Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 1:33:26 PM EDT
My company is transfering me from NOVA down to Richmond to oversee Loss Prevention at our properties in the area.  I'll be starting out at our latest project in Shokoe Bottom, The Riverlofts.  Anybody know the area, what can you tell me?  Night life, resteraunts...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Good move hopefully.

You will only be 1.5 hour drive from here.

Good luck.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My company is transfering me from NOVA down to Richmond to oversee Loss Prevention at our properties in the area.  I'll be starting out at our latest project in Shokoe Bottom, The Riverlofts.  Anybody know the area, what can you tell me?  Night life, resteraunts...

Shockoe Bottom....hmmm....I think they are flooded and most buildings are at least temporarily comdemned.  I'd suggest your firm get flood insurance for their building.  

But, the Bottom is a great place to live and to play.  But the City of Richmond has some shady areas.  Keep on the lookout.

I'd live in Chesterfield if I were you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#4]
If these are where I think they are, they are not in the bottom proper, but up main a bit, perhaps 50 feet above the high water mark.  (Richmond has more hills than one would think)

The night life is excellent if you are in your low 20s.  A bit juvinile if you are older.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:25:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The night life is excellent if you are in your low 20s.  A bit juvinile if you are older.

And dangerous if you are careless.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:33:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Avoid any area with the word court after it.  Also if you see RRHA signs on buildings run away very fast, you are in a bad area.  Well maybe you should walk briskly running might excite them.

3rd street diner is the only restaurant right in the city I've eaten at.  Cheap, always open, and usually a slew of hot biker sluts as waitresses.

Oh and if you stay in Shockoe Bottom keep a rubber raft and a life jacket on you at all times.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:32:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If these are where I think they are, they are not in the bottom proper, but up main a bit, perhaps 50 feet above the high water mark.  (Richmond has more hills than one would think)

DriftPunch, you are correct.  The buildings are well above where the flood took place.  They did sustain some minor water damage from the amount of water dumped on them during the storm though.

These are the old tobacco factories along the waterfront area.  American Cigar, Carolina Tobacco and such.  Two of the buildings have been renovated into loft apartments, two more are under renovation, with two more just aquired and the option on another two.  This is a long term project for my company. As far as living in the area, one of the requirements/advantages/disadvantages of my position is I have to live on one of the properties, but it's free

Currently I supervise Loss Prevention for 128 buildings in the NOVA area, just south of Alexandria.  This transfer to the new property will definitely be a step up in clientel, but all my Spanglish lessons will go to waste.  The company is dumping my current properties for $150M to finish a renovation project in Brooklyn, NY.

As far as juvenile nightlife, I'm 42, been divorced for 18 years, and my policy is 18-80, cripple, blind or crazy, if they can't walk, I'll drag 'em.

Anybody know if I have to transfer my CCW when I move, or do I just wait until it expires?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:24:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys, pumped about the new assignment, see you guys in about 45 days.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You just have to wait until your permit expires, but as soon as you get your new address, change your drivers license and get your car registration done at the same time so that your ID's will be good to go for new purchases.

The Richmond area is a good place to live, by and large.  Plenty of places near here ot shoot IDPA and Hi Power, and 3 Gun matches down in Oxford NC are only a couple of hours away.

I work at De Goff's, the gunshop in Mechanicsville (6 miles NE of Richmond), stop on by and ask for Tim and look around a bit.

Welcome to the area!

He looks like this

Wow, I've talked to you a few times and didn't even know it.  Cool!   I'll have to introduce myself next time.  Are you the one that usually wears a hat and glasses, or the other one with the goatee?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#13]
It was you I talked to a week or 2 ago actually.  I had bought one of your British 30rd mags and it didn't fit in my AR.  I came back and exchanged it for one of your USGI 20 rounders.  You may not remember me, I'm about 6'0" with red hair.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:15:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top