Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2003 5:58:20 PM EDT
Just moved to Woodbridge (just north of Quantico off I95) about two months ago.  In other states, I used to enjoy browsing the pawn shops and gun stores for decent deals, plus looking at the classifieds (paper, Thrifty Nickel, etc.)

Then I come here.

No paper has gun ads, there's only one pawn shop in my area that deals in guns (he's had the same six pistols there for a month), and the gun stores (both of them) hardly have anything used at all.

In an area of a million people, I'd think there'd be a bigger trade in used firearms.

Can anyone tell me--where do people in NoVA go to sell their firearms?  And can I go there?

For you folks living in the DC area--how do you do it?

limaxray
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The last gun I bought used was a Sig P220 at VA Arms in Manassas.  There is a case (closest the the door) with nothing but used guns on consignment and near that case on the wall is used longguns.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#2]
As SocomCen said, VA Arms in Manassas.  And look at the various online forums.  I have done local deals with people here at from sigforum.com.  Just look for VA ads.  (There is a link to VA ads at the top of this forum)

www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?b=8&f=24&id=61
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Valley Trader.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:19:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Not exactly a direct source of used firearms, but plenty of deals on some used and many new ones at

C&E show in Richmond

or, to a much lesser extent

Old Dominion Shows here in NoVA

Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I've done the Old Dominion show here in Woodbridge, it's pretty decent.

I've lived in states where the Thrifty Nickel would have a full page of firearms ads; coming here has been a little bit of culture shock.

I vowed long ago to buy private party vs. gun shop/show as often as possible--not because I don't like shops, but because I think I can get better deals and I disagree in principle with background checks.

METT-T:  I can't for the life of me find the Valley Trader where I live.  Do you know of a web site or phone number for them to find out their delivery area?

Thanks to all for your help!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Degoff's, near richmond seemed to have a pretty good selection, check with Templar on this board.

There is a pawnshop in arlington right on 29 (or 50 i can't remember which) which is supposed to have guns but i've never stopped in there.

I know what you mean tho.  When  all of these police depts were getting rid of revolvers i kept checking the gun places around here looking to pick up a nice S&W but no joy.  In an area of this many people you would think guns are being bought and sold in greater numbers than the single cases of most gunshops.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Green Top has a bewildering array of used guns, especially long arms.

It’s on Route 1, between Ashland and Richmond – probably an hour or so from you, straight down I-95.

Potomac Arms in Alexandria (Zero Prince Street, IIRC) often has a fairly nice selection of used handguns, to include police trade-ins, at reasonable prices.  However, unless things have changed, there’s a county waiting period for handguns.

But if you really want to see used firearms, the ultimate is the C&E Showplace Gun Show in Richmond, cited by devoteddad above!!  I think the next show is in mid-October.  I strongly recommend you put that on your calendar - you won’t be disappointed!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#8]
maybe you should look for a trading post, its a news paper looking thing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
maybe you should look for a trading post, its a news paper looking thing.

What he said. Here in Norfolk (Hampton Roads) we have the "Tidewater Trader"...lots of stuff in there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#10]
The the Trading Post/Tidewater Trader/Thrifty Nickel thing is exactly what I'm looking for, but can't find anything like it where I live.  I've been to every 7-11--the usual place to find such newspapers--within 10 miles of my home (I think about 20!) and haven't seen a thing.

Very depressing.....the search continues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top