Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2003 2:27:18 PM EDT
Just bought a new CVA Hunterbolt .50 cal today.  Galyan's had the package on sale for $200.  Came with the rifle, scope, and case.
It was supposedly factory bore sighted but when I looked through the scope the cross hairs were severly canted.  Got that straightened out and now need to sight in.
Any load recommendations from the muzzleloaders?  I still have to go and get some components and accesories before I go shoot.  I should have them in two weeks.
I am looking for a place near Fairfax to go sight it in before season.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah wear muffs and plugs !!! It realy kills your head shooting blackpowder a bunch of times in a row.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
About the only place to sight in is Clark Brothers.  Don't buy your bullets and powder at Galyans because you can't shoot them there.  Fortunately, Clark Bros has a good selection.  I like the new Power belt bullets with 2 pelets.  Get the 295 grain ones.  I don't like light bullets for muzzle loaders.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard that about Clark Bros.  You have to buy their ammo and targets?   I'll just have to take a drive out there after work one day.  
How long is there range 100 yrd?  Do they have 50  yrd targets for the initial sighting in?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#4]
as far as loads go, I've had a ton of success with my Knight's shooting a 260 grain hollow point with 3 pyrodex pellets...I used to use only 2 pellets, but when I upgraded rifles, I added more power...I killed 3 deer during blackpowder season last year.  The furthest was about a 140 yards and it dropped dead where it stood.

Nstg8r
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:34:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks All,

Guess it will be just like loading for my .308, many different bullet and powder combinations.  Just find one that shoots the best.

Wish me luck and good luck hunting this year.
Joe
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:35:39 AM EDT
[#6]
If you can get the stuff you need before this weekend, you could bring it down to the BRD. I am sure that there will plenty of people there familar with muzzle loading rifles.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:02:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you can get the stuff you need before this weekend, you could bring it down to the BRD. I am sure that there will plenty of people there familar with muzzle loading rifles.

I'd love to but already have plans for this weekend.  I may take it to the Hite Hollow shoot, if I can wait that long to shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Finally shot the muzzy today.  I took the 45 min drive down to Clark Bros.  I will say they are a bit high on their ammo prices but I guess that is the price for free range time.  

Anyway, I was using 100 gr. of Triple seven with 295 gr power belts.  After several adjustments, I got oit zeroed.  The best group I got was just over an inch at 50 yards.  the average group size was 2 inches.  Next year I will attempt to find a better load bullet combination but, for now this should do the trick.

I tried two shots with 150 grains but they really spread and kicked like a mule.  Glad they were my last two shots.  

Overall I am very pleased with my low budget purchase until I can afford the Thompson Center Encore.

Thanks for all of the advice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top