Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2003 12:22:36 PM EDT
THis may already be widely known, but below is a letter that I received from Senator George Allen(R) after I e-mailed him regarding the assault weapons ban.

Thank you for contacting me regarding the renewal of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.  I appreciate your concerns and value the opportunity to respond.

I have a long record of standing up for the Second Amendment rights of Virginians and Americans, and have worked to preserve those rights for law-abiding citizens.

When I campaigned for the United States Senate, I made a commitment to the people of Virginia that I would support reauthorization of the Assault Weapons Ban in its current form.  However, I want to emphasize that I do not support any additions to the existing law, such as adding more guns and ammunition to the list.

The focus of our attention in fighting crime should be to ensure full enforcement of existing laws.  This would do more to keep illegal guns out of the hands of criminals than passing new and additional requirements on the sale of firearms to law-abiding citizens.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.  If you would like to receive an e-mail newsletter about my initiatives to improve America, please sign up on my website (http://allen.senate.gov>).  It is an honor to serve you in the United States Senate, and I look forward to working with you to make Virginia and America a better place to live, learn, work and raise a family.

With warm regards, I remain

Sincerely,
  George Allen

In the past when I have e-mailed or written John Warner, he has had a similar position.  Although Warner does more at dancing around the subject than Allen did.  Pretty disappointing!

Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the same form letter I got.
Let's see what happens in September.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
And part of the existing law is to let the mother fucker sunset! GOD DAMNIT I hate this shit.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, verbatim on the one I received as well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:01:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm 99% that that is the same one I recieved via e-mail and via hardcopy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, this is the same response that I received.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#6]
this is the exact letter i got and i responded by saying i was sorry to say that if he did not change his postion on this i would not vote for him again.  

still waiting for another response...
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#7]
there is a chance some english intern wrote that.  it is also a big chance of everyone sending him pro-gun related emails got the same letter.  i doubt allen got the time to sit down and write respond letters to everyone.  those folks tend to do their job the relax way when it is not election time.  george allen does seem like a straight shooter.  i don't like mark warner.  that asshole said he won't raise taxes when he was running for governor.  he has been raising tax and working to raise more taxes ever since he took office.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:46:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Allen is like all the other politicians out there, he will say whatever he thinks will get him votes.  It seems clear that he has come to the conclusion that soccer moms got him elected versus us gun owners.  As soon as he figures out that we matter, he will attempt to curry favor with us again.  I don't trust him or any of the other politicians.  THey'll all sell us down the river if they think it will keep them in office.

As far as an intern writing the letter, I am sure they did, but I am also sure that Allen is well aware of what the letter says.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#9]
i agree with you totally dude.  i wonder if allen is smart enough to know that gun owners share information too.  some people would send out same gravy-topping letters to people instead of making a few changes.  i do give credit to the intern for his excellence lie in the letter.  his political career will be very bright.  however, neither he or allen will get my vote.

it seem like most politician will vote against gun.  i wonder if we can get some kind of boycott going on.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#10]
HERE'S A COPY OF THE LETTER I SENT HIM IN RESPONSE TO HIS REPLY:

Senator Allen,

I am writing you in response to your reply regarding the renewal of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.  I am VERY disappointed to hear that you have decided to take an anti-freedom stance and support the renewal of the ban.  Whether or not you support the addition of more weapons or modification to the ban is irrelevant.  The ban was a useless piece of legislation in the first place and should be allowed to sunset.   Changing the cosmetic appearance of a firearm does not affect its lethality.   More importantly criminals do not care about a ban on the type of gun they use in a crime.  This ban only serves to strip law-abiding citizens of their constitutional rights.
Rest assured senator, that I will not support your office any further and I will actively encourage my friends and family to do the same.

Sincerely,
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep, that should take care of it.  It's a wrap, folks.

All joking aside, the sad part is unless this kind of thing actually does pose a threat to his seat, nothing will change.

Revolution, aisle 3, Revolution, aisle 3.

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#12]
i didnt say i solved the problem...
what i do wnat to say is we ALL need to let these peolpe know that we are watching and we dont vote anti-gun!
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#13]
My point wasn't that I don't agree with you, because I do.  My point was that until we are an actual threat to him (and others) it's not going to be a big concern is not going to get the attention we feel it should.

If everyone who thought this way would actually write, and keep writing, then it may get more attention from those on the hill.  Unfortunately, most won't.  Why?  Beats the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#14]
let's not vote for anyone with the anti-gun agenda.

they passed the ban on ccw in bar today.  i heard louder screams from the anti folks than from the pro folks.  for some reason, the press loves the anti people more than us.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Same type of letter I got months ago.

A form letter, change the name and send.

I know this guy too, I'm disappointed as well.

He talked a good line until he got up into power. My father and I used to set up the voting machines in our area and were able to meet and talk to the guys on election day.

Times have changed.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Sad, isn't it.  Politics have (been) become just another big business and have gotten away from the real reasons the gov was set up the way it was.  I can't wait till my secret hollowed volcano lair is done.  Damn unions taking too long.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#17]
if they didn't kill jimmy hoffa, the project is done by now.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#18]
This is why it is good to make small donations to local, state and federal office holders. I received this note from Senator Allen this morning.

Dear Supporter,
Bob Graham's surprise announcement yesterday to not run for reelection creates a real opportunity.

Because Florida is a battleground state for the Presidential election and a coveted Senate seat, it makes winning this race a top priority for the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC).

