Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2004 11:42:46 AM EDT
Whats up guys.... I have a ? is this a nice place to live? We "wife , kids" are thinking to move VA.
It's to  hot in FLA. need a break from the heat !!! how cold does it get in that part of the woods, love the cold

Thanks guys....
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Whats up guys.... I have a ? is this a nice place to live? We "wife , kids" are thinking to move VA.
It's to  hot in FLA. need a break from the heat !!! how cold does it get in that part of the woods, love the cold

Thanks guys....

IIRC 556ammo lives there and is a full-time Sheriffs Deputy.  He also sells ammo on the side at REALLY good prices!
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
isn't this where they build the big boats
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
i live close enough there to say  if you dont like the weather ... stick around it will change! it gets hot as hell here too. most of the time the coldest comes after deer season.     big flat tops here!
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i live close enough there to say  if you dont like the weather ... stick around it will change! it gets hot as hell here too. most of the time the coldest comes after deer season.     big flat tops here!

Isn't there 4 seasons ?
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Updated: Sold on its third day on the market. Yippee, I'm gonna buy some land to hunt and shoot on in NC!!!
Shameless advertisement
Home for sale in Newport news.
4 bdrm.
5 person jacuzzi
Wood Fireplace
Central heat and air.
Premium security system w/backup power.
Huge skylights in all upstairs rooms.
Picture windows w/wooded view.
Beautiful cabinets in kitchen.
1 1/2 bath.
1 1/2 car garage.
Aluminum siding.
Huge wrap around deck. (two level, wows everyone)
Nice neighborhood.
Corner lot, lake view.
More pics available.
Not in a flood zone (no flood insurance req'd)
New fiberglass 3 tab roof.
Can do FSBO.
Several board members have spent considerable time at the home, so references are available.
$145,000, price neg.

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Shameless advertisement
4 bdrm.
5 person jacuzzi
Wood Fireplace
Central heat and air.
1 1/2 bath.
1 1/2 car garage.
Aluminum siding.
Nice neighborhood.
Corner lot, lake view.
More pics available.
Can do FSBO.
Several board members have spent considerable time at the home, so references are available.
$145,000, price neg.
personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/houseflowers.JPG

Nice place Slacker!  Tooly, NN is nice (like any where else, parts are nice and parts aren't so nice) but if you can get up the road a little further, around Williamsburg then I think you'd be set.   The problem I have with Newport News and Hampton is Interstate 64 that runs through them.  It's a freaking nightmare to say the least.  I've resorted to taking 460 to 295 just so I don't have to travel on the penisula.  

What line of work are you in?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:12:56 AM EDT
[#8]
4 Seasons with a lite winter  compared to Mass or NY. Normaly less than 6" of snowfall. Snow is gone in days. Average temps Nov to Feb 38 deg to 49 deg.

Newport New just like anyplace has its bad and good areas. Lower Newport News is one of THE worst areas for the 5 city group but it is a small area that is pretty much cut off from the rest of the city.
Home prices are fair for both seller and buyer. Land use is mostly bedroom communitys with some heavy industry. Land can be found by the acre on the outskirts of the city. Rush hour traffic can be a bitch in someplaces.
Area employers  N.N. Shipyard, Airforce bases, NASA.

I have traveled in the USA alot and have not found a better location than this area. I live here because I want to not because I have to.  Close to the mountains, Ocean, Richmond, Williamsburg, DC, NC, W.VA all = plenty of stuff to do.

Why Newport News ?

Chesterfield County is a fast growing county outside of Richmond thats seems to be enjoying steady planned growth. The seasons last longer and it is only about 90 miles from NN.

The Blue Ridge mountains have a longer winter with snow on the ground for week to months.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I live between Richmond and Charlottesville, and like it.  That corridor is kind of bare once you get out of Henrico County, but that's part of the draw.  With the exception of a couple of bridge choke points, Richmond traffic is a breeze compared to other places.  Honestly, I could go for less severe winters.   Ever been in a good ice storm?  You eventually will if you live in that hundred mile gap between Charlottesville and up to 2-3 miles from the oceanfront.

