Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/2/2004 4:54:00 PM EDT
Info from Mike@TSC:

Well, its time for the spring MG shoot at Hite Hollow. The date is April 24 2004. I have talked to the park ranger Larry Rogers and we have decided a few changes were in order for the shoot this time. First on the list, if you bring any steel plates to shoot at they have to be placed at the top of the range, 150 yards out from the shooting line. Next, tanerite has also been a problem, all tanerite must be placed at the top of the range 150 yards out. All tanerite must be suspended from the ground, last time the grounds keepers spent all day repairing holes in the ground from massive tanerite charges. Larry said they spend enough time repairing damages from vandalism at the range and don't need to spend even more time filling in holes from the tanerite. So if you are going to bring tanerite you will also need some string or wire to hang it on. We had a real good turn out at the fall shoot last year, near as we can tell about 50 people showed up. This made things a little cramped on the shooting line. We even had some shooters end up over on the pistol range do to lack of room. This year the shooting line will be moved out in front of the benches 10 feet. Larry is going to put a tape across the ground for the new firing line. When you walk up to the line to shoot your feet must be behind the line and the muzzle must be over the line. I hope this will aid in some of the overcrowding at the range by allowing more people to shoot and enjoy the day. The last thing is safety glasses, if you forget them come see me, I have plenty of extra glasses. We take a lot of great pictures every time we do this shoot and there is always someone without safety glasses, we catch hell about this when we post the pictures on the boards. BRING GLASSES, if you forget SEE ME and I will give you some. Well, that it, start loading those mags and belts and we hope to see everyone on the 24th.
Mike @ TSC CO.  804-994-5478

Please note, this is NOT a machinegun only event.  There where several AR15.com people at the fall shoot with semi's that had a blast.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Which day is it?  The title says 4/17 but the text says 4/24.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
4/24 is the date of the shoot.  

We usually have 2-3 cases of Tannerite to shoot so we will need some way to string them up off the ground.  Probably a dowel rod and string for each charge.  

We will also need some way to hold the steel plates up.  The ground is mostly rock at the top of the hill so that might be a little hard.  I've been looking for some I-beams and found some on the Fairfax County parkway extension.  Wonder if they would mind if I grab a few of their cut pieces.  Just not sure how heavy they are and I'd have to lug them across 20-30 yards of mud.

Looking forward to the shoot again.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#3]
See link (near bottom of page) to pics from last years MG shoot!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=24&t=172858&page=3&w=searchPop

Looks like a great time! Hope I can make it this year.

-LS
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I might try to make it, altough without any NFA toys, I'll have to sit at the kiddie table.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I will try to make it again.  Had a blast last fall.  May even have my Ar built by then.

I have a request to help the range, Larry and the rest of us who shoot there.  I will be bringing some containers for the spent brass.  My M-I-L owns New Life Recycling.  I will turn in the brass and give the money to the range fund.  This is better than throwing it out.  That's if no one has a problem with that.

Take care and hope to see you there.
Joe
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 1:56:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#8]
AWESOME!!

i was just wondering yesterday when the next one was going to be.  

the last one was one hell of a good time!  i cant wait!
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I will be bringing some containers for the spent brass.  My M-I-L owns New Life Recycling.  I will turn in the brass and give the money to the range fund.

and

This year the shooting line will be moved out in front of the benches 10 feet. Larry is going to put a tape across the ground for the new firing line

What if we put tarps along the ground for at the shooting line. That way the brass will mostly land on the tarps and can be collected up by lifting and pouring into buckets...

Of course, someone would have to bring tarps....

-LS
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got several that I can bring but they are not canvas and may do some melting from all of that hot brass. They are just the cheap Home Depot ones.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I put a tarp under my 1919 and get quite a few holes thanks to the hot brass.  

What about steel cases?  You will probably get some of that dumped in with the brass.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What about steel cases?  You will probably get some of that dumped in with the brass.  

That's what I was thinking!
Link Posted: 3/4/2004 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#13]
In fact, I KNOW there will be steel cases.  I plan on depositing around 3-4,000 of them personally.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2004 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Got a big magnet?  maybe one of the nail rakes the sell at home depot for cleaning up construction areas?
Link Posted: 3/5/2004 4:07:51 AM EDT
[#15]
hey what if we set the tannerite on a piece of wood?  i know i might go through it but it wouldnt really take out too much dirt w/ it would it?
Link Posted: 3/5/2004 4:14:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
hey what if we set the tannerite on a piece of wood?  i know i might go through it but it wouldnt really take out too much dirt w/ it would it?

