User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 2:33:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:30:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:19:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I made the mistake of thinking I could drive from Richmond to check on a place in Middlesex County last night.  Managed to get through town as far as Church Hill before being turned back - just couldn't find a route out of town.  There was an astonishing amount of water coming through those north Church Hill neigborhoods, and of course, the power was out too.  Man hole covers shooting out water, and Broad Street hill was like a white water cascade.  

I turned back when faced with what is usually a low bridge over a creek east of Church Hill was a rushing stream and finally made my way back to the west end an hour later after creeping through some alleys in Jackson Ward, through Oregon Hill, Windsor Farms, and back out of town that way.  Many expensive cars by the curb in Windsor Farms was up to the windows in water.

I have lived in Richmond all my life and never seen rain like that.  Here the only damage was all the neighbor's driveway gravel is now in my yard and the crawlspace under the house is full of water.

Ironically, Middlesex County got about an inch of rain and my long wet trip around Richmond was for nothing.  I sure did see some sights, though.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#4]
My front walkway got washed out, and I know I had flooding and whitewater at the back of my yard.  I haven't been able to check the fence back there, but I'm not optimistic.  The water rushing from the pond into the creek was flooding onto my property and it was LOUD!!!  If that fence is still up, I'm writing a letter to the fence company to tell them how much their fences kick butt.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Didnt even get rain.....
My Yard Needs it!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Didn't seem to get up this far north (NOVA).  Well,  there's always nextime w/Frances.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Didnt even get rain.....
My Yard Needs it!!!!

After what I saw last night in Richmond, you really better be careful what you wish for.....

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I left Staples Mill and Broad at about 4:00PM yesterday.  By the time I got to I95 North I had seen 3 pretty bad accidents (two flipped over vehicles and one smashed up).  The left lane of I95 was flooded with about 4-5" of rain due to the lack of drainage along the Jersey wall and I saw lots of folks driving too fast and hit the "lake" and hydroplane into the wall.  I saw one car about 100' in front of me due this and I saw a red jeep about 20' behind me do the same thing.  

By the time I got up to exit 110 the rain had all but stopped.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#9]
My office (Dickens Rd. area) got pounded, yet my house only about 20 miles to the northwest, got between 1-2 inches.  The office internet connection is still down, due to damaged Verizon equipment used by Quest.  No outside emails, or FTP for us...

It was a bad one, but apparently wasn't the record.  I think that honor is held by the reminants of Cammile or Agnas.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:31:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I went down to Church Hill last night...oh man.  There's about a 60' sinkhole at 31st and Broad with a couple of cars in it.  My wife took some pictures in Shockhoe Bottom.  I'll post some as soon as I find that stupid cable.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:19:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm in Hanover and got hammered. I have a small stream that flows through my property. It goes under the road. When the culvert filled, it acted like a dam and the creek rose 14 feet before it crossed the road!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I went down to Church Hill last night...oh man.  There's about a 60' sinkhole at 31st and Broad with a couple of cars in it.  My wife took some pictures in Shockhoe Bottom.  I'll post some as soon as I find that stupid cable.

I often wondered if you lived on Chimborazo hill since I first saw your handle.  I guess you're outside of town somewhere after reading your earlier post.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Crazy.  Charlottesville didn't see a drop.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I often wondered if you lived on Chimborazo hill since I first saw your handle.  I guess you're outside of town somewhere after reading your earlier post.

I lived in Church Hill for 6 years, in different places...mainly north of Marshall St.  But yes, that is where the name came from (that, and I love volcanos).
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Chesterfield only averaged about 6" of rain but we had (and still have) numerous roads that became impassable.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#16]
...and since the subject of this thread is "flood," I just looked at the weather map and that damned hurricane is boiling up around Cuba.  I am already trying to deal with leaks in two rental properties and now more rain.

If it snows this winter in Virginia like it rained this summer we'll be shooting wolves off snow drifts in the suburbs of Richmond.  In the meantime, I guess we better get braced up again.

This is crazy.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I went down to Church Hill last night...oh man.  There's about a 60' sinkhole at 31st and Broad with a couple of cars in it.

How could you tell the damage from the status quo?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]
http://tdcar.timesdispatch.com/Storm0831/storm0831.html
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If it snows this winter in Virginia like it rained this summer we'll be shooting wolves off snow drifts in the suburbs of Richmond.  In the meantime, I guess we better get braced up again.

This is crazy.

You leave us wolves alone.  Shoot all the coyotes you want but not us.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I went down to Church Hill last night...oh man.  There's about a 60' sinkhole at 31st and Broad with a couple of cars in it.

Hey man, stop knockin' my old hood!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey man, stop knockin' my old hood!

Yeah!  What he said.

I work for a preservation group that is trying to promote what is left of areas like Church Hill and it is far from a sinkhole.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yeah!  What he said.

I work for a preservation group that is trying to promote what is left of areas like Church Hill and it is far from a sinkhole.

You mean like that meth lab style trailer park behind the hill?

Relax, back when I was in high school in the '80s (pre revitalization), Church Hill was the brunt of all jokes.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah!  What he said.

Relax, back when I was in high school in the '80s (pre revitalization), Church Hill was the brunt of all jokes.  

I know what you mean.

I'll admit that trailer park is pretty bad and I am hoping the whole damn thing washed down into Fulton Bottom.  I can't really say that I consider that part of Church Hill.

Everybody who thought Church Hill was pretty funny back in the 1980s now wish they had the foresight to buy up entire blocks of the area.  I was raised in Bon Air and wouldn't have made a trip to Church Hill back then in a Brink's truck.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Don't be so damned ungrateful.  Sure, it may be an eye sore, but we have to get our meth from somewhere.  It doesn't grow on trees you know.  Those people work under dangerous conditions, putting their life and freedom at risk for us.

BTW, I think I exagerated the depth of the sinkhole....I think it's actually about 25'-30' deep.  Funny thing is that the street sign is still standing straight up in the asphault.  I tried to get a pic, but I think it was too dark.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't be so damned ungrateful.  Sure, it may be an eye sore, but we have to get our meth from somewhere.  It doesn't grow on trees you know.  Those people work under dangerous conditions, putting their life and freedom at risk for us.

BTW, I think I exagerated the depth of the sinkhole....I think it's actually about 25'-30' deep.  Funny thing is that the street sign is still standing straight up in the asphault.  I tried to get a pic, but I think it was too dark.

I thought that "Richmond: Easy To Leave" would be the t-shirt of the year in this place.  Now, however, I am convinced that "Richmond: Meth Doesn't Grow On Trees" might be even better.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been working 12-14 hr days to repair damaged cables and terminals. Mostly in King William, Old Church, and Dawn areas. I hate this crap. I have to work Sunday and Labor day also, at least they were nice enought to let me off Saturday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top