Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2004 7:40:06 PM EDT
Went to the Highlands Festival in Abingdon today.  Tons of people from all over the country in downtown.

There I was with my G19 on my hip.  Didn't get any dirty looks, didn't get detained or arrested.

Had a few people tell me they were glad I was exercising my 2nd Amendment right.

If only we could cede NOVA to Maryland.
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I love Abingdon.  I dated a girl from there.  Her parents lived right on Main Street in beautiful old house that backed up to Plum Alley.  Really cool place...her dad is a photographer down there and had his studio in what used to be a pharmacy that was attached to the house.  Walk through the freezing cold and then warm up with a bourbon by the round fireplace at The Hardware.  Man, I really miss that town!
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a nice little town.

Ate at the Hardware Co a couple of times.  Not bad food, but too damn high dollar unless I'm on the company tab.

Only bad thing is there isn't really any nightlife.  Place was closed down at 9PM Saturday night.  We couldn't find a damn thing to do.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Went to the Highlands Festival in Abingdon today.  Tons of people from all over the country in downtown.

There I was with my G19 on my hip.  Didn't get any dirty looks, didn't get detained or arrested.

Had a few people tell me they were glad I was exercising my 2nd Amendment right.

NO. YOU KEEP IT.

IF YOU TRY TO TURNTHEM OVER TO US YOU WILL BE TIED TO A TREE AND WATCH AS WE
HAMMER YOUR GUNS INTO PAPER CLIPS.  WHEN WE ARE FINISHED WITH THAT WE WILL
TATTO "I LOVE KERRY" ALL OVER YOUR FACE.

Glad you had fun.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For those of us down here (West of Roanoke, sans Blacksburg), NOVA isn't really a part of Virginia.  It has been overrun by people who have no idea what Virginia and living in the commonwealth is about.

What sucks is to have to deals with laws that do not really apply down this way, simply because some soccer mom from Fairfax thinks it to be a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For those of us down here (West of Roanoke, sans Blacksburg), NOVA isn't really a part of Virginia.  It has been overrun by people who have no idea what Virginia and living in the commonwealth is about.

What sucks is to have to deals with laws that do not really apply down this way, simply because some soccer mom from Fairfax thinks it to be a good idea.

Better watch out.  The retirees are moving into southern/southwestern VA and bringing the developers with them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Not this far down.

Living in BFE has advantages.

The Blacksburg area has been completely overrun by soccer mommies.  Abingdon & Bristol are on their way towards that end, but hopefully we are stemming the tide.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#10]
27 years and 6 months.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't worry SoVA,

We are actively working to win NoVA back.

We need your help with doing what you can to retain control of the state legislature and hopefully the Governorship will return to R as well.

Arlington is a lost cause, but overall, NoVA is close to 50/50.

-LS
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#14]

One of the areas of this state has got to keep the standardized test scores above the bare minimum.

One does, but Henrico County is not in NOVA, Sir...
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

One of the areas of this state has got to keep the standardized test scores above the bare minimum.

I guess that is why this end of the state regularly has the highest test scores.

Wise Co
Scott Co

Two of the best school systems in the state.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'd rather stay up here and WIN BACK my state, then sit down there and auction it off.

If you hadn't of posted this in several threads I might have known, or thought, you were kidding...

This is at least the third one I've seen where it's Southern Virginia against Northern Virginia.

I think that SUCKS!!!

Yeah, I hate northern Virginia and the condescending assholes that inhabit that godforsaken area.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'd rather be up here in NoVA where there is little to no chance that my mother is also my sister, or aunt......

Exactly the attitude I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Trade you guys NOVA for Baltimore City.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yeah, I hate northern Virginia and the condescending assholes that inhabit that godforsaken area.

As one who lives in South Eastern VA but works in the NOVA area I can say you are wrong about our brothers and sisters in that area.  Believe it or not we have some outstanding gun-rights folks in NOVA and you need to look no further than VCDL for proof.  I've also had dinner with a dozen members who opened carried and we didn't have a single second or concerned look directed at us.  Try not to buy into the hype or the newspapers, NOVA isn't a lost cause and every pro-2nd Amendment citizen in this state should stand beside the folks that live there because if they lose their rights, so do we!

Come on out to BRD and meet some of these guy and gals and if you don’t walk away with a few new friends from NOVA I will personally refund your entry cost.  I’d even be willing to bet you and Shivan end up having a good laugh.  He’s really quite a character in person  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:46:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
(snip)Shivan who can be quite abrasive on the boards(snip)

No, not Shivan?!?!

See ya next dinner Ed
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:01:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Come on out to BRD and meet some of these guy and gals and if you don’t walk away with a few new friends from NOVA I will personally refund your entry cost.  I’d even be willing to bet you and Shivan end up having a good laugh.  He’s really quite a character in person  

Too far for me to drive.  I generally limit myself to no more than 2-3 trips upstate a year.  And two of those are to the Lynchburg area for deer season.