All tanerite must be suspended from the ground, last time the grounds keepers spent all day repairing holes in the ground from massive tanerite charges. Larry said they spend enough time repairing damages from vandalism at the range and don't need to spend even more time filling in holes from the tanerite. So if you are going to bring tanerite you will also need some string or wire to hang it on.

It's not our house, so lets play by the rules so we get invited back in the Fall.  I would suggest you bring some lengths of 1x2's, drywall screws, and a cordless drill with a charged battery to quickly put together a makeshift apparatus to hang the tannerite from.  

Thanks, Steve.
Link Posted: 3/5/2004 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#17]
My plan is to bring 1 or 2 parts of an old surplus steel bedframe. The king that separate in the middle and then folds. What I'm thinking is, that I can unfold the short portion and drive it into the dirt with a 5-lb hammer to form a long bar like this ->  |''''''''|

We could then hang various targets (even Tannerite) using string, or wire, or chain...

Just need to drive it deep enough to withstand the pounding of bullets but not too deep that it can't be knocked out to fold up and take home.

Sound like a good idea?

-LS
Link Posted: 3/5/2004 5:02:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, I have a magnet and usually bring it to pickup the links.  

As far as the tannerite.  All we need to do is get a couple of the steel fence stakes they sell at Home Depot (the cheap ones) and run a string between them.  Like the photo longshot_va posted. heh.   We will need a lot of string or one for each blast.  Not too expensive.  You unscrew the tannerite top and place another string inside.  Screw the top back on and attach the string to the string running between the stakes.

The explosion is actually much better when suspended because the ground doesn't absorb most of the blast.   BOOM.

Link Posted: 3/5/2004 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#19]
OK it was just a thought...
Link Posted: 3/5/2004 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I will be bringing TANNERITE to sell $85 case. I will be also selling federal/LC 5.56 ammo at $175 a case 1000rds [tax included] if you are interested email me on how many you might want to buy. just need to know how much to bring. I will bring plenty of 2/4 s and rope and duct tape fot the shoot.I will try to break last year record of 18 bottles of tannerite and 40LBS of flour. you can reach me at 757 715-4689 or email [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/6/2004 6:25:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Jason, you get the 50 back from Barrett yet?  
Link Posted: 3/6/2004 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Jason,
I have a cordless drill, we just need a paint mixer and a bucket so we don't have to mix that stuff by hand again.    
Link Posted: 3/7/2004 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#23]
yes I  got my BARRETT back and mike from TSC company is shorting a extra  barrel I got to 19 inches.jason
Link Posted: 3/8/2004 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Just suspend targets downrange between broomsticks or 1" wood dowels. They are dirt cheap at Ben Franklin, Lowes, Home Depot et al. Steel downrange will be heavy to fetch after you are done. Thunder Ranch uses 12" blocks of ice which make a nice target. If anyone knows of an ice house in the Staunton area post a response and see if we can get some.
http://www.icecarvers.com/pix/tank2.JPG

Should be more M-60's and MG-42 coming up.

Link Posted: 3/8/2004 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
yes I  got my BARRETT back and mike from TSC company is shorting a extra  barrel I got to 19 inches.jason

Jason, you are one sick sick person, you need a few hours with Jack.
Mike @ TSC CO.
Do I need to re-park it??
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/64578/50barrel.jpg
Link Posted: 3/8/2004 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Mike I can't believe you did that for Jason.  You KNOW he will be near you when he starts blasting that thing.    I'm sure he has more than the 300 rounds he had last time.  

Everybody better double up with hearing protection.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2004 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Everybody better double up with hearing protection.  

and bring some tylenol too.  

im also parking as far away as i can this time too.  last time my rear view mirror got shaken off of my windshield.
Link Posted: 3/9/2004 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Holy shit!  What is the velocity loss??

Benefits?

