Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/14/2003 6:27:16 AM EDT
I am considering building another FAL.  I've got just about enough parts for this venture but still need to order a receiver.  This is NOT a difficult process but does require some help with barrel installation.  One of the top home gunsmiths around happens to live in Alexandria and I'm pretty sure I could talk him into a build party for that.

So... any interest?  Here's a few options for you:

1.  Buy a top of the line STG58 kit for $300, a DSA reciever for $400, enough US parts to be compliant for $100.  This one would be the ultimate and would not require refinishing.

2.  Same thing with a Coonan reciever from FAC for $200.  Its pretty much the same thing but investment cast, rather than forged.  I've heard nothing but good things about this receiver.

3.  A G1 or Imbel kit for $100 to $150 on a Coonan or Imbel receiver.  The Imbel receiver is not a US part and means you'll have to get another somewhere on the gun.  It is also a type 3 receiver which means it is ugly but it is made on genuine FN licensed machinery and is forged.

Oh... one thing that needs done before a build party is to have the muzzle device either silver soddered or blind pinned.  Gary doesn't have the equipment for that so get that done before hand.

e-mail me if you're up for this or if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey Steve,
Why the heck not... Gotta have a rifle version of the stg carbine. A couple of Q's.

How long does it take to order this from DSA?

Need an FFL for the upper right?

Did you ever post a pic of your preban?

Im sure i have more questions. Also BTW, gotta run this by my CinC LOL.

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you need an FFL for the upper.  If you want a Coonan or Imbel receiver, go see Ernie at Gilberts.  He has his FFL on file with FAC and will charge $230 for them.  That's not a bad deal all things considered.  

DSA is VERY fast at shipping anything they have in stock.  I've placed a couple orders with them and they never take longer than a week.

They've got some G1 kits for $134 and charge another $35 for refinishing.  They are also the cheapest guys around for the STG58 kits.

No, still no pics of the pre-ban.  I'm shipping it off this week to get the short barrel installed.  When it gets back, I'll get some up.

BTW... I just ordered 2 Coonan and 1 Imbel receiver for myself.  After doing a quick inventory, I've got enough parts for 2 complete rifles after a few compliance parts purchases.  I'm doing a lightweight and an all Imbel and will be saving the other Coonan for a later "sniper" project.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Hee hee were gonna build a rifle or two....
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey Steve,
While we are talking fals here - what do you think of the aussie ammo group buy being talked up at falfiles. Sounds like a good deal and they are trying to get guys to get in by region
www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74087

Just read up on it and it is 7.62 in stripper clips in bandos in a cans. 150 bucks or so per thousand + minimal shipping.

Thought id ask the resident fal dude..

DD
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Who is the gunsmith?  
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Who is the gunsmith?  Well, that's something I'm working on.  There is a guy at the FALfiles who is one of the innovators of the term WECSOG or Wile E. Coyotee School Of Gunsmithing.  His name is Gary Jeter and he's built a good number of FALs.  I've e-mailed him and his schedule is tight for the next couple of months.  He did say that if all we needed was barrel installation, he'd be able to help.  I'm going to put out a call on the FALfiles to see if there is anybody else who can help with this.

Building a FAL is almost too easy.  The only catch to the whole thing is installing the barrel.  You need a couple of tools to time the barrel (lining up the barrel so the front sight is dead center) and headspacing.  To get the proper headspace, you need something called a locking shoulder.  Every kit comes with one and you can get lucky for the one you get to be the right one for your build.  If not, you've got to buy a new one or trade your in for the correct size.  That part is not a big deal.  Once you screw on and time the barrel, you check headspace.  If you need a locking shoulder of a different size, you can simply send your off and the new one drops right in.  The size you need will not change.

In a few minutes, I'm going to post a few suggestions on kits and receivers.  Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Before you guys get started buying kits, you need to make a few decisions.  You need to decide what is important to you.  Are you just interested in the best battle rifle for the money?  Do you want a light weight?  Perhaps a "sniper" version?  Maybe you want a "correct" FAL meaning identical to one used by somebody's military.  Below, I'll post a few different options you have, including positives and negatives of each.

1.  STG58.  DSA has these for $300 and are Austrian made.  They are nearly new and don't need to be refinished.  I hate the STG handguards and the muzzle device is pretty heavy.  The handguards are metal and look cool but get extremely hot after a couple of mags through it.  This is the easiest one to get and build but is also the most expensive and heaviest.  The barrel is made by Styer and is probably the best available.

