Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2022 7:40:33 PM EDT
Anyone live in the city? How bad does it suck, looks like I am moving again.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#1]
"the city" is a rather diverse location ...
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Noted.

I’ve been there a few times the past couple of months, no issues.

Any particular places to avoid? We will be in the South Loop.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Noted.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted.

As in - you will relocate to the South Loop for residence?
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct, we signed the lease.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then your inquiry is a little late. Not trying to be an ass - just saying.

I suggest you add to your thread title something like "South Loop what should a new resident know" so people who know can help
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m by Old Comiskey so hot to far from the south loop.

Crime , knucklehead’ery is rampant seems all over Chicago land & surrounding burbs. I work Trauma / OR @ UofC in the south side & see what bad people do to people but more so I see what bad people do to other bad people.

Good luck , great Mexican food city if you like that , if you can avoid public transportation , it’s not what city ( liars ) leaders make it out to be. It isn’t safe ( my opinion )

Have any questions , you can always IM.

Pep
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I’m by Old Comiskey so hot to far from the south loop.

Crime , knucklehead’ery is rampant seems all over Chicago land & surrounding burbs. I work Trauma / OR @ UofC in the south side & see what bad people do to people but more so I see what bad people do to other bad people.

Good luck , great Mexican food city if you like that , if you can avoid public transportation , it’s not what city ( liars ) leaders make it out to be. It isn’t safe ( my opinion )

Have any questions , you can always IM.

Pep
View Quote

Thank you. It will be a few more weeks until we can get there, still tying up loose ends in Georgia and here locally in Kentucky.

We were in the city 2 weeks ago and decided on a condo in what we think is a solid area, and have some friends about 8 blocks away...they've been there since the 1990's.

Once we are settled, I am selling my truck because an additional parking spot is $250 in our building, and we might trade in the car on something with all-wheel drive. We plan to avoid public transportation at all costs, an use an Uber or just walk where we need to go. Soldier Field is relatively close.

As far as food goes, we are open to suggestions. Ate at Smith & Wollensky last time we were there and a few other random spots.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless you can afford double the cost of one parking spot, don't own a car in the city. No one told me that before I tried it :(

My cousin is ~35 and never owned one. Zipcar I think. We did the math one time on my suburban car costs and even his higher city costs for just life were less.

Uber for work and play. Zipcar for major needs (buying nig stuff from Target, etc.)
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Unless you can afford double the cost of one parking spot, don't own a car in the city. No one told me that before I tried it :(

My cousin is ~35 and never owned one. Zipcar I think. We did the math one time on my suburban car costs and even his higher city costs for just life were less.

Uber for work and play. Zipcar for major needs (buying nig stuff from Target, etc.)
View Quote

Yea, the condo comes with 1 spot and it doesn’t make sense to have 2 cars in the city. Pretty sure my building has Zipcar also.

I do plan to buy a bike when I get settled in, so I’ve been researching those as well.

What is the best Mexican restaurant in the city?
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yea, the condo comes with 1 spot and it doesn’t make sense to have 2 cars in the city. Pretty sure my building has Zipcar also.

I do plan to buy a bike when I get settled in, so I’ve been researching those as well.

What is the best Mexican restaurant in the city?
View Quote

Cool.

The best mexican restaurant? This answer is like most things in the city - the closest :) Of course with Mexican food the caveat is  'that doesn't give your GI any trouble'
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cool.

The best mexican restaurant? This answer is like most things in the city - the closest :) Of course with Mexican food the caveat is  'that doesn't give your GI any trouble'
View Quote

I’m not a member of the “tender tummy brigade” like most on this site. And prefer real taquerias, not white people tacos.

But you’re right, whatever is closest. We went to Chinatown a few weeks ago and that’s a great spot for food.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Firstly, congrats on the move - South Loop is a great choice! You're walking distance from some world class museums and some great parks.

City of Chicago is also great in terms of grocery stores. Jewel Osco (part of Albertsons) or Mariano's (same parent as Kroger, more upscale than Jewel, but not as upscale as Whole Foods) might be walking distance from your residence. Unfortunately gas prices are insane in the city. But, if you're a member, Costco gas prices are much lower and are very close to suburbs pricing.

My only gripe about South Loop is that it kind of dies down in the evenings and weekends. Not quite like regular loop, but not as lively as Lakeview, Lincoln Park, etc. That it this might be to your liking, depending on where you are coming from. The good news is that you picked a good neighborhood, and you can always use this first lease as time to explore other areas should you be in Chicago for a longer period of time.

A food recommendation: Close to China Town is a place called Ricobenes. Their breaded steak sandwich is one of my favorite sandwiches in all of the USA - highly recommended.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Firstly, congrats on the move - South Loop is a great choice! You're walking distance from some world class museums and some great parks.

City of Chicago is also great in terms of grocery stores. Jewel Osco (part of Albertsons) or Mariano's (same parent as Kroger, more upscale than Jewel, but not as upscale as Whole Foods) might be walking distance from your residence. Unfortunately gas prices are insane in the city. But, if you're a member, Costco gas prices are much lower and are very close to suburbs pricing.

