Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2003 6:59:39 AM EDT
any of yall hunt with dogs? i do
cant wait till deer season! we ran our dogs and they where tearing those woods up!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#1]
No offense meant but I really don't get the whole deer hunting with dogs bit. I find it pretty asinine actually. In the areas I hunt it's really not necessary to run the deer out of swamps/thick cover.

A dog will run a deer to death..I've seen it happen. In addition to being plumb run out when a deer runs the adrenaline flows through their body's like crazy and makes the meat taste horrible IMHO. I prefer to eat an animal that was killed by a single shot and that was calm and relaxed right before buying the farm.

I've stalked deer before, but usually I'm a still hunter and pick my site's carefully. There's a difference between hunting and shooting, again MHO.

I can understand using dogs for rabbits, maybee squirrelm and the various birds, but not for deer. Where did hunting with dogs for deer start? Is it just tradition that keeps people doing it? Seriously I'm asking not flaming.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I hunt with just a few guys and 2 packs of dogs. Yeah Im ready for some cold morning drives.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No offense meant but I really don't get the whole deer hunting with dogs bit.

How else can you hunt on the side of the road?

I really got turned off from hunting because of the dog hunters in my area. They turn the dogs loose and sit in the truck or stand on the road and wait until the deer cross. What kind of hunting is that?

No Thanks, I'll pass.

Again no flame intended but that how I see 'em.

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#4]
well, i like hunting with dogs because you actually give the deer a chance. i cant tell you the number of deer i have missed. it gets your heart beating and blood flowing when you hear them dogs getting closer and closer. hearing that deer charging through the woods, throw the gun up...........and mis lol
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
We're not allowed to run deer with dogs here, but it has been my experience that including dogs in the hunt adds greatly to the experience.  
I enjoy hunting critters with hounds (mostly coons and wabbits) as well as uplandgame/waterfowl with retrievers.  I am beginning to train my Mom's blue-heeler to be a squirrel dog--that should be a blast.
There is just something primevally spine-tingling about a hound on a hot track!!
Oddly enough 99% of city-folks that move to the country tend to disagree, so hound hunting, I fear, will eventually be a relic of the past.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Different strokes for different folks.  I don't do it and I don't really understand why anybody would want to, but that's not my decision.  As long as it is done in a legal and ethical manner, I don't care what you do.  Just don't do it on my property.

It is a tradition in Central and Southern VA.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
PVFD,

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about!

I give the deer a chance by HUNTING them. I use my skill against their instincts.

When my mom first moved to central VA she was "introduced" to these "hunters" when she came around a bend in the road and some redneck was aiming a gun ACROSS the fucking road!

Where she is a bunch of fucknut bubba's load up into pickup trucks, crack some beers, turn dogs loose on OTHER PEOPLE'S PROPERTY, turn on the CB's and "hunt".

Now there are several things that are totaly wrong with this situation. 1. save the beer for AFTER the hunt. 2. Respect property rights. i.e. if you can't hunt someone's property don't let your fucking mutts run across it either. 3. shooting at a running deer is not sportsmanlike IMNSHFO. (Yes I'm pissed)

My mom has had numerous problems with these assholes, including tresspassing, dogs chasing livestock, etc. One select group of shitbags REPEATEDLY trespassed on her land AFTER she told them to "Stay the fuck off"! That's pretty easy to understand right? Is to me, but not to the country bumpkins. One old fucker even told her that she couldn't tell him not to hunt HER land! WTF is THAT?

Situations like that are why I equate hunting deer with dogs with a bunch of backwoods fuckin rednecks who better hope I don't see them on the wrong property next year.

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#8]
OK Pony_Driver, tell me how you really feel and don't hold anything back next time

Bow Hunting = Skill

Black Powder = Skill

Turkey Hunting = Skill (calling is an artform)

Hunting w/ Dogs = Skeet shooting for deer

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I hunt w/ dogs in Southern VA during general season.  I also hunt from treestands and stalk during bow and muzzleloading seasons.  Both have their upsides and downsides.  

I have shot many deer who had no idea I was in the tree or on the ground behind the tree.  I have also shot a good number of deer who were running in front of the dogs, sneeking out of the hunt after the dogs have passed, and I have just plain missed a good amount of deer who ran passed me so fast.

As far as which I like best, I'd have to say dog hunting.  Our dogs love running through the woods.  I love hearing them coming and then turning off, 'cuz the deer gave em the slip.  Your forget, the deer know the woods better than the dogs, and a mature buck will sometimes lay right in his bed, as the dogs run passed, then get up and slide out the back.  

To say that one way of hunting is more humane, more ethical, or more sportsmanlike, is just pure ignorance.  And to say that the deer taste different if they have been running, versus standing there taking a piss in a scrape, I must say that your cooking skills must be lacking.  I have shot old tough bucks, young does, and yes, I have shot a few button bucks.  No matter whether they have been running, walking, or standing still, they all still taste better than any cow I've ever had.