Added to a list of open Senate seats in Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina, it gives Republicans a unique chance to retain and expand our Majority in the United States Senate.

This is vitally important because the Democrats have moved further to the left and embraced the most radical elements of their Party. That Howard Dean is the apparent frontrunner for their Party's nomination speaks volumes.

Their agenda of higher taxes and big government would stifle business and prevent job creation. They have filibustered judges who do not adhere to their narrow, liberal agenda and have politicized the war in Iraq for their own political benefit.

Desperate moves by a radical Party.

To give our candidates in Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia and elsewhere the resources they need to win will take the financial support of tens of thousands of individuals like you.

I urge you to make a contribution in support of our candidates and the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

Please click here to donate.

The Republican Party has put progress ahead of politics. We are working with the President to create jobs, grow the economy, make our homeland safer and fill our judicial vacancies.

Help us strengthen our Majority and get things done. Support our cause.

Gratefully yours,

Senator George Allen
Chairman, NRSC

Anyone care to help me write my response letter? Note, this will be going directly to the fund raising e-mail.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, here it is:

Honorable Senator Allen,

As a Virginia voter and financial supporter of local, state and federal republicans, I am dismayed at your current stance on the renewal of the "Assault Weapons Ban". This law does not embody the Jeffersonian principals you have spoken of so often as Virginia Governor and now as my Senator. The current federal "Assault Weapons Ban" does not reduce crime in any way. This ban only serves to reduce the freedom of law-abiding citizens.

I will be withholding financial support from all republican candidates until September 15th 2004. I have also allowed my membership in the Virginia Republican Party lapse, and I will not renew until I am sure that this terrible law is allowed to sunset. Know that my current and future support of republicans hinges on this law going the way of the dinosaurs. If the Republican majority in the US House of Repetitive, US Senate and my Republican President renew the AWB, I will make no donations to and will not vote for any Republican in the 2004 election.

Thomas Jefferson is credited with the following quote: "In matters of style, swim with the current; In matters of principal, stand like a rock". I ask you to reexamine your "Jeffersonian Principals" and how you can support the extension of such anti-freedom law.

Sincerely,
Q3131A

I haven't sent it yet. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#20]
After reading my fellow Virginians plight with Senator Allen’s reply to your letters, I have taken the authority to send communications myself. My inquiry is totally neutral and without warning to his office of my convictions on this issue, so fellow patriots let us see how far the nut shall fall from the tree of liberty.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ok, here it is:

Honorable Senator Allen,

As a Virginia voter and financial supporter of local, state and federal republicans, I am dismayed at your current stance on the renewal of the "Assault Weapons Ban". This law does not embody the Jeffersonian principals you have spoken of so often as Virginia Governor and now as my Senator. The current federal "Assault Weapons Ban" does not reduce crime in any way. This ban only serves to reduce the freedom of law-abiding citizens.

I will be withholding financial support from all republican candidates until September 15th 2004. I have also allowed my membership in the Virginia Republican Party lapse, and I will not renew until I am sure that this terrible law is allowed to sunset. Know that my current and future support of republicans hinges on this law going the way of the dinosaurs. If the Republican majority in the US House of Repetitive, US Senate and my Republican President renew the AWB, I will make no donations to and will not vote for any Republican in the 2004 election.

Thomas Jefferson is credited with the following quote: "In matters of style, swim with the current; In matters of principal, stand like a rock". I ask you to reexamine your "Jeffersonian Principals" and how you can support the extension of such anti-freedom law.

Sincerely,
Q3131A

I haven't sent it yet. Any suggestions?

Click "send".  Better yet, write this down so you can put your signature on it.  I'll pay for your stamp.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Well spoken.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#23]
any of you guys recieved a response yet?  i havent.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
any of you guys recieved a response yet?  i havent.

Nada. But I have gotten two more fund raising letters.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
After reading my fellow Virginians plight with Senator Allen’s reply to your letters, I have taken the authority to send communications myself. My inquiry is totally neutral and without warning to his office of my convictions on this issue, so fellow patriots let us see how far the nut shall fall from the tree of liberty.

At last a email response from Senator Allen as follows:Dear Mark:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the renewal of the 1994 Assault
Weapons Ban.  I appreciate your concerns and value the opportunity to
respond.

I have a long record of standing up for the Second Amendment rights of
Virginians and Americans, and have worked to preserve those rights for
law-abiding citizens.

When I campaigned for the United States Senate, I made a commitment to the
people of Virginia that I would support reauthorization of the Assault
Weapons Ban in its current form.  However, I want to emphasize that I do
not support any additions to the existing law, such as adding more guns
and ammunition to the list.

The focus of our attention in fighting crime should be to ensure full
enforcement of existing laws.  This would do more to keep illegal guns out
of the hands of criminals than passing new and additional requirements on
the sale of firearms to law-abiding citizens.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.  If you would like to
receive an e-mail newsletter about my initiatives to improve America,
please sign up on my website (<http://allen.senate.gov>).  It is an honor
to serve you in the United States Senate, and I look forward to working
with you to make Virginia and America a better place to live, learn, work
and raise a family.

Sincerely,
 A George Allen

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#26]
My reply to any campaign fund raising scheme would be kinda like this "I will contribute to your re-election IF and ONLY IF you take a stand against the reauthorization of the 1994 AWB, until then I will be supporting grass roots efforts to elect someone who will fully defend my rights.

Wiht warmest regards, I remain

Mr. PONY_DRIVER"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top