Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2003 4:33:36 PM EDT
A quick question im going to hunt deer with my ar 223 with a 5 shot magazine in W VA is this legal ?
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If WVA is the same as VA then you won't be able to hunt deer with your AR if chambered in .223/5.56. In VA the bullet must be larger then .22 caliber to hunt deer with.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope this doesn't turn into a "you shouldn't hunt deer with an AR/.223" thread.  The man asked a legitimate question, so how about we not turn it into one.

And VA, this wasn't aimed (no pun inteded) at you, but this site tends to go that way at times.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I *BELIEVE* that it is legal in West Virginia to hunt deer with a .223 Rem, but I am NOT 100% sure on that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, in WVA, you can use a .223 to hunt deer.
As far as magazine capacity, you should be just fine with a 5 round mag.
You cannot use a .223 to hunt big game in VA.

Thems the facts! Straight and simple.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I personally wouldn't just because the AR would look kinda goofy with just a 5 round mag.  As well all know, hunting is as much about the look and the accessories as much as anything else.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info i know the ar would look goofy but hey it will be my first deer and i want it to be somthing  special with my ar-15 thanks again,,,,JOE
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Make that shot count then, and have fun out in the woods.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay I'm not going to start the "you shouldn't hunt deer with a .223" line, but here's a little bit of unrequested advice. 1. be aware that deflection will be more pronounced with the light fast bullet than say a 150grn .308, aim just behind the shoulder as close to broadside as you can get and you should have venison on the ground!

Personal thing here...some like to take headshots with 223/22-250's and whatnot. If you have the skill I guess it's cool, but walking around through the woods and finding a deer that's starved to death from having its jaw shot off is a pretty shitty feeling. JMHO YMMV

P.S. If you shoot a deer wait a few minutes before you go running after it. When I was 14 I didn't listen to that bit of advice and ended up walking a mile or two in a nearly frozen swamp. Twasn't fun at all! LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top