2.  Imbel.  This used to be the most cost effecient but they are sold out just about everywhere.  Most Imbels will need refinished.  They were standard issue Brazilian contract rifles.  They were carried a lot but used very little.  Condition of the bore is usually excellent.  They are built on a "Type 3" reciever and if you want the upper to match your lower, you'll need a Type 3 upper.  That means Imbel.  The Type 3 is heavier than the Type 1 or 2 and doesn't look as slick.  I prefer the Imbel handguards to anything else out there.  They are very comfortable.

3.  G1.  This was the German variant but most ended up in Turkey.  The G1 kits are pretty rough and barrels can be pretty worn.  You can get these from DSA with a new barrel and refinished, both of which are worth the extra money.  A G1 with a new barrel and finish is awesome looking.  They were used by the German police and most had wood stocks.  If you are interested in this, I know a guy who sells complete and refinished ones for $230.

4.  One piece at a time.  If you can get a "front end" from one of these, you can install it on any receiver you want and choose the lower from anywhere.  For instance, you can get a new US barrel, front sight and gas tube from DSA and install it on a Type 1 receiver.  Then, you can stick it on an aluminum lower for a lightweight.  Or, you can get a para folding stock (these are expensive but easy to convert back and forth from folding to non-folding so you can save it for the sunset).  There is no end to what you can do for the lower.  You'll also need to find a bolt and carrier ($40 at Tapco) and top cover.  You can add a flat top cover for $40 to $120 and it drops right on.

The "one piece at a time" is the most expensive route but also allows you to pick and choose the features you want.

There are three good sources for receivers.  One is DSA.  They are pricey but really nice.  They are forged and you can choose type 1 2 or 3 and choose if you want a carry handle.  You can get a Coonan Type 1 with or without carry handle.  These are cast but are suposed to be very nice.  Imbel is only type 3 but is forged and still made on FN contract machinery.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd be willing to hang out and watch this transpire, maybe even be the photog of the event.

Let me know when it is happening....

Ed
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Anybody interested in an Imbel kit should jump on this.  http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75037

These are almost impossible to find now.  The missing butt stock is not a big problem.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd be up for a parking party, the one i built is UUgly.  I got another kit and receiver that i might build just to be neighborly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#11]
So... how soon would some of you like to pursue this?  We probably need a full day to do this and Saturdays are out for me and I only have every other Sunday off.  I've got June 1 off but will be on vacation after that so we'd be into late June or early July.  So its either two weeks or we're into the summer.  I can handle either a quick or no-so-quick time frame.  Let me know what works and I'll talk to Gary about what he can handle.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I am for the later dates. Personally I want to build 2 rifles. Definately want to go with a G1 kit as I love the wood stocks and probably with Coonan receivers. Just gotta come up with the funds.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree Nick.  4 to 6 weeks gives us time to actually plan a build.  The guy I got one of my kits from is just about out of kits.  He's stopped selling them but will consider trades for firearms.  His web site is www.globelmilitarysurplus.com.  His name is Ken Kubin.  Tell him Steve referred you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone have directions or a Telephone # for Gilbets?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Gilbert's Small Arms Range 8194 M Terminal Rd. Lorton VA 22079 Phone:
(703) 550-8005

They are right off Backlick road in Springfield.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#16]
For any of you looking for kits, there are a couple listed today at the FALsiles.  One is a Dan's kit which will need refinished but these are probably the best deal for the money.  The guy selling it is selling because he has become paranoid about the BATFE's actions against a completely different company.  He is over-reacting and you can get a nice kit for $130 plus shipping.  www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75292

The other is a refinished G1 kit with all the US compliance parts you will need.  He didn't post pics, but it sounds like a VERY nice one.  Because it comes with all the compliance parts needed, it is a great deal at $290.  www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74554

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quite the little matchmaker aren't you cliffy109?  Wish i had a few bucks both are good deals.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#18]
1 G1 kit inbound...... My wife is soooooo gonna kill me if she finds out.
Anyone wanna trade an upper receiver and a kit for a nice Firestar M43 9mm w/4mags and some cash?
I'm really asking!

E-mail me if ya have something I want. And you all know what I mean, Fal parts, I'm gonna need a bunch of stuff.
Nick
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Egg-Sell-ant.  

