Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2004 9:59:10 PM EDT
I have a question. Has any one used the Russian silver bear ammo in a AR yet? How does it compair to Wolf? I am not looking for match grade just cheap reliablable paper punch maybe steel popper type ammo. I have the SS-109 saved up for the SHTF day in the mean time I still want to shoot to maintain the skills with out ...shocking as it seems..  be in the poor house any more then I already am! thanks guys and Ladies for the help!

VA-Spook
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:56:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL GUNNUT LOL
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thinking about a ammo man buy for the Wolf .223 myself untill I get my new reloader going to print out M855 in mass.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe that wolf from ammoman should be a bulk buy wonder how cheap it gets with a cpl folks getting several 1000's of rds from them I could maybe go in for 2000 rds of it any one else?

Va-Spook
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't ever say I have bought that much at one time ..lol
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I use silver bear quite a bit.  I got some from a friend of mine that sold some trying to get some cash.  For plinking, its hard to beat.  I have never had a jam or a FTF or FTE.  I'm not sure a I would use it for a defensive round though.  Alot of people dont like it because it is a nickle plated steel case but I have never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm plinking with Barnal that I got from Widner's on a clearance eariler this year. Runs fine, no FTF's
or FTE'S.    I voted other in the poll and it doesn't show!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#10]
BOB your answer shows but I guess it dosent count for much with the other votes already there just vote again maybe?

VA-Spook
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I chose other in the poll simply because I use the Silver Bear 62 grain bimetal hollow point that AIM Surplus sells for $59 per 500 rounds...

Been through about 2k rounds with no problems related to the ammo.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't use the Wolf ammo, except in my AK. The case is covered in laquer (this was some time ago so they may have changed), when you heat up your chamber it melts, then if you let a round sit in the chamber for any amount of time it cools and sticks the casing to the inside of the chamber. It's happened to me twice, once with a LE full auto M4 and again with my M-96. It will never touch my new M4. Just MHO.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I wouldn't use the Wolf ammo, except in my AK. The case is covered in laquer (this was some time ago so they may have changed), when you heat up your chamber it melts, then if you let a round sit in the chamber for any amount of time it cools and sticks the casing to the inside of the chamber. It's happened to me twice, once with a LE full auto M4 and again with my M-96. It will never touch my new M4. Just MHO.

I've had the same thing happen on FA guns.  I've also seen it happen on semi's, but it takes a little longer.  Good stuff for AKs, just not sure it's worth the savings on an AR15-variant.  I must admit, though, Anthony seems to be doing okay with his!  Me, I'll take SA surplus any day of the week....

Black Fox
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:  Me, I'll take SA surplus any day of the week....

I would have to agree with Blackfox there. For the price of the stuff it's not too bad. I have about 1000 to 2000 casings of it ready to be reloaded. Just need to get that set up soon. I used to buy it from Dan's ammo out of PA, I think. Free shipping on the cases. That's a good deal. I used to go thru J&G, but the shipping would kill me.

VA-Spook
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I don't even see how SA is a choice since I haven't seen any on the market in quite awhile. The stuff that is left, people are charging an arm and a leg for.

You guys don't need to shoot Wolf, leave it for us poor folk that can't afford the high dollar ammo.

I would be willing to trade ya paychecks and we can see who's poor.That SA was pretty abundent a while ago not sure I haven't had to buy any but I am looking for more now.Anthony that guy that will be BRD hill he have good prices?

VA-Spook
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I voted for the mythical SA Surplus.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I still have some SA surplus loaded up in stripper clips and bandoleers somewhere in my basement.  No, you can't have it.  I haven't seen any at gun shows since at last January.

My dad bought me a half case of Wolf 55gr for my birthday.  I had always avoided the stuff because of some of the stories floating around, but with it being free and all, I had to try it.  Is it match grade?  No.  Is it dirty as hell?  Yes.  That said, it goes bang when I want it to and hits generally where I tell it to.  For a po' folk like me, it'll work.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey!

I will be looking at getting a 1000 rounds of Wolf 55gr fmj (poly) next week from ammoman(hopefully). Currently $125.00 for a 1000 delivered. If you can get a price from the guy at BRD please post it! Like mentioned above, I don't think there would be any great savings unless you buy a pallet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top