Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2003 3:56:06 PM EDT
There is a NRA training counselor who lives in the area who is offering some instructor courses. I am planning on taking the Pistol Instructor class first. The cost of the course is only about $75 but it would have to take place over a weekend. This would probably limit this to people who live in the area.

For anyone to be eligible you would have to prove that you are proficient with a pistol. This is done by an oral interview, and a written test ahead of time. It would also be a good thing if you have already had some kind of formal training with a pistol already. Preferably the NRA basic pistol course but something similar may also be acceptable. If anyone is interested just let me know.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be interested, but I'm not too savy with handguns yet. Plus I need $$$ and a job first. How often do they offer this course?
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Where is "the area"?
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
BFE!     Probably down near Farmville where gunnut lives.  

3 hrs from NOVA.  I should know, I was down there again today.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
BFE!     Probably down near Farmville where gunnut lives.  

3 hrs from NOVA.  I should know, I was down there again today.  

I guess someone was getting a new toy,what no pictures of it? Edited because I just saw the pic. Very nice looking by the way.

7 is correct in the area, the training counselor lives right next to Farmville in Rice, VA.

Pony_Driver, it seems that you are lacking all the necessary things. Proficiency is definitely a key factor in all this. The money part is actual quite a good deal. The last place I looked into for this training wanted about $350 for the same course. The counselor is flexible about the course schedule. It really just comes down to having enough people for the class.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in.  I've been teaching people and running ranges for years without having a "formal" certificate, it's about time I pony up and do it.

The money IS a great deal.

Let me know where/when and I'll do my best to be there.  Saturdays are almost impossible for me, but I might be able to work something out if given enough advanced warning.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I know your schedule is difficult to work around, but we can do this class whenever we want so we can work out any difficulties for you ahead of time. The training counselor is quite a good guy and easy to work with. I have already done the NRA Range Safety Officer training with him and enjoyed the class immensly. Once we get a couple of more people we can try to plan a weekend that will work for all.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Just me in the loop as well. I have always thought about helping out with the 4-H Shooting team here in Appomattox Co. Kind of waiting for my daughter to get old enough to join. I don't want to get burned out by the time she get in the program.

I took her shooting for the first time last week and told her all the safety lessons. She was riding in thew car with my wife a few days later and she started telling her about how to be safe with firearms. Made me glad to know she took it all in (She is 4 years old BTW)

Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I am lacking in a lot of things! LOL I'm fairly competent with pistols, but I'm not intimately familiar with them. For the money I don't think you'll beat it, ever.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I may be in on this one if the schedule works out.
I've taken HG 1 and 2 with Pat Goodale, so it would be nice to be a certified instructor as well.

DD
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I may be in on this one if the schedule works out.
I've taken HG 1 and 2 with Pat Goodale, so it would be nice to be a certified instructor as well.

DD

DD, I don't think it will be any problem coming up with a weekend that will work for all of us. The guy running is quite willing to work around our schedule. If you know anyone else that is interested let them know as well. I think this will be a lot of fun as well as informative.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:15:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
DD, I don't think it will be any problem coming up with a weekend that will work for all of us. The guy running is quite willing to work around our schedule. If you know anyone else that is interested let them know as well. I think this will be a lot of fun as well as informative.

Kewl!!!I will ask a select few then. Thanks for even thinking of this as a group thing. This might just mean that my current selection of handguns may not suffice and i may have to pick up one for this event LOL.
After all, we are saving quite a sum of money based on this instructor's rate vs the typical rate out there
thanks, dd
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I am going to call the trainer after the weekend. Would you guys prefer to do this in August or September? Plus what weekends would be open to you in those months?

I won't be able to this the weekend of Aug. 23rd, or the weekend of Sept. 13. I think Labor Day weekend is out as well.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn...you guys have all the fun down there in the boonies lol.  Left us poor NOVA folks out in the cold again!
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 4:07:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I am going to call the trainer after the weekend. Would you guys prefer to do this in August or September? Plus what weekends would be open to you in those months?

I won't be able to this the weekend of Aug. 23rd, or the weekend of Sept. 13. I think Labor Day weekend is out as well.