Where'd you find the G1 kit?  Did you get the refinish option?  There's a guy at the FALfiles selling hand carved zebrawood stocks for $155 that is making me drool.  It would look unbelievable on a G1 build.

Here's my build plans...

1.  aluminum DSA lower, aluminum DSA charging handle, Coonan type 1 w/o carry handle, Penguin economy stock (VERY light weight) and TAPCO economy plastic hand guards.  I'll use an Imbel HTS and a non-bipod cut barrel cut to 17" with no muzzle device.  The barrel is being parked as we speak.  This will be my "ultralight" FAL and I think I can get it under 8.5 and maybe under 8 pounds.

2.  Imbel receiver with the take-offs from my SAR48.  This will be an all Imbel rifle with genuine factory new handguards, stock, barrel and lower.  I'll install a the HTS from FSE, along with a Tapco pistol grip, DSA chargine handle, Tapco gas piston FSE fake muzzle thingy and US floor plates.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok first kit is coming from the guy over at Fal files that had the imbel kit. He also had a G1 kit still in cosmoline complete, so I took it. Turkish wood and he said in overall good condition. We'll see when I receive it.

Second kit I'm still mulling over. Ken at Globel is willing to trade me 1 refinished kit for my Firestar. I would be taking a bit of a hit on this trade. Also this happens to be the first handgun I ever bought so I need to make sure this is a damn nice kit (sentimental value of the Firestar).
Cliffy have you seen any of Kens kits? Are they worth $300?
I know I will need receivers and other things. Still have to come up with more cash but 2 rifles are always better than one!

BTW, anyone else in on this with us, it should be alot of fun!  Also great chance to meet and spend some time getting to know one another.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:09:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I've got one of Ken's kits.  It is as good as it gets for an Imbel.  It looks brand new but good refinishing has a way of doing that.  The bore is bright and shiney.  The stock is in very good shape, including the butt pad which is normally hard to find.  I don't know about $300 though.  Its probably more like $250.  

What you might check on is some smithing.  You're going to have to do something with the muzzle brake.  He can "neuter" an Imbel flash hider and silver sodder it on.  If you do that, it adds to the foreign parts count so you'll have to add another US part somewhere else.  You could see if he will throw in an FSE (normally a $30 part) and sodder that on.  That should just about make up the difference in price and will keep you compliant.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Just an update...

I made a trade over the weekend for an STG-58 kit with a guy in Kalifornia.  It should arrive by next week.  I haven't decided if I will keep it or sell or trade it.  Most likely, I will use it for a build and then sell it for a profit to pay for the other parts for other guns.

Right now, it looks like we have three of us for a build party.  Whisper is on board for possibly 2, Curt will be building one (I think) and will be supplying the tools and barrel installation help and I'm building two or three.  

If anybody else is interested, it looks like late June to July before we actually get started.  Let me know if you need help getting started.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#23]
My receivers arrived today!  I also put in the orders for the compliance parts.  I'll have one box each arriving from Tapco and DSA over the next week.  The barrels for two of the kits are with Ken at Globel and should be back in the next 2 weeks.  The STG kit should arrive next week as well.  I'm just about ready to go.  If it weren't for a vacation in mid-June, I'd be making final plans.

Anybody else getting close?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I believe all i need is a sear spring and a muzzle brake (going to try that this time around).  Anyone got a MAP torch that i can use to solder my brake on?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:08:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Ok I figured I'd better chime in a progress report.
Waiting on one G1 kit from a seller off the Fal boards, should be here in a day or two if he actually sent it. (fingers crossed)

Ken agreed to a trade for a G1 kit which he will be cutting the barrel on for me. 16" or 17" have not decided yet awaiting a response from him. He told me several weeks before I get the kit though.

I still do not know what parts I will need for us compliance or what the hell a 'FSE' is?
Got to get a list together and then decide where to order them from. (Probably Tapco)

Need to call Gilberts next week and have them order me a Coonan receiver. (this will work on a G1 kit, yes?)

Also I have no problem offering up my basement and garage for space to do the work in, or chipping in to buy and share tools we will need for the build. I plan on building 2 rifles and maybe a third if anyone takes me up on my trade offer? www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=98&t=167863

Really looking forward to this...

