Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 1:50:13 PM EDT
Thanks to everyone who made it up..Had a great time....

4Mat with his Rockriver/Model 1 sales AR15

ANGST with my 9mm AR

LongRifleTatical with my Rockriver AR

Me with ANGST's M1A,Yes it was cold!

METT-T with his AR(Didnt catch the make

Our improvised "reactionary" Target
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#1]
as requested

Sleepy creek shoot

He liked my funky AR-15

Sure I can as soon as my fingers thaw out! Darn cold today

My bench, notice the organization. At least a had a little coffee

Underdog with M14, did the man ever shoot well. Never have to have underdog put you in his sights.

The entire crew, rounds down range.

Everyone was an excellent shot and you can tell that they know their weapons.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn...I missed it. Maybe next time. Looks great up there! I like that steel popper! Looks like you'll need a .50 cal. to take that down.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah that Steel plate was 1" thick!...My 9mm didnt stand a chance...We had a couple .308's pass thru....4MAT got some Video of today and ill get him to edit and post them ASAP...Only bad thing about the day was that more brothers couldnt make it,.Oh and of course I NEED an M1A now,thanks alot ANGST.....UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Photos from shoots never fail to produce people not wearing eye protection.  

Nice looking range... if it only allowed certain items.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Photos from shoots never fail to produce people not wearing eye protection.  

Nice looking range... if it only allowed certain items.  

They do allow it, just have to let them know in advance.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#6]
7,I was wearing my eyes...looking to set up another around june-july 04, And ill talk to the rangers about the FA toys so get your 5320.20 ready....UNDERDOG
PS:Ive got the range Address if you need it for the transport form.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Oh and of course I NEED an M1A now,thanks alot ANGST.....UNDERDOG

At least the battle rifle you "need" is the M1A.  That's a rifle you can actually own one.  The FAL on the other hand, requires that you own at least 3 so consider yourself lucky.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a great time and thanks everybody for letting me shoot your rifles. Im working on the videos now, so I hope to have them up here in an hour or so.

4mat,
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Fired a buddy's DSA STG58....Very nice as well but IMHO nothing says "battlerifle" like Walnut and steel,Er well ok maybe Camo'd Fiberglass and steel
Besides trust me if I had the money youd see me at your next FAL buildathon
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey, I've got my eyes on, clear wrap arounds, hard to see I think in these pics

Underdog ... see if you own an AR-15 you gotta get an M1A ... then an M1 Garand, then a 1903 , then a Krag .......
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
7,I was wearing my eyes...looking to set up another around june-july 04, And ill talk to the rangers about the FA toys so get your 5320.20 ready....UNDERDOG
PS:Ive got the range Address if you need it for the transport form.

IM the address to me or just post it here.  I have to do .20 paperwork for Bulletfest 04 so I can do this address too.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 2:04:00 AM EDT
[#13]
4mat, outstanding clips from the shoot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Looking at those Vids you can really hear that Steel plate....SLAP......SLAP......SLAP.....SLAP
LOL Sprawl Baby!
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep, you could hear the rounds slapping that 1/2 steel in the video.

Some members said that a 308 would not go thru body armor, I don't think they seen what we did to that steel plate. It was at least 1/2 inch thick and I think we penetrated it at least 5 times.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got some 3/8 that you couldn't touch.....50BMG ball stopped cold at 150yds...50API right through...

308, 7.62NATO, 5.56SS109, all stopped....

308AP barely went through it at 100yds.

25-06 100gr SUPER HOT handloads went right through........

I've got about 25 sheets of 12"x12" if anyone wants to procure one.....has two holes pre-drilled to be made for a hanging gong...

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've got some 3/8 that you couldn't touch.....

That's the stuff from the BRD, right?  The .25-06 was interesting.  Where did you shoot it with .50?  I remember you said you had trouble getting that stuff, I can't believe you have 25 sheets...
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've got some 3/8 that you couldn't touch.....

That's the stuff from the BRD, right?  The .25-06 was interesting.  Where did you shoot it with .50?  I remember you said you had trouble getting that stuff, I can't believe you have 25 sheets...

Yes, same stuff.  I had/have 32 sheets total from my original order.  Each order must be for 4'x8' minimum....1' squares......=32 pieces.

I have used three so far, maybe 4....

We shot it at the Subguns machine gun shoot in the late fall.  JasoninVA hit it with a M82A1 a few times with Talon Ball ammo, and a few spotter/tracer rounds, before his Barrett sheared the bolt handle.

Then 7 hit is a few times with an AR50 and LC military surplus ball, then he hit it with two API rounds....

The ball ammo made some pretty dents, but nothing to defeat the plate.  The API didn't even slow down.....as we thought.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't think this was any "special" steel...Just 1" thick mild steel probably,..But we had at least 4 or 5 pass thru's.........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Don't think this was any "special" steel...Just 1" thick mild steel probably,..But we had at least 4 or 5 pass thru's.........UNDERDOG

The stuff I have is "special".....500 Brinell hardness...similar to AR500 armor plate that would adorn a "VIP" limo or caravan vehicle.

My next test should include two 3/8" sheets bolted together....then three.....something will stop that API .50......
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you selling the stuff or giving it away?....Id like to make a target gong that's a little more "man portable" than the one in the pic............UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Ed, I'll buy one plate next time I see you.  I should have grabbed that one I blasted.  

I've loaded up some of my own AP rounds all ready for the next shoot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd be interested in taking one off your hands also, although "man-portable" is borderline.  Those things were heavy!  

I know, I could get two, tie 'em together, and wear it like a vest!  I'd be so tactical...
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Are you selling the stuff or giving it away?....Id like to make a target gong that's a little more "man portable" than the one in the pic............UNDERDOG

I would only be looking to recoup my cost from any of my VA brothers.  Now if anybody else wanted them it would be a whole 'nother story.  .

I think I paid $750 for the whole lot shipped to my work.  So each sheet is roughly ~$24...

They weigh about 15lbs each.  They are going to be a lot easier to move than that big 1" thick monstrosity, but still a little awkward.  Though they will last far longer, assuming you don't hammer it with AP or 25-06 HOT LOADS ......

I'll be sure to bring some extra sheets to the shoot at Hite Hollow in the spring, or maybe some to each shoot I attend.

7--I can give you that sheet you punched if you want it.  It's a little rusty now as it has been outside since the shoot, but a little shot of aerosol gun oil should straighten it up.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:03:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'd be interested in taking one off your hands also, although "man-portable" is borderline.  Those things were heavy!  

I know, I could get two, tie 'em together, and wear it like a vest!  I'd be so tactical...

Sounds like the first Samurai armor.....  So long as they hit the plates you'd be fine....though an extra 30lbs on your frame may double your overall weight.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Sounds like the first Samurai armor.....  So long as they hit the plates you'd be fine....though an extra 30lbs on your frame may double your overall weight.

Actually I was thinking Mall Ninja.  Does this stuff stop .338 Lapua?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I don't know if that would be enough,..I read in the latest "Mall ninja Monthly" that the Mall ninja parking lot patrol teams are equipped with .338 Laupa mags now....
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also if you tack welded a j hanger, you could add accesories like a Kabuto Sword for your backup weapon
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:39:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Does this stuff stop .338 Lapua?

Probably.  The MV is not that much greater than the 50BMG.

Mall Ninjas and .338 LAPUA...........

They need .408 CheyTacs.............
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:53:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Oh well BTT,..Shipping on a 20 pound steel plate is prob Crazy $$$$ so if I catch up with you at one of the Shoot ill pick one up.....UNDERDOG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top