Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2003 7:15:47 PM EDT
I want to start by thanking everyone who came out today. I also want to thank everyone who helped out through todays events.

A large group met up for breakfast at the local motel and then headed for the range. We lucked out and had nice weather today. The rain stayed away and the sun popped out a little. There was about 40 people or so that showed up. I do want to say that it was great getting to meet everyone, and see some of the old faces at the same time.

The 3-gun match went off without any problems and everyone seemed to enjoy it. I will post the results tomorrow when I am not so tired. I didn't get to spend to much time at the rifle range, but I hear things went well up there. I huge thanks goes out to woodrow1976 for helping RSO the 3-gun match with me. I also want to thank everyone who helped set-up and paste the targets.

There were a few lucky people that walked away with some nice raffle prizes. I want to give an extra thanks to C4iGrant, FMJunkie, and SHIVAN for donating prizes to the raffle. Mudzilla and his father each walked away winning a prize. Aren't you glad you made it out Mudzilla?

Thanks to all those who stayed for the dinner, and I hope that you all got enough to eat. Following dinner we split into two groups; one group went and did a little night fire practice and the other group shot skeet under the lights. We even managed to get a couple of lowers built before we headed out.

Again, let me say thank you to everyone for coming and making the day so great.

For all the others who decided not come, tough luck for you.

Edited because I was tired last night when I first posted.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, I wanted to be there. Family matters kept me away. Father, wife and daughter playing softball in Petersburg this weekend. Mom is disabled and I have to be near for her.

I'm off the guilt trip now. Hope you all have a super fun time. Pics would be nice.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks go out to VA-Gunnut and woodrow1976 for working with the 3 gun match.

I had a great time and got to meet a lot of good people. Arrowhead is a first class range. Thanks go out to the club members as well.

Lots of high $peed gear out today.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#3]
First off I want to say again a BIG thank you to Va-gunnut for putting this whole show on. I know what kind of time and effort goes into setting up everything that goes into putting on a first class show like this.

Thank you Anthony!

Arrowhead Range is THE shiznit! That is by far the best range I've ever been to. Like 8 skeet ranges a few trap ranges, 3-D archery range, several pistol ranges, several rifle ranges (200 yds max), nice clubhouse where I would estimate you could seat 200 people comfortably for lunch and or dinner. Night time shooting!

The club members I met were all very helpful and friendly. They accepted the black rifle crowd with exceptional southern hospitality. I really felt welcome.

Lunch (burger, fries and drink), dinner (steak baked potato salad dessert drink) admission into the 3 gun match and admission to the entire range was included in the $40 price tag. Good food!

This was my first time ever competing in a 3 gun match, or for that matter at any level of shooting competition. I had the jitters, but quickly settled down once I started shooting. I'm rather proud to say that I placed 4th overall in my first ever 3 gun match.

It was great to see some people I've seen before at the Richmond fun show, and meet all the new people. Nice to put the faces with the names!

Thanks to Shivan for letting me shoot his AR-10 and his .458 SOCOM! that was a treat!

Thanks to C4iGrant for bringing all the cool gear for us gear queer's!

I have to say that if you missed BRD today, you missed a blast of a shoot. Good weather. Great range facility! It was a bit nippy when we pulled up but as the day wore on it got warmer and warmer. The sun even peeked out for about an hour during the 3 gun match. I was actually hot for a while. I did not feel one single drop of rain.

There was some talk during dinner to make this a semi annual event. I'm all for doing it monthly as it turned out to be only about a 3 hour drive from Tidewater Virginia.

Make plans now, you don't want to miss this one again.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
No

Lots of , some after dark,

All in all:  
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No

No bouncing round green guy's????

I don't get it.

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:06:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry I missed it. I worked until 17:00, but I was there in spirit.

BVM, you would have come in 5th had I attended.

Hope to see the VA crew at the next one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:15:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There was some talk during dinner to make this a semi annual event. I'm all for doing it monthly as it turned out to be only about a 3 hour drive from Tidewater Virginia.

Make plans now, you don't want to miss this one again.

Every month! Are you trying to work me to death or something? We will be doing this kind of event in the future, probably in the spring and then the fall. We may be able to arrange a smaller gathering for those who want to come for it.