Also can anyone recommend a good body shop near Fredericksburg?
My wife got rear ended a few days ago and my Toyota 4runner needs some serious TLC....

Update: Decided to take the plung an just order a receiver, so Ernie up at Gilberts has my CC# and will be picking one up for me soon. BTW price was $250.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#26]
I've done a barrel installation before.  I replaced a pitted one with one of the Argie barrels that DSA sells/sold.  It's pretty easy.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Whisper,
Its easy enough to cut the barrel so if there's a major weight we can do it.  Of course getting the gas port right is another issue. I got an odd size drill bit that worked fine for my 18" YMMMV with a 16".  FSE is first son enterprise known for making high quality FAL parts most notably the hammer,trigger,sear (HTS) which would count for 3 parts.  So to get the foriegn parts count down to 10 you'll need 3 more us parts or 4 if you use a brake (i get a little confused on that one).  The coonan reciever counts as 1 part.  for the remaining 2-3 parts you can go with a US gas piston, buttstock, pistol grip, handquards, barrel, lower reciever, or operating handle..take your pick.  FYI some of the parts that DON'T COUNT are the upper reciever cover, sights, safety or any of the other controls (except for HTS).

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Curt,
Yes thank you that really does help.
So far Ken over at Globelmilitarysurply.com is doing a G1 Kit for me, with barrel cut to 16" and gas port opened up properly. Also he is refinishing a complete Wood set for the gun and is refinishing the kit.
Ernie over at Gilberts ordered a receiver for me, not sure if Imbel or Coonan 'casue Fac was out of one kind and I just told him to go ahead and get whichever was available. This cost more than expected though so I only ordered one. Waiting to see what the total $$ winds up being on it. Receiver about 3 weeks out.
Still waiting on my other G1 kit, nothing yet.
Hoping someone takes me up on my trade for my Whisper, that would definately speed things along.
Hope to meet you soon Curt.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:55:41 AM EDT
[#29]
whisper, good it sounds like you got someone that knows the gas system for 16inchers.

Be aware that the imbel reciever is not a US part, although its a very good reciever, so you'll need to add another US part to that list if you get the imbel vs. the coonan.  Also you might want to be careful about telling ernine to get what is available.  There are a number of recievers in the FAC catalog that don't have a manufacturers name attributed to them and are substantially cheaper than the proven imbel and coonan recvrs.  I don't know who makes them or whether they're any good but there may be a Hesse hiding in the woodpile.

any way i found a complete list of FAL parts from Gunplumber's book.  Note that you can't have more than 10 foriegn parts:
(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Muzzle attachment
(4) Bolt
(5) Bolt carrier
(6) Gas piston
(7) Trigger housings (lower receiver)
(8) Operating rod [sic](this is the charging handle)
(9) Trigger
(10) Hammer
(11) Sear
(12) Buttstock
(13) Pistol grip
(14) Handguards
(15) Magazine body
(16) Magazine Follower
(17) Magazine Floorplate

look forward to meeting you as well.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Thank you for taking the time to type that up!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#31]
I just picked up my receivers on Wednesday.  I got one Imbel and 2 Coonans.  All are nice.  The Coonan looks a little nicer beause it is a type 1 but the parkerizing is a bit thin.  It is investment case.  The Imbel is a type 3 which means it ain't as pretty but it is forged and the finish is much better.  

If you are trying to match the upper and lower receiver types you'll need a type 1 for the G1.  I really don't think this is an issue though.  I attached the Imbel to a type 3 lower and it looked fine.  In fact, the finish matched Ken's parkerizing almost perfectly.

It looks like FAC may have the Coonan's in soon.  He is listing them as out of stock but is shipping backorders now.  They are the carry handle cut ones.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#32]
1 kit just arrived. Will start figuring out what else I need soon. Thank you guys for all the input. This is much more fun than just buying a gun ready. Probably costing me more but I figure this way I'll know the rifle inside and out and I can make it look and do exactly what I want!

Hee hee looking for a 3rd kit now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Hi guys...figured I'd jump in here.  The easiest parts for compliance are:
DSA Gas Piston,
DSA or Tapco US made grip and buttstock
FSE hammer trigger sear
Entreprise muzzle brake
That makes the 7 parts you need...