Tentatively, Sept 6/7 or Sept 20/21 or Oct 4/5 looks ok for me.
Is this a 2 day event - ie we need to find a hotel or something saturday night???

Fenian - i live in NOVA LOL

DD
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey, if you can make it before Oct. 11th I can probably make it. (I'm getting married Oct. 11th)

DD, we could car pool!

--LS
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd love to get in on this too, Sept 20/21 would be perfect for me, if it does indeed happen.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hey, if you can make it before Oct. 11th I can probably make it. (I'm getting married Oct. 11th)

DD, we could car pool!

--LS

Gettin married eh....congratulations!!!! Yup - we sure can carpool. Just want to confirm if this is a 1 or 2 day event so i can work on gettin approval from my CinC.

Hey smjayman, good to see you around

DD
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#18]
This is definitely going to be a two day event. The trainer usually does Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. I don't have the requirements in front of me, but it is supposed to be an 18 or 20 hour course for pistol instructor. If we need to, we probably can make it a two day class but they will be long days.

I almost forgot, congratulations on the upcoming wedding longshot!
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I spoke with the Training Counselor this evening and his schedule is flexible. How about we say the weekend of the September 19,20, and 21. This is a 20 hour class and he said that trying to squeeze it into two days just isn't practicle. If this date is OK to everyone I will set that weekend for us.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Can one of you gents please list what is needed besides the $75?
Do I have to have any hand gun courses as a prerequisite, or can my own years of personal pistol experience be enough?

How far from Annapolis MD is Farmville?
Also, would anyone let me spend the night?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Can one of you gents please list what is needed besides the $75?
Do I have to have any hand gun courses as a prerequisite, or can my own years of personal pistol experience be enough?

How far from Annapolis MD is Farmville?
Also, would anyone let me spend the night?

Personal experience may not be enough. The Training Counselor takes his responsibilities very seriously. He is not like some of these places that will train just about anyone as long as they pay the money. He makes almost no money from doing this, because he believes that proper training with a firearm is so important. If you could find a local NRA Basic Pistol course to attend before-hand it would be a big help. If you are truly serious about this I can give you his phone number and you can discuss it with him.

If you can meet all the requirements that he expects and you are willing to drive, I may just have a couch for you to sleep on. The big problem is that you will have to meet him at some point before the class for an interview and to take a basic knowledge test about pistols. You must also show that you are proficient with a pistol at the range on the same day.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Gunnut, thanks for putting this together, but I will more than likely be in the UK at the time, so I won't be able to make it.

Thanks again though!
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:02:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Ok, so the RQTS are:

1.Prior documented experience to be personally verified by trainer via interviews and such. I guess those with CCW's can be helpful.

2.two nights in the Farmville invirons

3.dough for food/drinks - 3 dinners, 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches

4.75 bucks for the course

Some additional Q's:
1. is Farmville the closet location? I'm gonna start research on places to stay unless you can recommend some motels and such. Dunno if camping is an option but i'll throw it out there

2. How much ammo is needed??

3. How much for rangetime and other training supplies??

This is shaping up. We'll be able to confirm myself in a few days - just need to pull all this info together and talk it over with the wife...

Thanks again..
DD

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:28:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Any members needing info about the Farmville area,feel free to IM me. I work for the Town.

Camping : www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/twinlake.htm Twin Lake State Park is the closest camping site.

Motels : www.farmville.va.motels.innfo.com/
Super 8, Comfort Inn, and Days Inn are the reccommended motels.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:47:38 AM EDT
[#25]
 Just did an expedia search...

Comfort Inn Farmville
No rooms available on the selected dates: 9/19/2003 - 9/20/2003.

Super 8 Motel - Farmville

Days Inn - Farmville

uh...oh.... camping may be it!

Any other options??- adjacent town maybe??

DD

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 6:46:39 AM EDT
[#26]
DD,

I can hook us up, gear wise, for camping. Tent and everything.

Is there a firm date yet?????

I want to do this AND the FAL build which I think is early Sept as well.

--LS
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I just called and they have plenty of rooms. Hope you can make it.

