kept filling with mud.  Now they've got the wooden boards with metal hoops to slip a posterboard sleeve over.

The biggest danger is when stupid people show up to shoot:  going down range without calling the range clear, sweeping people with loaded SKS's (and I quote, "what? I was only loading it, I wasn't going to shoot it..."), etc.

Deer season is coming soon and you'll find it very hard to get a bench.  With the berms now, you won't be able to shoot prone in the grass at 100yds because your sightlines will be blocked...

Good range otherwise, just remember to clean up after yourself.  I was just there Tuesday.  The prior Tuesday (or was it Wednesday) I happened to arrive after one of the afore mentioned stupid shooters...  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#10]
was actually thinking about a late afternoon policing up over there today. Monday afternoon sounds like a good time LOL

Sad isn't it?

chris

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#12]
sweet,not very familliar with radford. any idea of an address?

chris

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey chris,

There was a store in Radford operated by Len Fagan. The place was called "Fagan's Sporting FireArms"
Apparently he got a job with Ares (the guys who designed the belt fed M16 upper and .50 Beowulf cartridge). The guy sold a lot of handguns and preban/paramilitary stuff. Since then his store has closed but until then it was *the* source. The Craig Creek range (Pandapas Pond) is a great place. If you hang out often enough you'll see a lot of cool guns/class III types. Downside is that the month before deer season, everybody and their mother goes to that range to sight in their guns and it's PACKED. There are also a large population of know nothings who will point their arms down range as if they were rubber bowie knives. However, on any given weekday afternoon it's usually not crowded.

Fagan re-opened this spring.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Fagans is closed...hes going to school in NC.....he said he might reopen a shop when he finishes ...which will be about 2 years.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info.

Chris

Quoted:
Fagans is closed...hes going to school in NC.....he said he might reopen a shop when he finishes ...which will be about 2 years.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
was actually thinking about a late afternoon policing up over there today. Monday afternoon sounds like a good time LOL

Sad isn't it?

Yes but for a "free" range, it can't easily be beat.  I "need" to go again this week to try out a new buffer and some ammo with the bolt gun.  Here's hoping the range isn't crowded and the shooters are all normal...

If you go there today, I hope you have fun, I'm stuck in a seminar...

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Agreed, I didn't make it up there today, hope to get up there during the week at some point.

maybe I'll IM you when I do head up.
have a good night.

Chris

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sad isn't it?

Yes but for a "free" range, it can't easily be beat.  I "need" to go again this week to try out a new buffer and some ammo with the bolt gun.  Here's hoping the range isn't crowded and the shooters are all normal...

If you go there today, I hope you have fun, I'm stuck in a seminar...

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Sure.  I might have gone today, but I just wasn't compelled to with the weather...
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I live in the Roanoke area, and there's two decent shops here.

Bryansteen's, more of a hunting type place, with decent handguns and milsurp selection but very thin on the AR/tactical stuff.  Tend to be overpriced, but friendly people (except for the owner), and will order damn near anything.  To get there, go up I-81 to 581, then take exit 2S (Peter's Creek Rd) about half a mile on the right.

Roanoke Firearms, shares a storefront with a pawnshop, which makes for some interesting clientele.  Much smaller space-wise, but much more AR/tactical guns and gear, including Blade-Tech holsters and Blackhawk nylon.  Better prices, IMHO as well.  To get there, take I-81 to 581, then one more exit to 3W (Hershberger Rd), about half a mile right on the other side of Cove Rd.  I go to one or both once a week or so if you need anything checked on.

In terms of ranges, it's either the Pandapas Range, the Potts Mountain range (up 311, 30 minutes past Catawba) or the private Roanoke Rifle & Revolver Club.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#20]
yeah, we had a bunch of errends to run today. they say thursday is going to be clear. so maybe then.

Chris

Quoted:
Sure.  I might have gone today, but I just wasn't compelled to with the weather...

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#21]
appreciate the info and directions. as soon as I figure out this area, I'll try roanoke LOL

haven't had enough time in this area to get the feel yet.
thanks again

Chris

Quoted:
I live in the Roanoke area, and there's two decent shops here.

Bryansteen's, more of a hunting type place, with decent handguns and milsurp selection but very thin on the AR/tactical stuff.  Tend to be overpriced, but friendly people (except for the owner), and will order damn near anything.  To get there, go up I-81 to 581, then take exit 2S (Peter's Creek Rd) about half a mile on the right.

Roanoke Firearms, shares a storefront with a pawnshop, which makes for some interesting clientele.  Much smaller space-wise, but much more AR/tactical guns and gear, including Blade-Tech holsters and Blackhawk nylon.  Better prices, IMHO as well.  To get there, take I-81 to 581, then one more exit to 3W (Hershberger Rd), about half a mile right on the other side of Cove Rd.  I go to one or both once a week or so if you need anything checked on.

In terms of ranges, it's either the Pandapas Range, the Potts Mountain range (up 311, 30 minutes past Catawba) or the private Roanoke Rifle & Revolver Club.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top