The guy you mentioned from FAL files is local to me, he "helped me" with one of my builds.  (I'll explain what that means if I ever see you guys in person...suffice it to say, I couldn't have done it without him).  He is a super nice guy who gives a lot of his time to people.  Although building an FAL isn't rocket science, you need a few things:
A BIG ASS vise
A GOOD quality receiver wrench...
a working knowledge of headspacing a FAL...setback/locking shoulder, and where you need to be.  

You will almost always have to order the right locking shoulder, unless you go to church regularly hehehe.  This usually puts the whole project on hold 'til the right one gets here, and you won't know what size you need 'til you try and headspace it with the original one.  

Also, for anyone building an inch gun, you will probably need a new breaching washer, although it's easier to get lucky with the one that comes with the kit.  

Timing the barrel is probably the easiest to do, but you need a very strong vice.  Gary used a 4 foot steel tube slid over the top of his 2' long breaker bar to turn the receiver wrench....and it took some effort at that.  Too small a vise will most likely break under the strain.  Also, he has a special tool for taking metal off the barrel if need be.   And, the locking shoulders can be a bitch to get in, as you can imagine.  These are all areas that can slow the project down.  

Gary was a whiz at the math for the headspace, plus he's got all the gauges...including the locking shoulder sizing rods...he explained to me how to do it, but I've long since forgotten.  I'm sure he'd refresh my memory, but I think you gotta have the sizing rods to figure out what size locking shoulder you need.  

I've got the GunPlumber FAL video...I've could let one of you guys borrow it...it's worth a watch, just to familiarize yourself with the tasks ahead.  In the meantime, go here:
www.cruffler.com/accessory-review-april-01.html

Also, if you're gonna get Gary to help, you better do it SOON..once baseball season starts, he's tied up on the weekends. Plus, his workroom is kinda tight...don't know that there's room for whole gaggle of FAL builders hehehe.  

I have a Casey Elliot receiver wrench that is sold pending funds...I wish I had seen this thread earlier, you guys could borrow it. Maybe the guy won't mind if we use it first lol.  

Well, good luck...keep me posted as to when all this comes down...I'd like to join in for the festivities.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#34]
John, thank you for all the info.
Reason I never built a Fal before was cause I knew that it was alot of work with some relatively advanced stuff needed, more so than an AR build. Boy am I happy that there are so many experienced hands and minds here to help out!
If it is convenient to everyone, I can set up a large room in my basement specifically for the build. Our home is new and since I have not gotten around to setting up the basement yet specifically for myself, I can dedicate it to the build for several weeks or however long we need to get all these rifles done. My weeknights are shot though cause I work second shift so we need to start some sort of schedule that will work for all, at least most of the time.
Also I am happy to split the cost of any tools needed between myself and anyone else joining us, so that we will definately have the right tools to get the job done.

My stuff is still  a few weeks out. SO unfortunately I can't start on anything yet.
BUT i would be more than happy to start a work area.
Please give me some feedback guys, steve, curt?

This should really be fun. And the rifles will be perfect!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#35]
I spoke to Gary a few weeks ago and found out that he is in fact pretty booked for the summer.  I think Curt has most of the needed tools and has offered to help.  I too would like to hear from him to see if we need anything else.  He's done this before.  

From everything I have heard, once you've done it once, its pretty straight forward.  

My compliance parts will be here this week.  The receivers are here and the kits I will be using will be here shortly as well.  In the next post I'll describe the three projects.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#36]
1.  I have an SAR48 that I have converted into a para with a new barrel and folding stock.  I am taking the old barrel and lower and building an all Imbel kit.  Because the SAR48 was nearly new, the finished project should be about perfect.  I'm retaining the "old" handguards and stock.  It will be built on an Imbel receiver and will have a DSA charging handle, HTS from FSE, Tapco pistol grip and US floorplates (I've got 30 of these).  I'm also going to attach a compliant muzzle device but plan on switching back to the original if the AWB sunsets.

The SAR48 is still with Ken at Globel Surplus getting the barrel swapped out.  

2.  This will be a "light weight" FAL.  I have a DSA aluminum lower on the way, along with a LW charging handle and aluminum T48 trigger guard (the squared off kind).  I have a Tapco forend that weighs almost nothing and have ordered a Penguin economy stock (again for weight).  This will be built on a Coonan with no charging handle.  US part number 6 may be a SAW pistol grip or I may stick with the floor plates or both.

The barrel for this one is a non-bipod cut Imbel barrel from a Dan's kit.  Ken is cutting it to 17" and parkerizing it.  It will have a naked muzzle.

