Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2003 4:33:35 PM EDT
The local gun club that I am a member of is having its monthly meeting Thursday evening. I am planning asking for permission to host a shoot at their facility and a waiver for use of class 3 stuff during the shoot. This is a very nice place, main building with a kitchen, meeting area, and bathrooms. I think they now have 15 skeet houses and are planning on a wobble trap machine as well. They have a covered rifle range, max distance out to 200yds. The pistol range is there but in poor shape, but it would be perfect to line up a bunch of guys who want to make brass.

Since this place is probably about 3hrs from most members on here, I am looking for some input if you would be interested in attending. I was thinking about either late September, or October. Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Any way to spruce up the pistol range for them without an arm and a leg outlay?  Could possibly open the facility to further shooting adventures there......

Hmm??

Oh, I am in for a shoot whenever in those months.  Where is it?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking about Bull Run Shooting Center?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I am currently working on getting the club to fix up the pistol range. I joined last October and have been trying to get them to expand into other areas for the club. Most members are into skeet shooting.

No, I am talking about the Arrow Head Gun Club in Chase City Virginia. Even though they have neglected the pistol range, the rest of the facility is quite nice.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking more along the lines of us {the invited shooters} doing some work, like if they supply the supplies or 3/4 of the supplies and we supply the elbow grease.....this may ply them for future structured events.

Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I would like to get in on this shoot also. Class 3 sounds good! All I have to do is find Chase City.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:33:49 AM EDT
[#6]
This sounds great!
Most of us are not going to Texas in October so this could make up for that!

Once you get approvel set a date soon so we can get the day off work!

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd be down for it barring no other commitments thay may pop up. I'd even bring along some tools and paint or whatever to help hook up the range with some beautifying!
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I could probably be pursuaded for such a thing.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, a work party would be a great idea, plus it would let the trap shooters at the range know that us black-rifle guys aren't so bad.

Count me in
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
If I get approval for this I will explore some possiblities. One thought I had to help convince the club board was to maybe raffle something off and have the proceeds go to refurbishing the pistol range.

I don't think working on the range would be necessary because the ideas floating around for the upgrade are substantial. It would involve bulldozing new lanes. The hope is to setup the range to start some IDPA competitions.

I am just hoping that they will allow this because I have lots of ideas for this. One idea is having a swap meet in the main building.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#11]
VA-Gunnut, keep me in the loop on this.  As a FFL holder I could find something to donate to a raffle if it would help pull this off.  I would also be willing to work with the organizer, as my FFL brings discounts to all kinds of shooting gear that could be raffled as well.

Please feel free to contact me directly at: [email protected]
or
Steve @ 804-986-7409

Just hope you don't have it the second and third week of September, I'll be in Wisconsin bow hunting for buckzilla.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the offer Steve. If I get the go-ahead for this I will let you know. Any help would always be appreciatted. I was thinking about trying to do some kind of raffle. I was going to contact any dealers from VA on the site to come with goodies for people to look at. Of course this is all contigent on the club, but they are a pretty good group of guys so I don't think it will be a problem.

RobertM made a good point about October being a good time to help the poor folks who aren't going to Texas. I was thinking of trying to get the weekend of the 11th and 12th. Having this weekend will keep it from interfering with the gunshow the following weekend.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Is this club taking on new members ? Chase city isnt too far from me. I would be intrested in helping for the shoot myself.

Thanks
Cliff
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is this club taking on new members ? Chase city isnt too far from me. I would be intrested in helping for the shoot myself.

Thanks
Cliff

As far as I know they are taking new members. They aren't limited to the amount of members that they can have, or at least not that I have been told. The last count that I heard was that they has 165 or so members. The cost is $75 the first year and $50 every year after that. I may have to take you up on the offer for help since you are so close.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Where is it?  Can you post the address so we can mapquest it?

Thanks!
Alex
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow that out there for the NOVA crew.

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I might be interested, all depends on if I go to Knob Creek in the fall or not.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I made my pitch to the club board members tonight but I didn't get any definite answer. They said they needed to contact their insurance carrier to find out about the class 3 stuff. I should hopefully have an answer in a week or so about that.

They did seem receptive to the idea about it. The weekend of the 11-12th is taken so that isn't going to work. It looks like the weekend before will be open. I will have to nail that down for sure. They asked if I could come up with a written proposal of the days events by next months meeting. So we have a month to hash out some ideas for the day. I was thinking about some different possiblities for the day. This kind of thing will probably require a small fee from those who come. I am guessing somewhere from $10-$20, depending on what can come up with for the day. This will be used to cover any costs for the club, and anything above that would go to funding the pistol range upgrade.

Of course everyone getting to blaze away is a a definite.
Other possiblities include:
Skeet shooting
Skeet lessons for those interested
Possible long range shooting competition
Possible IDPA style competition
Swap Meet
raffle
A "How to build an AR" demonstration

I was hoping to make this thing user friendly to everyone. I have encountered at other shoots people who said they were hesitant about coming out to this kind of thing. They all had a good time and were glad they came when they were done. I don't want this to be something that will scare off newbies to AR world.