I was being somewhat facetious with that one post.  Gun owners are a different breed.  Usually the only people who get my goat are those who think that everyone on this end of the state lives in little shacks, have no teeth, and screw our sisters every day.  And actually believe it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:02:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Trade you guys NOVA for Baltimore City.

That would show him, huh???

Good Lord that's an uneven trade.  Baltimore is the nastiest place I've ever been.  And I've been in some trashy cities.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:27:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Actually, you guys would get baseball, another football team, the Inner Harbor, a bunch of strip clubs, ESPN Zone- it's not all bad.

Who do we talk to about making this happen?

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Arlington is a lost cause,

-LS

That hurts man.....really hurts....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Oh com'n guys. let's be nice...

I am on the Loudoun/Fairfax boarder, i.e. Potomac Falls. I greatly appreciate our amenities and find plenty of conservatives to play with. I am very pleased to live here and find that having the limited few liberal dipshits transmigrating through the area amusing.

I also had the pleasure to vacation down in Sandbridge a few weeks ago and had the opportunity to visit the surrounding areas, i.e. Tidewater, Pogo, VA Beach, and Gloucester (sp?). I was struck with awesome beauty of the place and something else...unlike in previous vacations out of state, I was still armed... I did not have to give up my rights as I would have in Delaware or MD. The people were great, honest, and civil. Yea... there probably are idiosyncrasies that us NoVA folks have, a function of being part of the Beltway culture... and I am sure there some idiosyncrasies in the southern/western side... I say so what! As long this state continues to vote people like Sen Allen, Rep Wolf, and Rep Goode (just to name few) into office (damn even our Dem Gov is pro-gun), I'll be proud to be a Virginian.

By the way... my vacation convinced me to start looking for land to build our second home in the VA Beach/Sandbridge area!

Having grown up in MD... I can say in comparison VA is a paradise (yes, NoVA too!)
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-LS

You wouldn't happen to have some close friends in Reston, would you?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Once upon a time in the kingdom of Heaven, God was missing for 6 days. Eventually, Michael the archangel found him, resting on the 7th day. He inquired of God, "Where have you been?"

God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds. "Look Michael, see what I've made?"

Archangel Michael looked puzzled and asked, "What is it?" "It's a planet," replied God, "and I've put life on it. I am going to call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance."

"Balance?" inquired Michael, still confused. God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth, "For example, Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth while Southern Europe is going to be poor. The Middle East over there will be a hot spot. Over there I have placed a continent of white people and over there, a continent of black people," God continued, pointing to different countries.

"This one will be extremely hot and arid, while this one will be bitterly cold and covered with ice," God explained.

The Archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to a place..."What's that?"

God said, "That's Virginia. It has beautiful mountains, bright, clear streams, a wonderful shoreline, a temperate climate, green grass, tall trees, and it will be the birthplace of some of the greatest men in the world, and where the creators of the greatest government will live."

"But God, what about balance?" said the Archangel.

"Ah, wait until you see the twits I'm putting next to them in Washington, DC!"

Anyway, I see a lot more Bush stickers up here in Fairfax than I do Kerry, you know. I mean, just because it is more liberal than the rest of the state, doesn't mean it's liberal. District 11 has elected a Republican for as long as I can remember.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Oh com'n guys. let's be nice...

I am on the Loudoun/Fairfax boarder, i.e. Potomac Falls. I greatly appreciate our amenities and find plenty of conservatives to play with. I am very pleased to live here and find that having the limited few liberal dipshits transmigrating through the area amusing.

I also had the pleasure to vacation down in Sandbridge a few weeks ago and had the opportunity to visit the surrounding areas, i.e. Tidewater, Pogo, VA Beach, and Gloucester (sp?). I was struck with awesome beauty of the place and something else...unlike in previous vacations out of state, I was still armed... I did not have to give up my rights as I would have in Delaware or MD. The people were great, honest, and civil. Yea... there probably are idiosyncrasies that us NoVA folks have, a function of being part of the Beltway culture... and I am sure there some idiosyncrasies in the southern/western side... I say so what! As long this state continues to vote people like Sen Allen, Rep Wolf, and Rep Goode (just to name few) into office (damn even our Dem Gov is pro-gun), I'll be proud to be a Virginian.

By the way... my vacation convinced me to start looking for land to build our second home in the VA Beach/Sandbridge area!

Having grown up in MD... I can say in comparison VA is a paradise (yes, NoVA too!)

BTDT, live in Norfolk now. Tried to move to NoVA and absolutely hated it. I felt my stress level drop as I passws Quantico on I-95 heading south.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:52:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-LS

You wouldn't happen to have some close friends in Reston, would you?  Just curious.

Well, if you are refering to the incident surrounding open carry, no I don't know the parties involved. I am glad I was not involved in any of that mess. I can say that the aftermath had some supervisors giving roll call training about what was and was not legal.  If I told you what the training consisted of you would get a laugh. I am glad to see that gun owners are able to exercise their rights and protect themselves and their families. I still think concealed carry is the best way to go personally.

Arlington really is a great place to live. Very safe, lots of places to eat and work with metro access. I have to admit there are some liberals in the area but thats part of life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top