I am not trying to piss on one's version of how they hunt, or to play down how your mom may have been dealt with by some bums on the side of the road. But likewise, you shouldn't talk down to those of us who choose to have a fair chase hunt with hounds.  

We are not all country bumpkins or dirty rednecks (although, my neck is often red, I keep it clean).  I am a white collar worker who enjoys cold December mornings, hearing the dogs coming from over the hill.  And to see a mature buck running a full tilt, about 75 yards in front of the dogs across a field, well, that is a sight I hope I get to see every year.  And if God allows me to get a shot at that deer and harvest him, then my day and season has been made.

Nstg8r

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#10]
My culinary skills certainly aren't lacking so I know it's not that. WRT my mom the post above was 5 separate instances from different people, so it's not just a select group of knuckledraggers. Although it seems that I can shoot only bucks I have eaten doe, button buck etc. Yes venison does taste better than beef, but the adrenaline can ruin meat. I once saw two dogs run a der to death in the field..no bullet wounds what so ever. Since it was November anyhow we butchered it and the damn thing smelled like cat piss! Completely soaked with sweat and was rock hard (every muscle) when it keeled over. IT tasted like shit and even the dogs looked at us funny when we fed it to them. Just my experience. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I knew this topic was going to stir up shit.

I personally don't hunt with dogs, but have met plenty that do. I know some who are decent fellows and are quite safe while hunting. I have also met many more who drive around with their 1/5 of liquor and call that hunting. The second ones are the bozo's I stay away from, mainly because of safety reasons. There are always going to be good and bad people in everything, so I just keep an open mind.

I do have one story that still pisses me off to this day. One opening morning I set up on a hill overlooking a cow pasture in a bottom. Just as the light was starting to come out, a pack of hunting dogs came running out into the bottom tracking a scent. They circled around a large trash pile for about 1/2 hour. I gave up and left at that point, because I knew I wasn't going to see any deer coming across the field anytime soon. If I hadn't known the owner of the worthless fucking dogs, I probably would of shot the dogs instead. 9 years later and it still pisses me off. I think I need help.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#12]
i wasnt going to flame you pony but your just asking for it

i dont know how you can just stereotype hunters that use dogs. i dont know what show you watched that brainwashed you, not all dog hunters are "rednecks" as you put it. we dont drink beer while hunting......i dont know wtf gave you that idea

3. shooting at a running deer is not sportsmanlike

lmao and shooting at him while he is perfectly still eating is?

the way you talk about "country folk" leades me to believe your a city boy and i can understand your ignorance

a bunch of backwoods fuckin rednecks who better hope I don't see them on the wrong property next year.

or what? youll shoot them? call the game warden on them? call the police? its illegal for any hunter to not make an attempt to get his deer. that means he can trespass on your sacred land and look for his deer if he thinks he shot it
surely you know this IF you hunt

get your facts straight before you come shooting your mouth off

i dont want a flame war and i dont want this thread locked.

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the law allowed for a hunter to go onto another persons property to retrieve their dogs, but not a deer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#14]
i believe you can look for the deer if you dont have a shot gun or any other kind of firearm in your hand.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Some people think hunting from a stand isn't sporting.  Some think baiting is immoral.  Some think preserve hunts are the same as "canned" hunts.  Some think hunting with dogs is akin to using poison darts.  I may not hunt over bait and I may not hunt with dogs, but I'm going to defend your right to do it.  I will certainly speak out about trespassing, drinking and other unsafe practices, but if you are obeying the law, I've got no problem with you doing what you enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Like I said, it's "Just my experience. YMMV"

Flame away if you want, I just said my piece. I never said ALL people who hunt with dogs are drunk rednecks who have no regard for people or property. Having had pretty much negative experience with people who "hunt" with dogs THAT is what I base my perceptions off of. It's human nature.

Given a running target the possibility of only wounding an animal is FAR higher than when shooting at a stationary target. Whatever trips your trigger.

Tresspassing onto someone elses land with or without dogs is illegal. Period. The people that I was refering to were HUNTING on my mother's property AFTER they were told to unass the AO. With or without dogs that's ILLEGAL.

A quick search of the VDGIF site says this about hunting with dogs...
Following & Retrieving Hunting Dogs:

When the chase begins on other lands, fox hunters and coon hunters may follow their dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on other lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve their dogs, but may not carry firearms or bows and arrows on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner or his agent

And this about hunting on land without permission...

Posted Property:
It is unlawful to hunt on posted property without written permission of the landowner and is punishable by a fine of up to $2500 and/or 12 months in jail.

Landowners may post their property by any of the following methods:

Using a paint mark of aluminum color paint consisting of a vertical line at least two inches in width and at least eight inches in length, no less than three feet and not more than six feet from the ground or normal water surface and visible when approaching the property.
Signs which specifically prohibit hunting, fishing or trespassing on the property.
Property not posted:
It is unlawful to hunt any unposted property without permission of the landowner and is punishable by a fine of up to $500.

Her land is posted.

www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regs/section6.html#dogs

EDITED per request.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#17]
PONY_DRIVER why piss off your friends in your own back yard ? We are friends aren't we?
I was hoping this would be the one forum this kind of name calling crap wouldn't pop up in!!!