I welcome any and all suggestions of different things for the day. If you don't want to post them, just IM or email me with the ideas.

As far as this being a drive for some. Yes it can be a bit of a drive for the NOVA folks, but what isn't a bit of a drive in this state. The club grounds are set-up water and electric for campers. The cost is $10 for the use of the spots. Once I get some more firm details I am going to post a link in the NC, and MD forums for those people that may want to come in for this.

Again, lets hear some ideas on what you guys might like to see.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:44:58 AM EDT
[#19]
This sounds like It could realy shape up to a nice weekend shoot.
Camping adds to the Picture, any cheap hotels near by?

I would be glad to help on this Tony as soon as you get the OK and a date.

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:18:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Sounds good! I'll just "camp" at my mom's place it isn't too far away! LOL
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#21]
It may be that we can make this a two day event. It depends on what we can get planned for then. It also would depend on how many people we can get to turnout. There are some reasonable motels nearby. I will post that kind of info when and if it comes down to that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Count me in. I'll help out in any way I can. I hope we can show that black rifle shooter are not all bad!

Link Posted: 7/19/2003 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I am planning on having this shoot even if we don't get the OK for Class 3 stuff. Even if we only have an informal shoot that would be OK with me. Of course I would like to include as much stuff as possible, so just let me know what you guys think. This will be for everyone here, so your input will help make this a better time for all.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was thinking more along the lines of us {the invited shooters} doing some work, like if they supply the supplies or 3/4 of the supplies and we supply the elbow grease.....this may ply them for future structured events.

I'm in for that! As well as the shoot, class III or not. VA-gunnut, how far is that from Lynchburg?

MM419
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#25]
as long as my schedule permits im in!  my work makes the schedule two months in asvance so its too late to ask off ansd i also have school but im gonna try like hell to go.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd like to help if I could, and an IDPA match or some 3 Gun stuff would always be cool!
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Minuteman419, it is about 2 hours from Lynchburg, of course driving speed does make a difference.

davidp14, I still haven't gotten a word about the first weekend of October. That weekend is still about 2 1/2 months away. I will let you know as soon as possible so you can try to get off.

Templar, of course any volunteering will be helpful. Once the details can be worked out more then we can figure what people can help with.

Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#28]
First weekend in Oct.... Bow season starts then. I need to start thin'n out the fuzzy population by then.... Let us know!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
First weekend in Oct.... Bow season starts then. I need to start thin'n out the fuzzy population by then.... Let us know!!

Speaking of which I have a PSE Nova that needs to be restrung and dialed in again. A lil practice and look out bambi!
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Sounds good Tony, Have you locked in the dates yet?

October is good for me. That would make for a beautiful drive.

Hotels and motels nearby?
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#32]
If in October this would likely be a very nice, scenic drive.....

I have considered land in South Boston.....a little bitty bit further south from this location.....

Sounds like a convoy in the making......
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#33]
It's not that far for the NoVA ARFCOMers! 95 down to Petersburg, 85W to 460...my buddy made it from Southern MD to 1/2 hour past Farmville in ~4 hours. Then again considering I drive 180 one way to my mom's or back home in MD every so often (sometimes every weekend) my perception of "long drive" is a bit skewed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#34]
i just checked yesterday, the schedule is done untill 9/26, so i have some time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#35]
It's not that far from NoVa, guys.  I can drive to Herndon in 3 hours; Purcellville in about 3 1/2 hours and I take Route 15 which is a two lane road.  So I95 should be quicker. I am only about 20 minutes away from the gun club.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#36]
95 SUCKS.  This past Saturday going to Olivers place, I was stopped 3 times going down 95 at 7am.  Delay was about 10-20 mins each place.   Coming back home leaving there at 12:30, I was delayed about 7 times each about 10-20 minutes on 95 north.   GRRRRRRR

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I still haven't gotten anymore info. I will try calling tomorrow night and finding out for sure about the date.

The interstates probably won't be as bad in October as it is in the summer.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#38]
What would they say if we just overran the place and left $10-$20 tip each?
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#39]
This sounds great.  I'd love to take skeet lessons!

I don't know my schedule yet, but I'd like to help if I can.  Let me know!
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I still haven't gotten word back from the club about the dates. I spoke to another member who is going to see the guy in charge of scheduling events tomorrow. I will hopefully have word tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#41]
ROAD TRIP!! I'm sure some of us NOVA folks could convoy/carpool...I'd be up for a shoot.  3 hours isn't that bad...I drove up to York, Pa a couple of years ago for a FAL shoot.  October is perfect...cooler weather, for one thing.  

I'm sure I have a couple friends that would enjoy it as well. Keep us all posted...so we know when to get the motel rooms hehehe.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been thinking......

THREE GUN MATCH

I think it's very doable and October is a great month to do it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm going to lock this one so we don't have Differnt topics on the same event
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top