I think Jason is just looking for a new CCW piece......
Link Posted: 3/9/2004 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#29]
WOW!!! I love that barrel mike. can wait till I  shoot it . about the velosity loss, I dont care I bought my barrett not for long range competion .but to tear stuff up. I WILL SEEK MENTAL HEALTH SOON. LOL JASON IN VA
Link Posted: 3/9/2004 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
WOW!!! I love that barrel mike. can wait till I  shoot it . about the velosity loss, I dont care I bought my barrett not for long range competion .but to tear stuff up. I WILL SEEK MENTAL HEALTH SOON. LOL JASON IN VA

Jason just wondering if anyone knew...

I think it is cool as hell actually.  Do you have one short and one long barrel??
Link Posted: 3/10/2004 4:55:52 AM EDT
[#31]
yes I have the full 32 inch factory barrel and decided to buy another barrel and get it cut to 19inches.jason
Link Posted: 3/10/2004 4:56:33 AM EDT
[#32]
yes I have the full 32 inch factory barrel and decided to buy another barrel and get it cut to 19inches.jason
Link Posted: 3/12/2004 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I might try to make it, altough without any NFA toys, I'll have to sit at the kiddie table.

Ditto for me. It'll be worth it to be around all of that Class 3 goodness though. This'll be the first MG shoot I've ever been to, and I can't wait!
Link Posted: 3/12/2004 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't worry Subzero.  Last fall was my first, outside the military, and these were a bunch of great guys.  They even share.
Link Posted: 3/13/2004 7:02:19 AM EDT
[#35]
LS,
We have been out for a long time. We had a really nice used one in for a good deal but it was a .40.  IM me with a number I can reach you and the next XD-9 in the door is yours if you want it.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2004 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I will also have federal/lc ammo for sale out there $175 per thousand.I sold out last year.jason
Link Posted: 3/15/2004 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, 7 we have trouble, the Barrett functioned falsely with the short barrel. I think we are all going to hate Jason at the shoot.
Mike @ TSC CO.
!!!More pictures click here!!!
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/64578/50barrel002.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/64578/50barrel006.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/64578/50barrel007.jpg

Link Posted: 3/16/2004 5:16:00 AM EDT
[#38]
^
|
|
That is just plain SICK!!!!  I want one!!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2004 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#39]
New Video from Fall 2003 Hite Hollow
href=Hite Hollow Video

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-11/64578/machinegun102503089SMALL.JPG

Link Posted: 3/19/2004 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow, awesome video.  Its going to be tough to top that this spring.
Link Posted: 3/20/2004 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
New Video from Fall 2003 Hite Hollow

home.comcast.net/~zastarri/Hite_Hollow_Finished.wmv

Link Posted: 3/29/2004 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Bumpin da bumpin.

-LS
Link Posted: 3/29/2004 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone with ideas on how to string up the Tannerite targets?  I was thinking a few pieces of thin rebar pounded into the ground with string between them.  Tie the target on that and restring once exploded.

Anyone with rebar laying around they can bring to the shoot?

Link Posted: 3/29/2004 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Go to Lowes and get some Utility Fence posts.  Cheap at about 2 bucks each, just remember to bring a sledgehammer to pound them into the groud in case I forget mine.

www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=92063-80032-UPL04

Steve
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#45]
bmp...
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Not long now.  Hope it is a nice weekend.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I will likely be there later in the afternoon...around 3pm or 4pm...think anyone will still be there?

I'm bringing the girlfriend to see what the boys' toys look like in person.

Won't be bringing anything to shoot...just a recon trip.

Link Posted: 4/13/2004 1:35:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/13/2004 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Shivan, I think we started to clean up around 4 or 5 last year....I really can't remember.  Please feel free to come on out with your girlfriend, my wife will be more then willing to help her out with some range time on an M16 if you can get there earlier.

Steve
Link Posted: 4/13/2004 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Shivan, I think we started to clean up around 4 or 5 last year....I really can't remember.  Please feel free to come on out with your girlfriend, my wife will be more then willing to help her out with some range time on an M16 if you can get there earlier.

Steve

Steve:

The absolute earliest I will get there is 3pm.  I have an appointment from 11am-Noon.  It's just a hair under 3 hours to get there for me.

I'd love to let your wife show her the "right" side of an M16.

I have my first M16 coming in the next few months, but nobody will be able to pry it away from me when I get it.....

Thanks.

Ed
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top