I do want to say that I spoke with a lot of the club board members after dinner, and they said that we could do this anytime we wanted. They complemented everyone on there safe gun handling during the day. One even told me that this was probably one of the safest run events they had hosted at the club. The club also wanted me to pass along a big thank you to everyone for coming out. With the days events and the dinner we managed to raise $925 for the club's pistol range.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:48:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Very sorry to have missed this event.  Ended up going to Knob Creek and to be honest I think I choose the wrong event.  I ended up leaving early last night, just wasn't the event it was in the past.

Oh, well....live and learn.  

Glad to hear you pulled off such a great event, good job Anthony.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:48:06 AM EDT
[#9]

There were a few lucky people that walked away with some nice raffle prizes. I want to give an extra thanks to C4iGrant, FMJunkie, and SHIVAN for donating prizes to the raffle. Mudzilla and his father each walked away winning a prize. Aren't you glad you made it out Mudzilla?

lol yeah man.thanks to all who donated the prizes.thanks gunnut for making the shoot happen. we will be coming to the next one too!

most fun i had shooting my gun in a long time

i wish we could of stayed for the night shooting and the rifle building. hopefully next time we will.

man my shoulder is sore

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a good time, and have some burst capillaries on my shoulder.  But then again, 6 hours at the 200 yard range tends to do that.  

Whoever(SHIVAN?) took a photo of me and my Galil build, if it comes out, I'd love to have a copy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No bouncing round green guy's????

I don't get it.

Weather was great, and no one got their truck stuck in the mud.  

Seriously though, I had a great time.  The night shoot alone was worth the drive.  VA-gunnut designed a great 3-gun COF.  

Next time I need to pre-load more mags, more time shooting.  Seeing everyone's AR goodies was interesting, too, some nice setups out there.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Just wanted to say it was good to meet ya'll. SlimHazy, sorry about the wife dropping brass down your neck. BVM, thanks for making me shoot something before I left (wife too). Next time I hope to stay and shoot!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I am really sorry I missed this event; I was looking forward to it.  Unfortunately I had to make an emergency trip to the doctor yesterday morning - kidney stone.  But after getting 2 shots, I was knocked out for the day.  I hope I can make the next one - sounds like you guys had a blast.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Kudos to VA-gunnut for hosting a great day of shooting.We have a excellent group of shooters and members and nice to meet up with some of you.Special thanks to FMJunkie for the use of his model 870 for the 3 gun course and Tony(the one with the SNIPER SCHOOL t-shirt) for the use of the holster to get me thru the day.Even though I finished next to LAST, the 3 GUN SHOOT was a learning experience.See ya on the Board.BTH
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey guys for a bunch of yankee's (I'm from TX OK is a northern state to me).  You put on a great shoot.  In all seriousness it was a great shoot and I had a blast even though I spent most of the day RO'ing.  I wish I could have at least seen the rifle range but oh well.  Once again everyone that enjoyed the three-gun and wants to shoot again or anyone who just watched and now wants to try it come on out to www.range-1.com and give it a try.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got home and finished unloading the car.  I had a great time and will definitely be coming to the next one.  The 3-gun was my first competition experience and I'm hooked.  Thanks to VA-gunnut for organizing this, thanks to the Arrowhead gun club for letting us use their excellent facility and thanks to everybody who helped out with ROing, putting together the target stands, and everything else that made this a great event.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, it was a blast!  Had a great time...  I hope everyone didn't mind a few Yankees invading the place!

I think this pic sums it all up:

Many more photos here:

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/ThumbnailView.asp?DOMAIN_Link=&iGalleryUnq=1097&iCategoryUnq=1
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Awesome, yep that's says it all!!

Made a lot of new friends and talk to some old ones. Anthony thanks man you did good! Our kids seemed to hit it off too.(Bonus)

Hope to see you all at the next one.

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Here are the results of the 3-gun match:

Anthony F.   107.27
Andy A.      127.32
William B.   144.34
Scott        146.75
Mike A.      150.20
Rob D.       150.31 (2nd run/ with AR10)
Ed. A        152.64
Tyler A.     132.78
Chris F.     157.33
Rob D.       160.14 (1st run/ with AR15)
Kevin        169.38
Ken B.       169.94
Matthew B.   180.97
Nathanial W. 182.26
Andrew C.    190.41
Bobby        193.96
Willard A.   213.46
Brian V.     224.91
Al G.        249.79

I am going to have to think up a harder one for next time.

