Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2004 11:44:41 AM EDT
Can anyone who has attended a recent show in Salem comment on the "quality" of the show for an AR15 enthusiast these days.   I kind of swore off gunshows in this area last year after going to a couple in Roanoke that sucked badly (crammed down in the side hall).

I'm thinking of going to the Salem one May 1,2, but I'm afraid that I'll be dissapointed again.   I'm thinking of picking up a few stripped lowers, as well as assorted parts (gas rings, pins, etc),  do you remember anyone selling AR stuff like this, or will it be nothing but deer rifles and jewlery?
Link Posted: 3/26/2004 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't attended the one in Salem, but the same dealers seem to run the C&E circut. I would be willing to bet that you will be able to find a couple of dealers selling AR parts. Stripped lowers are harder to come by at the shows.

I say go and see what you think. This way you will know to go the next time or not.
Link Posted: 3/26/2004 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
or will it be nothing but deer rifles and jewlery?

Mostly

IMHO the only shows in this area worth going to are the ones at the Roanoke Civic Center from April - September (when there's no hockey or basketball and the colliseum is available instead of cramming everything into the Exhibit Hall). If you're in the area and looking for parts, check out Roanoke Firearms. They build quite a few ARs and may have what you want in-stock. Good prices on ammo too. Cheaper than Ammoman.
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Most recent one in Roanoke (few weeks back), was in the 'side hall', only 30% dealers, the rest was junk.   I was really disappointing.  It was almost as bad as the last Salem I went to.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I went with $1000 cash in my pocket, had a whole list of stuff to get including simple things like cast lead 45 acp bullets.   I left with $993 in my pocket.  I won't be back any time soon
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I went to yesterday's Salem show as well.
Very disappointing.  Alot of 'crap',  Very disappointing.

If anyone has suggestions where a better show would be, please speak up.

I'm really interested in finding a stocking RRA dealer.   And I'd really like to fondle some RRA warmints and others before purchasing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Just go to the Richmond Showplace show. I only go once every 4-6 months or so, but I can usually fill up on reloading components, cheap ammo,accessories,magazines, and parts.
Dark Sun Surplus (IIRC-though it may have been someone else) was selling stripped lowers for $99 at the last Charlottesville show (2 weekends ago). They're always at the Richmond Showplace show.
I've been to shows in Charlottesville, Fisherville,Roanoke and Salem,as well as the Hampton coliseum, and I haven't really been pleased with any of them (though the Roanoke Civic Center show was the best of all of these). Bigger is truly better in VA shows.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Dark Sun and Quantico arms were both at the show, but neither had any lowers.  Dark Sun did have a preban AR that they wanted over $2000 for (IIRC)... That was worth a good laugh :)

I have a buddy in Charlotte, and I go to shows there quite often...  Maybe that's why the Salem and Roanoke shows seem to suck so badly.    Only problem is I can't buy guns there :(   (Doesn't the prohibition on buying long guns out of state end sometime soon?)

I found a local FFL (Bud's Guns in Christiansburg) who will do transfers for $15, so I'm not going to bother with shows in the area anymore.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Doesn't the prohibition on buying long guns out of state end sometime soon?

I think it depends on the state.  I bought a Yugo SKS in NC without any problems last summer.  Down there as long as you show a CCW you can take it home the same day.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top