3.  I stumbled onto a trade for an STG58 kit.  I wasn't planning on this one, but I already have a third Coonan receiver and I traded an optic I didn't have use for.  What the heck right?  This one get the HTS from FSE, folding charging handle (already in my inventory) and a Tapco gas piston.  Again, floorplates will round out the compliance parts.  The barrel is already cut to 20.5" with no threads and I'll leave it naked.  At some later date, I'll probably add a free float tube and scope mount and call it a FAL "sniper".

The hard part for me is going to be waiting for the build party.  I obvioulsy have to wait for this to install the barrels on the receivers, but I may start tinkering with the lowers and have that all done weeks ahead of time.

Oh... one last thing.  I'm canabalzing the hell  out of a Dan's grade 3 kit for these and I had to order a bolt, gas piston spring , front sight pin and spring and a few other msc parts from varous sources.  Damn this is fun... and expensive.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I I think Curt has most of the needed tools and has offered to help.  I too would like to hear from him to see if we need anything else.  He's done this before.  

I think we have most of what we need except for a MAPP torch in case anyone is soldering a compliant muzzle device, and a parking setup.  An optional item might be a LS shaving doohickey.  I have no experience with it but believe if you need a "smaller" LS you can shave the current one down.  Not necessary but there is that week of waiting for the correct size LS to come in.  Some other items are an extractor tool from DSA that supposedly makes it easy to remove the ext. for measuring headspace, i've removed ext. from 2 bolts without it..one was easy one was a beyuch but i got em both done.  

I have a set of barrel blocks that worked for my build but they just barely keep the barrel from spinning.  What i plan to do is get a couple of pieces of hardwood and some bolts to sandwich the blocks, the idea is use the bolts to provide the clamping force and put the rig in my BAV to hold it.  

It might be good to bring a 27mm or 1-1/16" open end wrench that you can do without..we can grind it a little and it will fit the barrel flats.

cliffy be aware that the barrel will get marred while barreling, it will be under the handguards.  Parking really isn't a hard thing to do from my readings.  although a stainless tank is good for parking the barrelled action in a pinch it can be done in a plastic wallpaper tank, you just pour the solution over it.  The tough part is that you really want to sandblast everything and park soon after and i don't have a sandblast cabinet (tho i do have a compressor).  AFter we get out rifles running maybe we can have a parking party.

I'm available anytime, got laid off a few months ago.  This is probably a good saturday afternoon depending on the # of folks.  Whisper you and cliffy have my phone no.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Ok guys,
I have no idea where to get the parts we need or what they cost, but like I said I am willing to chip in.
Next, Does anyone have some us compliance parts they are willing to part with?
I ask this before I order anything from Tapco. I would rather give you guys the cash. That way my wife doesn't find out what the hell this is costing me!
SO far 1 coonan receiver a few weeks out from Gilberts.
Also 1 kit a few weeks out at Kens. He is cutting the barrel to 16" and opening gas port for me. No brake for this one, plain id fine for me know.
I am trying to do this on the cheap and can upgrade stuff later, so if anyone can tell me where I can cut some corners I am willing to listen.
I want to remove stub from my second G1 kit and prep it for a later build when I can afford another receiver. Probably will order a DSA medium bull barrel front end for that one also. We'll see. No money left for it now though.
Saturdays are good for me but I beleive Cliffy works. We need to figure something out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Well Nick, the cheap way is the Tapco 6 pack with the Century HTS, Tapco gas piston, charging handle and forend.  The down side is, you'll end up having to replace the HTS at some point.  I like the other parts in this kit, particularly the hand guard.  It is a Zytel version of an STG hand guard and is very light weights while retaining the look and feel of an STG (or G1 for that matter).

For $30 more, you can upgrade to FSE fire control components.  More expensive but worth it in the long run.

