Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2003 10:29:03 AM EDT
OK, who wants in?  I figure we just meet at one of the ranges and do some shooting.

Any preference on day, range time?

Ross
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to shoot! I'm free 24/7 now (looking for a job/on leave) so timing isn't to much of a problem. Anyone else wanna go blasting?
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm fairly open time wise as well.  I work nights, so I'm not back in town until SAT AM, but there aren't any ranges open at that time anyway.

Our choices on the southside are the Virginia Beach outdoor range, Lynnhaven Indoor, and Bob's indoor.  I'd prefer outdoor, as I want to shoot rifles at a longer range than 25yds.

I don't know of what's on the penninsula.  Anybody else have recommendations?

Ross
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd love to go. I wussed out on Ross last time...hey, it was raining!
I'm headed to Raleigh this weekend...shit. My fiance would bust my balls if I cancelled.

Pony_driver, I send you an IM.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Will need to check stuff out...most weekends I head out to help my mom build her house or I head to MD to blast caps in my old neghborhood. I've only been to Bob's around here and would like to try out my Marlin 25MN (.22MAG) with some different ammo. How much does it cost to shoot at those places? I'd also like to do some baseline research so I can compare this rifle before and after I get a Rifle Basix trigger.
Slacker, bett watch out, busted balls won't be much use to ya! Got the IM thanks...will redo from intel to "solderer"

EDIT: This weekend is a NO GO for me..wife's working all weekend. She normally works Sundays though. I'll have to take a rain check.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Heck you guys grab some handguns and come shoot at blackwater on sun May 4 at the IPSC match we are having. Its a friggen blast.

I swear if you have never been to a match you dont know what your missing.

blackwateripsc.com/frames.html

We have 3 gun match a couple time ayear and one should be coming up in the next couple of months. It would be good pratice for the 3 gun to come to a pistol match a couple times first so there are not so many new stuff to handle all at once.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in!  I was over at the Lynnhaven range last night with my preban Colt and put 80 rounds down range before the j-pin broke.  However, my postban is ready to go at a moments notice.  When are you thinking of going?

Marc
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in. Let me know date, time and place.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I figure on going to the Virginia Beach Outdoor Range on Sat at Noon.  I'll be pretty easy to recognize, as I'll have a Bushmaster Bullpup.  It's starting to jam and I need to diagnose the problem.  I'll also have something else to play with so I don't get too discouraged with the Bullpup.

My theory is the mag well is too loose, allowing the mag to wobble fore and aft, resulting in spotty feeding.  I need to figure it out, so the range is the best place to try.

Weather is supposed to shower in the AM, but it should be OK in the PM.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Ross,

Sounds good, I'll see you there.  I'm a little guy with a shaved head and tattoos.  I'll have a M4 even though I haven't decided on which to bring, my postban or preban.  A shooting buddy is coming along too with his CAR15.

See you then!
Marc
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Good deal.  I'll be there rain or shine.  Bushmaster bullpup and I'm not sure what else.  Maybe something in a .30 caliber...hmmm, decisions, decisions.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#11]
How'd it go?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:01:59 AM EDT
[#12]
The weather turned out pretty good.  It wasn't raining, though it was a bit windy and cool.  Enough for a jacket and you would be good-to-go.  Met M4arc, which was a pleasure, and we'll probably be doing more shooting soon in the future.  

My Bushmaster bullpup worked for a while, and I was worried that I couldn't get it to jam.  The whole point was to duplicate the problem to diagnose it.  After a hundred rounds or so, the thing started tying up.  Sure enough, looks like the magazine isn't locating itself correctly.  There's WAY too much play fore and aft.  I put a couple layers of electrical tape on the magazine that was most probelmatic and the thing ran great after that.  I then put some tape in the mag well and tried all the other mags that had not fed well, and they all worked fine as well.  Other mags, not so loose, work 100% in the Bushmaster.  Apparently the gun just has a loose mag well, or when it gets hot, the metal upper expands just enough to create enough clearance to cause the problem.  The lower is of course plastic, so heat doesn't effect it the same.  I'll probably build-up the mag well inside front with some epoxy.  It only took two layers of tape to actually get everything to work right, so I may just have to go through all my mags to find ones that will work with the Bullpup with no mods.  For now the electrical tape works.  

Since there's only so many places to shoot in the area, we should start some regular shoots, like once a month.  Either friendly competition, or just blasting.  Most of us have more than one type of firearm, and those that don't are more than welcome to borrow from me (and no doubt others) if we go with a ".22 day" or "bolt action day" or "battle rifle day", you get the idea.  

We could rotate locations around to make it easier for folks on the penninsula.  One month south-side, next penninsula, etc.  Anyone know of ranges on the penninsula?  

Most folks work during the week, so it'd be a weekend deal. Any thoughts?

Ross
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:15:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like ya'll had fun! Glad to hear you figured out the prob with the BP. I think the area shoots would be awesome, just need to rigure out who all is in the area! LOL I hardly ever checked the Hometown forums till a while back, I bet most people don't either. I don't have much of a collection yet, but anyone welcome to blast with what I have. As far as ranges go I'm at a loss. I've only shot at Bob's in Norfolk, and the Superior Pawn on Little Creek Rd. I usually go out to my moms to shoot since she has 40 acres. We'll get something together and blast.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
... we should start some regular shoots, like once a month.  Either friendly competition, or just blasting.  

VA DCC!  I miss this.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:14:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Ross,

Thank you sir!  I had a lot of fun and got my  Colt 6400 sited in too.  Thank you for letting me shoot your Bullpup.  I'd love to try to get a regular shoot going and meet more local ar15.com members.