Back to SE VA, if more land is in your future (though not enough to shoot on), Suffolk may be a better choice.  The construction & traffic on 64 in Hampton/NN is so bad, that I sometimes take the back way (460) into the area.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been to Slackers home for sale many times, it's a really nice place, nice neighborhood.

I also live very close to Newport News. It's a nice area.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Shameless advertisement
4 bdrm.
5 person jacuzzi
Wood Fireplace
Central heat and air.
1 1/2 bath.
1 1/2 car garage.
Aluminum siding.
Nice neighborhood.
Corner lot, lake view.
More pics available.
Can do FSBO.
$145,000, price neg.

Hey, get the hell out of our forum you defector!!!  

Nice house BTW.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shameless advertisement
4 bdrm.
5 person jacuzzi
Wood Fireplace
Central heat and air.
1 1/2 bath.
1 1/2 car garage.
Aluminum siding.
Nice neighborhood.
Corner lot, lake view.
More pics available.
Can do FSBO.
$145,000, price neg.

Nice house BTW.

Nobody named Omar should be able to legally own a black rifle!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Slacker ---> <--- Chimborazo
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shameless advertisement
4 bdrm.
5 person jacuzzi
Wood Fireplace
Central heat and air.
1 1/2 bath.
1 1/2 car garage.
Aluminum siding.
Nice neighborhood.
Corner lot, lake view.
More pics available.
Can do FSBO.
$145,000, price neg.

Nice house BTW.

Yeah, he was a little sad when i talked to him down in NC about leaving VA.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey Slacker!  Looks like you're on Colony Rd.  Right? Can remember when there was a fairly large dip in the road about where your place is IIRC...btw, if you'd like to advertise your home FSBO (free and no obligation whatsoever!) on a site that's advertised in the Homes & Land Mag each month, let me know and I'll set you up. I've got space reserved on the back inside page. You should get a tremendous amount of exposure to serious buyers  - we're in a tight seller's market now and you should be able to get numerous offers in a very short period of time. Just sold a ranch around the corner from you for $130,000 on Nicewood - sounds like you may be priced very competitively. [email protected]  website: peninsula-homefinder.com Edited for disclaimer: Slacker, if you're listed with a real estate broker, please disregard my offer. Sorry!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:48:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hey Slacker!  Looks like you're on Colony Rd.  Right? Can remember when there was a fairly large dip in the road about where your place is IIRC...btw, if you'd like to advertise your home FSBO (free and no obligation whatsoever!) on a site that's advertised in the Homes & Land Mag each month, let me know and I'll set you up. I've got space reserved on the back inside page. You should get a tremendous amount of exposure to serious buyers  - we're in a tight seller's market now and you should be able to get numerous offers in a very short period of time. Just sold a ranch around the corner from you for $130,000 on Nicewood - sounds like you may be priced very competitively. [email protected]  website: peninsula-homefinder.com Edited for disclaimer: Slacker, if you're listed with a real estate broker, please disregard my offer. Sorry!

The home is in StoneyBrook estates. Thanks for the offer, but it is listed with an agent.
If it doesn't work out I'll IM ya. thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:00:17 AM EDT
[#17]
OK. BTW, just did a search of the MLS for homes in Stoneybrook.  Couldn't find you. You sure the agent has put it in the system? With this market, seems odd you're not getting plenty of showings.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shameless advertisement
4 bdrm.
5 person jacuzzi
Wood Fireplace
Central heat and air.
1 1/2 bath.
1 1/2 car garage.
Aluminum siding.
Nice neighborhood.
Corner lot, lake view.
More pics available.
Can do FSBO.
$145,000, price neg.

Nice house BTW.

Nobody named Omar should be able to legally own a black rifle!

Hey, don't make me go sand-man on your ass.  You oughta see the revolver I have.  Bought it from some whacked out terrorist sympathizer at a gunshow.  Man, what a freak that guy was.

Oh crap...I think we just hijacked a thread.  Hey Tooly, come check out Richmond too (although the job market is probably better in the Tidewater area).
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank you guys !!!! My wife can transfer, would love a colder winter then that , I was raised in New york ,I do love the cold !!!

Thanks again guys!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top