Also, I've been PMing Curt and it looks like we are pretty good on tools.  Between the two of us, we've got just about everything.  If you have a hardened flat file for the LS (if needed) and a "bastard file" that will fit the receiver rails that would help but is not required.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Oh, I am sooo dead. OK $200 bucks spent at Tapco should get me 1 rifle US compliant and a spare FSE HTS for the second rifle.
Should be here end of next week.
I am not sure if I have Flat files but I will scrounge, if I have to.
I am shivering at the thought of what my wife will say when she sees the CC bill, but it is well worth the beating if these rifles come out as nice shooters!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:49:02 AM EDT
[#41]
WAIT FOR MEEE!!
i have an imbel kit stashed under my bed and ive refinished most of it.  i just need my upper reciever and my u.s parts only trouble is...  im BROKE!!  i just bought a new 10/22 and $200 worth of parts for it so it will be at least a few months before i can save up ehough dough to finish the fal.  oh well, guess il try and start the next build and you guys will just have to build TWO fals.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
oh well, guess il try and start the next build and you guys will just have to build TWO fals.

Well now that would suck.  I'll still be here when you're ready although hopefully i'll be employed in 2 months with not so much free time.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Well, most of my compliance parts are here now.  I have a problem with one of the HTS sets from FSE but will have that resolved shortly.  My kits should all be here by the week of the 16th.

I am going on vacation starting tomorrow and will not be able to post until the 16th.  When I get back, I'll have my schedule for the next 4 weeks and we can firm things up.  It looks like a Sunday late this month or early next.  I might also be able to do a Saturday evening (I get off at 5:00 once per month).
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#44]
I'd rather do it on a sunday afternoon.  Evening can be a bit of a handfull around here with roundup at the monkeyfarm, baths, dinner, bedtime stories.  Personally i'd prefer to take it easy and not have to hurry.

BTW you guys need to clean your kits as good as you can (a can of carburator cleaner can do wonders) to minimize the mess.  We'll be working in my shop and garage but theres always cosmo hiding in the nooks and crannies.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#45]
No problems with the cleaning.  One of my kits consists of take-offs from my SAR-48, so no cosmo there.  Another is a put-togeather consisting of a DSA lower and an Imbel front end that I sent out to be shortened and refinished.  I'll have to clean up the bolt and carrier but that it for that one.  The last one is an STG kit.  It came totally disassembled with no receiver stub.  Minimal cosmo and I'll take care of that before the build.

Sunday is also my prefrence.  I'll post my available days on the 16th when I get back from Florida.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, I haven't seen a check from the guy who was supposed to buy the wrench...and I can't find his email...maybe I hallucinated the whole thing lol.  Anyway, looks like the receiver wrench will be available if you need it.  

BTW, I'd suggest devoting a full day to this, if you all plan on trying to do more than 2 or so...it will take longer than you think...little things like peening the barrel, or shaving it prior to tightening, can slow the process down.

BTW, Nickel Creek is doing a free concert at the Kennedy Center the last Sun. in June...so most likely I won't be available that day.  Any other Sat/Sun should be good.  

If you need to silver solder a muzzle brake, all you need is a small acetylene torch...I don't think benzene gets hot enough...and the silver solder, of course.  You can pick one up at Lowe's probably...
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#47]
OK... I'm back from vacation.

First, I was over at Gilberts today and saw a Coonan receiver on the counter.  It seems Whisper is now in business!

Next, I got my schedule for the next two months.  I'm hosed for the next few weeks.  The only Sundays I have off are July 6 and the 20th.  I hate to put the others off that long but unless y'all can work out a Thursday, that's all I can do.  

Finally, most of my compliance parts are now here and the rest of my kits will be complete later this week.  Ken at Globel is sending my new and imporved para back so I'll be able to canabalize the parts I need for the Imbel build.

Let me know if the 6th works for anybody else.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Welcome back hope you had an awesome time.
Hope that was my receiver, have not heard from them yet, will call first thing in the morning. Ken said he should be done with my kit soon. Seems like I am good to go for 1 rifle, soon.
July 6th is good for me as of right now.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:38:32 AM EDT
[#49]
The 6th is fine with me, keep in mind that is the sunday after the 4th.  Heck, thursday's are fine with me as well.  One day's pretty much the same as the other for us unemployed, except for the daytime TV lineup of course.  Don't think that that would work for whisper tho'.

I'll be going over to gilberts today to shoot some 9mm.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#50]
July 6th it is!  Man am I ever stoked about this!  Is there anybody else besides the Curt, Whisper and myself that will be there?

I'm going to do an inventory of parts later this week to make sure I have everything I need for this.  One of the builds is pieced together from various sources and that makes me nervous that I will not have everyting.  

That receiver at Gilberts was definately Whisper's so he is good to go.  Did you get the carry handle or not?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top