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#21]
We had a great time.  I started slowing down due to aggravating my 4-day old incision, but had a ball watching Jess burn up .22 ammo.  Wish I could have stayed later, but...

Thanks to all who organized this event.  I enjoyed meeting you guys in person.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Anthony thanks man you did good! Our kids seemed to hit it off too.(Bonus)

My kids told me that they had fun hanging out with your kids.

I also owe a big thanks to Robert for making the nametags that everyone got to wear, and for running the kids shoot in the afternoon.

THANKS!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
We had a great time.  I started slowing down due to aggravating my 4-day old incision, but had a ball watching Jess burn up .22 ammo.  Wish I could have stayed later, but...

Thanks to all who organized this event.  I enjoyed meeting you guys in person.

Thanks for coming all the way up for this, especially given you just had surgery. I like to see dedicated people like you. I hope to see you guys at the next one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I also had a very fun time.  No accidents and friendly people as well.  I can't wait until next time.  I got to shoot some cool guns, and made the handguards on my SKS smoke.  I'm almost out of ammo for both rifles of mine.  I won a multi-tool in the raffle contest.  I think that's all for now.

Junior_Gunnut
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Anthony, you might want to recheck this score:
Nathanial W. 1682.26
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Between the pics on the photo server and what my wife took with my digital I was able to put together a photo sequence and description of the 3-gun match.  This match was a hell of a lot of fun.  

mywebpages.comcast.net/Hoplophile/VBRD.htm
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Wish I had been able to go...

It sucks working weekends, but the money is better on weekends..

And I need that extra money....
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Man, looks like you guys had a blast!!!

I'm really glad everything went so well.

Sigh.......I'll make it next year for sure!
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:57:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for putting all the pictures of the 3-gun match together Hoplophile. I am glad you and all the others enjoyed the match. Hopefully this will encourage more people into trying these kinds of competitions out more often.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#30]
After a brief conversation with BVMJethead about the 3-gun I realized I really do need that Mossberg 590 I've been looking at!
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
After a brief conversation with BVMJethead about the 3-gun I realized I really do need that Mossberg 590 I've been looking at!

My 590 has been sitting untouched in the safe for several years, and I've only shot it a couple times since I bought it back in the mid 90s, but it'll be getting more use now.  In fact, I think that set of ghost ring sights I've been eyeing in the Brownells catalog are going to get ordered today.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I just got back from my excursion from Keysville to Roanoke.

Good news is I bought the truck......will try to  get the few pics I took posted tomorrow.

Thanks Anthony for a good time......

Here is the pic of me using cover which you docked points from me on; those procedurals sound like bunk.

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I had to attend an all day class but it sounds like I missed a good event.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Good news is I bought the truck

What did you get?
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:54:07 AM EDT
[#35]
I know there were a few digital cameras around during the 3 gun.......any more pics?

I am sizing and uploading my few from the breakfast and rally point, and some from the rifle range.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I just got back from my excursion from Keysville to Roanoke.

Good news is I bought the truck......will try to  get the few pics I took posted tomorrow.

Thanks Anthony for a good time......

Here is the pic of me using cover which you docked points from me on; those procedurals sound like bunk.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=18619

Thanks for coming down Ed, and I am glad you enjoyed yourself, and that the rest of your trip went well too.

Since you were nice enough to post your picture. It shows you leading your way around the barricade with your muzzle. Actually it looks like you have your left hand up against the barricade. If someone had been directly on the other side they could of snatched your rifle. If we can get a group of people together for a blackwater carbine class, maybe you will have to come along.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
If someone had been directly on the other side they could of snatched your rifle.

OK, next time I will put about 20 rounds in the barricade to "clear" the area of potential gun snatchers........
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Shivan,
I'm gonna go with VA-gunnut on this one.  From that Pic it looks like the only part of you body concealed from the targets is your right foot.  When I am SO'ing I base cover on the following factors.
1) Did the shooter start all the way behind cover?
2) From that position did the shooter lean his body out while leaving his feet planted in the same place and engage targets as he saw them (in this case left to right)?
3) Is more than 50% of the shooters upper body and 0% of his lower body exposed to any unengaged targets?