Marc
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#16]
The only places I know of on the peninsula to shoot are indoor ranges, so your limited to handgun calibers. I'm near the peninsula and still drive down to VA beach outdoor to shoot. It's a little over an hour, but it's worth the drive so I can shoot rifles. I've been busy latley or I probally would have showed up for your shoot. Mabye next time i'll make it. My 'other' moved out yesterday so I have more freetime now and no one to bitch if I disapear for a saturday to go shooting. I work afternoon, so even a morning/very-early-afternoon shoot on a weekday would probally work for me. Last summer I used to go down to VA beach during the week alot, I like the weekdays there, usually only one or two older guys not shooting much so you can ask to get the range cold to swap/check your targets anytime you want.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd be interested in going shooting with you guys.  I live on the Peninsula across from Oyster Point Industrial Park.  The only outdoor range around here is Lafayette Gun Club in Grafton in York Co.  They have skeet, trap, 25/50/100yd outdoor rifle/handgun ranges and an indoor 18yd handgun range.  I'm a member and I head up there fairly often on the weekends.  I can bring two guests with me per visit, so if anyone is interested send me an IM or an email.

Either way, please keep us all posted on what the plans are for the next shoot.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Chuckhammer is right about Lafayette Gun Club guys. Membership is about $125 the first year and $100 per year thereafter. It's 45 minutes from my home in Portsmouth near the Bide-a-Wee Golf course and may be the best Indoor/Outdoor range in Tidewater!The inside range is open 24 hours a day and is member operated.There must be a rangemaster present at the outdoor range and it is open 7 days a week daylight hours only. No charge for guests.They have an annual pig picking barbecue that is free to members and their family and that includes soft drinks and beer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:59:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Chuckhammer is right about Lafayette Gun Club guys. Membership is about $125 the first year and $100 per year thereafter. It's 45 minutes from my home in Portsmouth near the Bide-a-Wee Golf course and may be the best Indoor/Outdoor range in Tidewater!The inside range is open 24 hours a day and is member operated.There must be a rangemaster present at the outdoor range and it is open 7 days a week daylight hours only. No charge for guests.They have an annual pig picking barbecue that is free to members and their family and that includes soft drinks and beer.

Well damn, I didn't know about the BBQ.  When is it?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#20]
The Barbecue is in the fall, keep an eye on the newsletter. Have you checked out their website?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:53:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The Barbecue is in the fall, keep an eye on the newsletter. Have you checked out their website?

Yes.  I'll look to see if it mentions the BBQ date.  Here's a question for you:  Does LGC allow FA weapons?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Chuckhammer, That's an easy one. I'm a member of 2 local clubs and neither one of them allow f/a guns.I think their afraid you'll shoot the backstop out or lose control and shoot the place up. Someone said that the old A&P Range at Creed's allows f/a guns. I haven't been out there in years. I think it's called Superior Pawn and Gun now.That Range is about 1 hour from me, which is 5 or 10 minutes further than Lafaytte.I'd still like to get out there to find out about the f/a rules.The bad thing about a range is f/a fire is not much fun if paper targets is all you have to shoot at.Private property with the landowner present and participating is the best way to go.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:07:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Lynnhaven outdoor allows class 3, that or the guy next to me had a BAD doubling problem.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:37:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the responses, gents.  Unfortunately, I don't have to worry about it just yet.  I was curious for possible future FA purchases.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Full auto purchases are impossible in Portsmouth since the police chief who just left and his temporary replacement wouldn't make the leo sign off on the form.The sheriff and the comm. att. wouldn't sign either.They won't turn you down,they just ignore you.If you sue to make them do their job and sign, then you get on the Sh*t list, win or lose. And I have no intention of moving to another city. If you have a f/a you better hang on to it!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Portsmouth huh? I've heard that there are "nice" areas in Portsmouth but most of the ones I've seen were absofuckinlutely ghetto. I mean like shit you see on "COPS" /inner city ghetto. Oh well, too bad they won't sign offthough...what a bunch of fuckers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:33:18 AM EDT
[#27]
pony driver.
It sounds like you've been hanging out in the rough part of the City. People do come here from all over the Hampton Roads cities and visit the low rent/no rent areas to buy drugs and get shot...be careful out there.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
pony driver.
It sounds like you've been hanging out in the rough part of the City. People do come here from all over the Hampton Roads cities and visit the low rent/no rent areas to buy drugs and get shot...be careful out there.

A very good friend of mine grew up in Portsmouth.  We give him alot of crap about "P-Town" and the ghetto mess it seems to represent these days.  It's really a shame since that city is quite historical.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Yep I used to take the downtown tunnel to get to 264. If you cut across High St and take the back way it's pretty fckin ghetto. I've (luckily) not had a problem, hell I had a 30/30 in my gunrack once when I drove through there. My son was born in Portsmouth Naval Hospital..the area right around ther sucks too...excepts for "Old Towne". I've taken to using the Midtown tunnel.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#30]
IDPA shoots at Norfolk County twice monthly.

I'm down for shooting around here...

Course my latest purchase will be of limited utility, since my home club doesn't allow full auto and nobody else seems to either... (the outdoor range changes rules every month it seems..) Course, my suppressors are fine. ;)

Selling Class 3 stuff in Hampton Roads is tough... VB signs, Chesapeake might, Norfolk and P-Town yeah right, Suffolk - only if you have an in.. Don't know about the Peninsula yet..

TR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top