My only gripe about South Loop is that it kind of dies down in the evenings and weekends. Not quite like regular loop, but not as lively as Lakeview, Lincoln Park, etc. That it this might be to your liking, depending on where you are coming from. The good news is that you picked a good neighborhood, and you can always use this first lease as time to explore other areas should you be in Chicago for a longer period of time.

A food recommendation: Close to China Town is a place called Ricobenes. Their breaded steak sandwich is one of my favorite sandwiches in all of the USA - highly recommended.
View Quote

Thanks man, we come from Atlanta and Cincy.

The condo is definitely within walking distance of Target, Mariano's and others. We sort of got lucky when searching for places online and found this spot by accident.

We don't really care about night life stuff, but the parks and museums are our thing for sure. Luckily, we have friends in the area and my GFs parents live in the suburbs and have for decades.

I'll check out Ricobenes in a few weeks when I am back up there!

What is the best Tavern Style Pizza in the city? I've been to Giordano's and Lou Mainati's but really don't care for Deep Dish style.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Why go grocery shopping when you can get it delivered? Amazon Fresh is awesome if they serve the area.

Ricobene’s is awesome. If you want to see a cool little museum, check out the Chicago Maritime Museum in Bridgeport.

WHY did you get a place in the city?

A friend of mine got a condo in the south loop and keeps trying to get me to come over. I live in the NW burbs. I told him I don’t go into Chicago anymore and I had told him when he was looking for the place to never expect me to visit.

Buses are going to be safer than the L.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why go grocery shopping when you can get it delivered? Amazon Fresh is awesome if they serve the area.

Ricobene’s is awesome. If you want to see a cool little museum, check out the Chicago Maritime Museum in Bridgeport.

WHY did you get a place in the city?

A friend of mine got a condo in the south loop and keeps trying to get me to come over. I live in the NW burbs. I told him I don’t go into Chicago anymore and I had told him when he was looking for the place to never expect me to visit.

Buses are going to be safer than the L.
View Quote

Why? I guess we are a little crazy. The truth is, my GF is from Chicago and always wanted to go "home" and now is a good time while we can reasonably afford it and are still "young." She will still have to fly out of the airport for work occasionally, but it's not different than Cincy or Atlanta. Hell, I feel safer walking around Chicago than I do in Atlanta.

We will try out the city for a year, if we like it, we will buy a place, if not we're leaving for good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Little crazy? You’re batshit crazy. I lived in Shitcago from 1996-98 and then 2000-2008. Mostly on the NW side but I was in Lincoln Park from 2000-2003. I got out in 2008.

Anyone who deliberately moves into Chicago with the way things are now - you’re insane.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Little crazy? You’re batshit crazy. I lived in Shitcago from 1996-98 and then 2000-2008. Mostly on the NW side but I was in Lincoln Park from 2000-2003. I got out in 2008.

Anyone who deliberately moves into Chicago with the way things are now - you’re insane.
View Quote

I get where you're coming from, I do. But Atlanta is far worse.

I am willing to give it a year, if it sucks, I'm out of there and moving to Florida or Texas.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#18]
howdy again,

Mexican food ( good Mexican ) will be plenty in the Pilsen neighborhood not too far from south loop.

Pork ( carnitas ) , Don Pedro & Uruapan
chicken , Pollo express
tacos , Mexican home type food , Milagro & Casa Del Pueblo

Milagro will be a place I'm sure you will enjoy , the other joints aswell.
pizza joints. I don't dig chicago Deep dish stuff so I frequent these below ,

- Pequod's ( north west of south loop )
- Phils ( Bridgeport neighborhood ) bias cause its close to me MAYBE......

Link Posted: 7/24/2022 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#19]
For tavern style pizza, I like Rosati's, especially the Fab-4 (onion mushroom sausage green peppers). Gino's East thin crust / tavern style is also very good and underrated.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
howdy again,

Mexican food ( good Mexican ) will be plenty in the Pilsen neighborhood not too far from south loop.

Pork ( carnitas ) , Don Pedro & Uruapan
chicken , Pollo express
tacos , Mexican home type food , Milagro & Casa Del Pueblo

Milagro will be a place I'm sure you will enjoy , the other joints aswell.
pizza joints. I don't dig chicago Deep dish stuff so I frequent these below ,

- Pequod's ( north west of south loop )
- Phils ( Bridgeport neighborhood ) bias cause its close to me MAYBE......

View Quote

This is the intel I need!

Thanks, looks like you’re relatively close and to the south.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Move away from there and commute
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Move away from there and commute
View Quote

Thank you so much for your help, I love you!
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:32:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thank you so much for your help, I love you!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I sure hope your making a shitvton of money bro..I mean ..damn
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I sure hope your making a shitvton of money bro..I mean ..damn
View Quote

We do ok.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top