Posted: 11/3/2003 2:19:55 PM EDT
When do the seasons start and end?

Anybody have the dates for Virginia?

Rifle especially.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Muzzle loader is in now.  Rifle starts November 15.  At least in most Counties East of the Blue Ridge

Already have one in the freezer.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey!  When did we get an Elk season?  Also, I notice we have a few days of muzzle loading for bear.  I think that's new.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey!  When did we get an Elk season?  Also, I notice we have a few days of muzzle loading for bear.  I think that's new.

My understanding is that you can use a deer tag to take the Elk. The Elk are part of a replenishment program that KY and/or WV undertook - either way it was not VA. So, say thank you to our neighbors for the season. Realistically there are only about 3-4 counties that will have the Elk present. If you can get the game guide put out by VA it indicates all the regs. and places most likely to contain Elk. They still have to be check at a game station as well.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My understanding is that you can use a deer tag to take the Elk. The Elk are part of a replenishment program that KY and/or WV undertook - either way it was not VA. So, say thank you to our neighbors for the season. Realistically there are only about 3-4 counties that will have the Elk present. If you can get the game guide put out by VA it indicates all the regs. and places most likely to contain Elk. They still have to be check at a game station as well.

Actually Virginia tried to reintroduce elk years ago in areas of the National Forests along the Blue Ridge Parkway. But poachers were killing them off as fast as they could be stocked so the Game Commission basically said to hell with it and gave up on the program.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Muzzle loader is in now.  Rifle starts November 15.  At least in most Counties East of the Blue Ridge

Already have one in the freezer.

You lucky son of a .........

I was out at the Phelps WMA on Saterday.  I only saw three does and a fox.  You can't shoot does on state land until the 8th.  I will be out there again on that day.  If it's brown, it's going down.

Good luck to all out there in the woods and be safe.

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey guys...Do me a favor and DON'T make me check a 60 lb deer!! We have checked deer this year as little as 45lbs!!
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey guys...Do me a favor and DON'T make me check a 60 lb deer!! We have checked deer this year as little as 45lbs!!
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]
My dog's shits are bigger than that.  Did they at least tie some sticks to it's head to make a nice rack?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Cliffy,
Way to go.  I got one on Monday night.  Cut it up and put it in the freezer Tuesday evening.  It was hot as hell out there, couldn't believe the deer were moving at all.
Can't wait for the cold front.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Went out again yesterday.  I counted 14 does.  Not a single friggin' buck in the batch.  I let them all pass for now.  I think I probably need to start culling some of these does on the property.

Man it was miserable yesterday.

Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:38:19 AM EDT
[#12]
With the weather change, maybe it'll finally get em up and going.  

I'm taking the 9 year old for his first hunting trip Saturday morning, so here's hoping we bag one.  If not, well, it was a fun trip in the woods and a good introduction for him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top