It's kind of hard to tell from this pic and not knowing what targets have and have not been engaged but it looks like a good cover call to me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Alright you bastards.....next time I am putting 20 rounds in the barricade, and then lighting and deploying an M80 firecracker to simulate a grenade.

Upon which point I will clear the phase.....

I'm a newbie to 3-gun....what do you expect?

Truth be told, you should re-shoulder the weapon to the left in that scenario to properly utilize "cover".  Anybody who didn't, exposed more than they should have....
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the photo...
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Truth be told, you should re-shoulder the weapon to the left in that scenario to properly utilize "cover".  Anybody who didn't, exposed more than they should have....

NO!  You're probably too close to cover if you have to switch shoulders.  You could've been as much as 10 feet behind where you are standing and still gotten the same advantage from the cover/concealment.  Pieing the corner at a distance also means each step to either side is a smaller angle, so you control how much of your body is exposed, and when.  In a hallway or vehicle, there won't be as much room, but use whatever distance you've got to the fullest extent.  

Don't crowd your cover!  
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Alright you bastards.....next time I am putting 20 rounds in the barricade, and then lighting and deploying an M80 firecracker to simulate a grenade.

Upon which point I will clear the phase.....

I'm a newbie to 3-gun....what do you expect?

Your right, I'm picking on you a little.

Actually I wanted this contest to cater to people who were new to this kind of thing. These kinds of events are a great way for everyone to learn better shooting skills in the end. The biggest reason I made the booth was for people to see what it was like shooting a rifle within an enclosed space. Poor BVMjethead found out what shooting a rifle inside without proper hearing protection can do to your focus.

I have already ben planning the next competition, wait until you see that one.

Edited to add: If you can find some flashbangs for the next competition, you can then rush the room after deploying them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Great pics ....What the heck is wrong with FM's Eyes
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO!  You're probably too close to cover if you have to switch shoulders.  You could've been as much as 10 feet behind where you are standing and still gotten the same advantage from the cover/concealment.  Pieing the corner at a distance also means each step to either side is a smaller angle, so you control how much of your body is exposed, and when.  In a hallway or vehicle, there won't be as much room, but use whatever distance you've got to the fullest extent.  

Don't crowd your cover!  

I hear you, and understand, but....

If you were to re-shoulder and do as you say you will limit the exposure even more.  Right?  There is a specific chapter dedicated to using cover in the "Ultimate Sniper".  It shows shooting around a left hand corner and a right hand corner....the shoulder is changed.

Dynamic shooting is probably different and I will learn, but from my perspective I had neutralized the threat and exposed more of myself around the corner...

I will stick by being a newbie....

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Just so you guys know, I'm more upset that my shotgun didn't group like I thought it would.  I am so used to having the proper choke for every scenario that that just cooked my goose.

The other thing that pissed me off was that fact that I KNEW I missed the third pistol target, because I saw the trees move high behind the target, but knew I couldn't put two more on target.

Are real matches limited in round count like that, where if you miss you can't neutralize?  Or do you suffer the time penalty vs. the -5 per missed shot?

Knowing I missed it irked me......
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#47]

That's the back of my big head!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Are real matches limited in round count like that, where if you miss you can't neutralize?  Or do you suffer the time penalty vs. the -5 per missed shot?

Knowing I missed it irked me......

It depends on the the event you are shooting in. This kind of scoring system is called a Limited Vickers Count. If this count system is used in IDPA; the rules state that for every extra round fired you would suffer a 3 second penalty, and would also have your highest score on that target deducted for each extra shot made on that target.

The main reason I made half the pistol stage limited and the second half unlimited was to make it easier for people who don't own but two mags for their pistol. Plus it also requires the shooter to focus more on getting good hits on the target.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:35:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Shivan,
Come on down to Range 1 for one of our matches.  If you shoot any limited vickers at all it will be less than 10% of the match.  Plus most shotgun targets will be steel so there either up or down no wondering.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Sounds like I missed a great day.  I shot an IPSC match in Fredericksburg (not very well either).  Next time there is talk of an event like this I will clear my calender for it.  Sorry I missed it.
Scott
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top