Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2022 10:43:21 PM EDT
I am deliberating joining. The expenses are definitely up there, and the idea of having to volunteer is not great either, but they apparently are the only game in town for anything over 100 yards. Buffalo rock is a nice place to go, but this bird has to spread its wings.

Unless anyone is aware of longer distance public ranges close to the chicago suburbs (Im in dupage county).

Cheers
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I am aware of them. I applied and went through the process got accepted and thought I was headed to Florida for residency. I liked the people there and shot one time as a guest.  I thought for sure i was moving to Florida so i declined.  I live in boone county a bit of a drive.

ETA
That was several years ago and here I am.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am aware of them. I applied and went through the process got accepted and thought I was headed to Florida for residency. I liked the people there and shot one time as a guest.  I thought for sure i was moving to Florida so i declined.  I live in boone county a bit of a drive.

ETA
That was several years ago and here I am.
View Quote

Is the process tedious, or straight forward. I think their next orientation is in July so if i were to do it I think i would have to do it ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Straight forward. Good guys, I think the part I didn't understand was voting members vote to pay $15.00 extra month. That was the question I had but didn't ask as I had thought I would be in FL and let my invite expire.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Straight forward. Good guys, I think the part I didn't understand was voting members vote to pay $15.00 extra month. That was the question I had but didn't ask as I had thought I would be in FL and let my invite expire.
View Quote

I just submitted an application. The novel length email i got explaining all of the hoops I have to jump through to get a membership there is honestly turning me off to the idea. I’ll wait till I get home and re-read everything.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you made a decision?
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#6]
This probably won't work for the OP, but I'm a member of the Racine County Line Rifle Club in WI and it is an excellent range, that includes 500 and 600 yard ranges. It is 65 miles/1:20 minutes from Barrington. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to take someone there as a guest. I have so much time off at work that I do tend to go on weekdays, to avoid the crowds, but I can do a weekend day, if need be.

I have 6 steel targets, so I can set up a decent course of fire, especially on the 270 degree range that is huge, so we can set up a nice run and gun set up.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I was a member.   Good club but I couldn't justify $550  a year plus joining costs when I had to drive that far to get practice in or sight in.  Not practical unless you go 20 or 30 times a year when you factor gas in.  

As an aside,  I used to belong to another club in another state.   They had the same facilities.   They charged $150 a year.  They had 10,000 members and I always found a bench or booth to use.  Always was able to get in a competition or league.  

Aurora SC just hasn't found the sweet spot IMO.

Also would not join isra.  They outsourced membership processing and I don't feel like getting doxxed when a mole releases the info.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 2:24:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I know some members of ASC, and from what they say, there area lot of short range bays,    one long range, $460 a year, and 5 work hours (or you can buy those off for $50).

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know some members of ASC, and from what they say, there area lot of short range bays,    one long range, $460 a year, and 5 work hours (or you can buy those off for $50).

View Quote

I have been a member since they were in Sugar Grove.

Currently there are three 50ft bays, three 25 yard bays, a 50 yard bay, two 100 yard bays, a 200 yard bay, and a 600 yard bay. There will be three more 25 yard bays within the next few months.

There are also numerous 25 yard bays on the east side of the berms reserved for special events.

Also there are trap, five stand, sporting clays, and archery ranges.

ETA- The buyoff for work hours has doubled to 20 bucks an hour.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Been a member for about 10 years. Great facility but you certainly pay for it. Definitely not worth the money unless you're shooting pretty often. Lots of improvements on the property the last few years with more in the works.

Joining was pain free and simple when I did it, but that was a while back. I've heard stories about drama with the board and such, but frankly, I just pay my dues and go shoot.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Joining was pain free and simple when I did it, but that was a while back. I've heard stories about drama with the board and such, but frankly, I just pay my dues and go shoot.
View Quote

I think that's the status quo for most member ranges.  Same shit, different range.  This said with being a member at four clubs over the years.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I did not realize this thread was getting attention. I elected to submit and application with the ISRA range down in Kankakee. Waiting to hear back from them. It was less expensive, less trouble, and about the same distance from me. Waiting to hear back from them.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I was just there on Monday as guest with my buddy , it's really nice. 4 people there total I think but it was a Monday & weather seemed shitty but it cleared up & we had a blast ( literaly )

To steep for my wallet , really nice though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I did not realize this thread was getting attention. I elected to submit and application with the ISRA range down in Kankakee. Waiting to hear back from them. It was less expensive, less trouble, and about the same distance from me. Waiting to hear back from them.
View Quote

I'm a member at ISRA range. It's a great facility.

ASC has a 600 (I think) yard range. ISRA tops out at 300.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm a member at ISRA range. It's a great facility.

ASC has a 600 (I think) yard range. ISRA tops out at 300.
View Quote

Yes to bold part.

Former member and active volunteer (helping with monthly Practical Rifle stuff). Then kids and no time due to proximity so did not renew. I paid some fee to remain on the 'inactive member' list which should make it easier/cheaper to get back in -- but who knows if that is still a thing.

If you have the money, and either live close or have time to drive then IMO is unmatched facility. I was a guest last month to use trap course and it was cool to see improvements since 10 years ago. Ignore the BS and just use the facility.

Regarding 'haven't found their niche' - yeah, it's a unique value proposition for sure. It is WAY better than a public range where a banger might end you, but the cost is prohibitive for someone who shoots only monthly. Although, if you go to a public range monthly you likely spend $40-50 minimum (@ $20/hr) so the annual cost is not out of line. But proximity sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top