Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 5:15:13 AM EDT
I'm considering a Sigarms P239 in .40.  I already have the .357Sig version (love it), but wanted to try out the .40 to compare the recoil.  From what I understand, the size and weight are virtually identical.  Does anyone in the NoVA area have one and would be willing to meet me at the NRA range sometime for a test drive.  I am more than happy to give reasonable remuneration (range time, ammo, burger)...

Many thanks in advance.  See you at the range!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:54:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm considering a Sigarms P239 in .40.  I already have the .357Sig version (love it), but wanted to try out the .40 to compare the recoil.  From what I understand, the size and weight are virtually identical.  Does anyone in the NoVA area have one and would be willing to meet me at the NRA range sometime for a test drive.  I am more than happy to give reasonable remuneration (range time, ammo, burger)...

Many thanks in advance.  See you at the range!

Dude all you need is the P239 .40 barrel, everything else is exactly the same on the .357 even the mags.  Call VA Arms Bernie may have one in stock.  I think they go for around $150 or so.

FWIW in my experience with .40vs.357vs.9mm is that the .40 has more muzzle flip than both 9mm and .357SIG and a more felt recoil than both.  The .357 has a similar recoil but because the slide velocity is typically faster the perceived recoil feels less (at least to me).  Personally I'm not a big fan of .40s.  I think the trade off in recoil isn't worth the debateable 'more power' than 9mm.  If I carry a 9mm I usually carry a 124gr+P+ HydraShok or a 127gr +P+ Ranger.  If I feel I need more power than that I carry a .45 with 230gr JHPs which for me is easier to control than a .40  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:03:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The mags are slightly different. you will need a new 40 mag.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dude all you need is the P239 .40 barrel, everything else is exactly the same on the .357 even the mags.  Call VA Arms Bernie may have one in stock.  I think they go for around $150 or so.

FWIW in my experience with .40vs.357vs.9mm is that the .40 has more muzzle flip than both 9mm and .357SIG and a more felt recoil than both.  The .357 has a similar recoil but because the slide velocity is typically faster the perceived recoil feels less (at least to me).  Personally I'm not a big fan of .40s.  I think the trade off in recoil isn't worth the debateable 'more power' than 9mm.  If I carry a 9mm I usually carry a 124gr+P+ HydraShok or a 127gr +P+ Ranger.  If I feel I need more power than that I carry a .45 with 230gr JHPs which for me is easier to control than a .40  YMMV.

Wow!  This is opposite of what I had thought.  My girlfriend has the Glock 27 (the sub-compact .40), and I don't recall the recoil being as strong as the .357 Sig.  Of course, it has been quite a while since I fired her .40, and I didn't do a side-by-side test.  If I remember correctly, the .40 had a "snappier" recoil than the .357.  I liken it to the .40 vs the .45.  The .40 is snappier, while the .45 is more of a push.  Maybe that explains the increased muzzle flip you describe.  How's the P245?  I spoke to Bernie about it once, and in his opinion the grip felt strange.  It may be a bit fat to accomodate the round.

I'd like to shoot them side by side to see.  I'll check on the barrel and mag.  Maybe I can get down to Bernie's this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Wow!  This is opposite of what I had thought.  My girlfriend has the Glock 27 (the sub-compact .40), and I don't recall the recoil being as strong as the .357 Sig.  Of course, it has been quite a while since I fired her .40, and I didn't do a side-by-side test.  If I remember correctly, the .40 had a "snappier" recoil than the .357.  I liken it to the .40 vs the .45.  The .40 is snappier, while the .45 is more of a push.  Maybe that explains the increased muzzle flip you describe.  How's the P245?  I spoke to Bernie about it once, and in his opinion the grip felt strange.  It may be a bit fat to accomodate the round.

I'd like to shoot them side by side to see.  I'll check on the barrel and mag.  Maybe I can get down to Bernie's this weekend.

I think the .40 is snappier and has more muzzle flip than 9mm and .357 because its pushing a heavier bullet at typically 9mm +P pressures.  You can get some weak .40s loads which would be good for practice but you're kinda then defeating its whole purpose.  I don't have a P245.  I have a aluminum frame P220 two tone and a heavier stainless EL P220ST.  You're welcome to try either or both sometime at the NRA Range.  You can really feel the benefit of the extra weight of the 220ST under recoil.  If SIG made 10 rounds mags for the 220s I'd shoot it in the 3gun at BRD.  But since the round count is 10 per mag I'm shooting either my 92 Beretta Elite or Glock 34.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Sig 239 .40, When do you want to meet at NRA Range? I work tonight there and will be there Saturday from opening till 3. Let me know what you'd like to work out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll be in the area tonight, maybe I can meet you there.  Check your IM.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll be working, just ask for Bobby.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top