SUPER 8 MOTEL
Highway 15 South and US 460 Bypass
Farmville, VA 23901 US
Phone: 434-392-8196

Days Inn
2011 S. Main
Farmville, Virginia  23901
434-392-6611

Comfort Inn
2108 S. Main St.
US 15 & US 460 Bypass
Farmville, VA, US
Phone: (434) 392-8163      

Comfort Inn
419 N. Agnew St.
Burkeville, VA, US, 23922
Phone: (434) 767-3750
(this one is not too far away, 8 miles maybe)

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Just checked expedia again - 53-62 buck per night. I think putting 19th-20th the first time around messed it up, hence no availability. Now at 19th-21st (2 nights) plenty!!

Thanks for looking into this PVFD!

LS - looks like there are rooms available. I have another friend smjayman who is down for this. So that's 3 from NOVA so far. Anybody else in NOVA interested?? Should we begin to spread the word out a little more??

dd

Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I will be honest, I don't think any real documentation is needed as proof of prior experience. If you have it, it wouldn't hurt at all. I believe the oral interview is how he judges whether the candidate has the experience, that and the shooting portion that will take place the same day as the interview.

I will have to find out about amount of ammo needed, but I don't believe it will be much at all.

Two nights of lodging is going to be needed, unless you are up to driving back and forth each day.

Food isn't to expensive out here in the sticks so it won't cost too much for you guys.

Another option for lodging that is nearby is Sheldon's Motel & Restaurant in Keysville, VA. There #434-736-8434. I am not sure of the rates but it is a nice little place.I doubt they have a websiteI take that back, they do have a website www.sheldonshospitality.com/. The only benefit to staying in Farmville is that there is a lot more going on in that town. They roll up the sidewalks in Keysville after dark.

I will IM or Email those interested with the contact info for the Training Counselor. This way you will be able to set up your oral interviews and written test to fit your own schedule. Here is a hint to all those who contact him. He only will teach those who are truly serious about guns and gun safety. He definitely doesn't want any "Rambo" types. So if you are a "Rambo" type, just pretend you aren't.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 4:50:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I will be honest, I don't think any real documentation is needed as proof of prior experience. If you have it, it wouldn't hurt at all. I believe the oral interview is how he judges whether the candidate has the experience, that and the shooting portion that will take place the same day as the interview.

I will have to find out about amount of ammo needed, but I don't believe it will be much at all.

Two nights of lodging is going to be needed, unless you are up to driving back and forth each day.

Food isn't to expensive out here in the sticks so it won't cost too much for you guys.

Another option for lodging that is nearby is Sheldon's Motel & Restaurant in Keysville, VA. There # 736-8434. I am not sure of the rates but it is a nice little place. I doubt they have a website. The only benefit to staying in Farmville is that there is a lot more going on in that town. They roll up the sidewalks in Keysville after dark.

I will IM or Email those interested with the contact info for the Training Counselor. This way you will be able to set up your oral interviews and written test to fit your own schedule. Here is a hint to all those who contact him. He only will teach those who are truly serious about guns and gun safety. He definitely doesn't want any "Rambo" types. So if you are a "Rambo" type, just pretend you aren't.

Thanks VA-G!!

So far from Nova:
LS
smjayman
myself

Anybody else interested? I have emailed 2 other guys and am waiting their replies/interest.

DD
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#31]
DD, it sounds like you will have a good size group coming down. I think you will all enjoy this class. Maybe we will be able to schedule another class in the future. I want to take the Home Firearm Safety, and Personal Protection Instructor classes next.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Im interested in the class, but I dont have any written documentation, but I was just in Jax and went shooting with one of the mods "new-arguy" and Im sure he can vouch for me. If theres still room, Im going to try to take the CCW class in the end of this month.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Im interested in the class, but I dont have any written documentation, but I was just in Jax and went shooting with one of the mods "new-arguy" and Im sure he can vouch for me. If theres still room, Im going to try to take the CCW class in the end of this month.