Come on man edit out your insults and f#$* .
Lets leave the fights for GD or the pit.

your friendly neighborhood Moderator.

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm NOT trying to piss off anyone. I simply stated why I personally don't like to use dogs to hunt deer. The regs are quoted because there was confusion over what was and was not legal. Nothing more.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I grew up in Western Pennsylvania and never knew people hunted deer with dogs.  We always had beagles for running rabbits but if they ran deer my uncle would shoot them on the spot.  

After I moved to Virginia I was mountain biking up around Harrisonburg and saw this dog on the trial with an antenna.  After a few more miles I came to a fire road and there were 40 guys and 30 trucks just hanging out on the fire road.  We stopped and struck up a conversation with a few of the guys and I asked,

Me: "What are those dogs doing with antennas on?"
He: "They are tracking devices."
Me: "For tracking what exactly?"
He: "Bear."
Me: "You hunt bear with dogs?"
He: "It's not season yet, we're just running the dogs but yes we do."
Me: "How does it work?"
He: "The dogs chase a bear up a tree and we follow the dogs."
Me: "And you shoot the bear out of the tree?"
He: "Yes."
Me: "What sport is in that?"
My buddies: "Let's go!!!"

I honestly didn't mean anything by it and was more curious than anything else.  It's not the way I would want to hunt but to each his own.  I know the dogs love it.

Mud, I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback that would love to run down a deer and he needs the exercise so you are welcome to borrow him if you like.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the law allowed for a hunter to go onto another persons property to retrieve their dogs, but not a deer.

The laws do not give you the right to trespass to go get your deer or your dogs, however, all the game wardens I have ever talked to tell me that if a landowner gives you shit for trying to do either, then all you need to do is call the warden and they will come mitigate the circumstance.  The dogs are yours, but if a deer falls on their property, it ain't yours anymore unless they want to let you have it.  I had one warden who told me a landowner once forbid a hunter to come get the deer, and let the deer lay there dead until the buzzards ate it all up.

As far as the ethics of hunting/shooting a running animal or a stationary animal.  If you have the skills to take the shot, and kill in the most humane way possible (ie: one swift clean vital shot), then shoot if you have the shot.

Nstg8r
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#21]
we use tracking collars too. they sure do save alot of time. we used to get out of the truck and listen to the dogs and guess where they are going. all we do is hold the antena up and we hear a beeping and where ever the beeping is the strongest thats where the dog is.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The laws do not give you the right to trespass to go get your deer or your dogs, however, all the game wardens I have ever talked to tell me that if a landowner gives you shit for trying to do either, then all you need to do is call the warden and they will come mitigate the circumstance.  The dogs are yours, but if a deer falls on their property, it ain't yours anymore unless they want to let you have it.  I had one warden who told me a landowner once forbid a hunter to come get the deer, and let the deer lay there dead until the buzzards ate it all up.

Nstg8r

This is the section that PonyDriver quoted:

When the chase begins on other lands, fox hunters and coon hunters may follow their dogs on prohibited lands, and hunters of all other game, when the chase begins on other lands, may go upon prohibited lands to retrieve their dogs, but may not carry firearms or bows and arrows on their persons or hunt any game while thereon. The use of vehicles to retrieve dogs on prohibited lands shall be allowed only with the permission of the landowner or his agent

It states clearly that a person may enter prohibited land(Tresspass) to retrieve their dogs.

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#23]
One little thing not mentioned about the dog men coming onto posted property to retrieve their hound. If that land has live stock and that dog is harassing those animals "can be simply chasing them" the landowner has the right to shoot that K9. Doesn't matter if the dog's owner is there or not. I know from experience.

All I'll say to those folks that "hunt" with dogs is, if you care about those dogs be dame sure they stay away from livestock. I know farmers that kill more dogs than some hunt clubs kill dear in a season.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Oliver,

That's kinda my point. Although I don't hunt with dogs (for deer) I don't care who does. However! here's the rub. My mom owns 40 acres out of how many in VA? If you know 1. she doesn't let people just hunt her land w/o permission 2. she doesn't want dogs on her land why tempt fate? Mom's not the typical southern belle. She'll shoot your ass ina  heartbeat and not think twice. I'm sure PVFD304 has heard the stories of the crazy lady just around the bend!
The guy who caused all the problems are nothing more than ignorant assholes. Plain and simple. Just because you belong to a "hunt club" doesn't mean you can hunt wherever you please.

To piss me off even further we wlaked the fence line after the hurricane. Of all the places the fence was down only a few had limbs on them. Several looked intentionally CUT. THEN we noticed that someone had put up brand new "No hunting" signs on my mom's side of the fence! I would have given them the benefit of the doubt that they just leaned over and put them up, but seeing as how they tended to be where the fence was down was too suspicious.

If you want to hunt with dogs, that's fine. Just don't ruin MY hunt by having your hounds run by my AO.

Any animal that is harassing livestock can be shot. Wild, tame or otherwise.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top