Since I am not the training counselor I don't get to pick who can attend. Attending an NRA pistol course for your CCW would be the best way in. You would also have to demonstrate that you are quite familiar with how a pistol and safe handling of one. If you feel that you can meet these requirements then you would be quite welcome to attend the class.

What part of VA are you located?

Link Posted: 8/11/2003 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Fairfax.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#35]
If you can make this course, you should try to contact some of the NOVA crew about linking up with them for the trip down.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I dont know the NOVA crew(Im a newbie) but Ill try to make it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#37]
I talked to the instructor Friday. I got my book and will meet with him next week one day to conduct the interview.

So who is going to make it?

He said about 6-8 people so far.

Link Posted: 9/1/2003 6:07:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Jesus_Q,

Contact devotedad. You can email him from his post on pg. 1 of this thread.

He is coordinating the NoVA guys.

You will still have to determine if you qualify.. not sure how to do that.

--LS
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Jesus_Q,

Contact devotedad. You can email him from his post on pg. 1 of this thread.

He is coordinating the NoVA guys.

You will still have to determine if you qualify.. not sure how to do that.

--LS

I just received an IM from JQ and he said that he wasn't going to be able to make it.

There still may be time for anyone else interested in attending. If you are interested, just let me know, and we will see what we can do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:25:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I talked to the instructor Friday. I got my book and will meet with him next week one day to conduct the interview.

So who is going to make it?

He said about 6-8 people so far.

Yup, and 5 of us are from up here. We all got our books too. The instructor hooked us up with a good rate at the Comfort inn in Farmville, and he is coming up here a week before the class to do the prequal interview and do the range time thingie.
Looking forward to being there.

VA-gunnut (Anthony),
I did send JQ an email when i saw his response last week. Too bad he can't make it.

DD

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, the first four of us completed our pre-course interview this evening at the Training Counselor's house. Everything went smooth and I am looking forward to the class next week.

Good Luck to the guys from NOVA on your pre-course interviews tomorrow. The written test ins't hard at all. Lots of common sense questions, and everything can be found in the book. The hands on stuff was very basic as well.

See you NOVA guys next week.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#42]
We just finished our own prequal and initial range time today. Everything went well, i think we had one mistake each on the written exam.

Looking forward to being down there next weekend.

BTW, we are down to 4 from up here. One had to back down.

DD
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#43]
DD, thats great to hear. Sorry you lost one from the group, but we will still have 8 total. 3 of the 4 down here missed one question as well. It was probably the same question that you guys missed. We missed the one on trigger squeeze.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#44]
You know, the only thing that's got me worried about next weekend is this chick Isabela. If power goes out in my neighborhood, i would have to call the weekend off for myself. Andrew, almost killed my wife in S. Fl and she is pretty spooked about Hurricanes.
Other than that, we are looking forward to the road trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DD
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#45]
I hope this hurricane doesn't hit, or at least not too hard. I will be definitely be disappointed if the class has to be cancelled.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#46]
I spoke with John's wife this evening and the class is still on. The only thing that will cancell it is if there is no power at the building.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 3:40:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I spoke with John's wife this evening and the class is still on. The only thing that will cancell it is if there is no power at the building.

V-G,
What is the sitrep from your end? I am gonna call John mid morning to give him an update. This storm stuff has forced myself(tree threatening sidewalk in front of my house) and another guy to pull out. As of last night, Long-Shot and smjayman where ok to go. Am just waiting for them to contact me this morning to confirm.
DD
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Well I just got back from the class and my power is back on. Sorry you guys from NOVA couldn't make it. Maybe you guys can arrange for John to come up and do the class, or re-schedule a weekend down this way.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Finished the class Sunday. Thanks go out to Va-gunnut for doing the legwork on this one!

The instructor was a great guy, power was off and he held the class at his house (w/generator). He and his wife went above and beyond the call to make us feel at home. He was also a wealth of knowledge.

Sorry that the NOVA guys could not make it.

Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#50]
I am glad that you were able to make it to the class PVFD, considering the weather and everything.

John, definitely went out of his way for us all. He definitely is a great guy and a great resource.

Soon we will need to start planning for the Personal Protection Instructor class.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top