Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2022 11:07:20 PM EDT
Thinking about stopping in Chicago for a night as part of a larger road trip with the kids.  Basic just going to the Field Museum, Navy Pier and getting some local cuisine.

Is it worth it to stop there with kids?  Will we all get shot?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 2:07:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Unlikely.

Chicago is a place where you find your destination, search for the closest possible X (lodging, restaurant, etc.) and as long as it is safe you just pay.

For example, you can find X within walking distance of your destination or a 30min drive away for half the cost - choose the closer option. There are taxis for rainy / scary days.

After you know your itinerary, circle back for advice on safety.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The Shedd aquarium is very nice also for kids and the sky deck at Willis tower is also a decent stop.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Shedd aquarium is very nice also for kids and the sky deck at Willis tower is also a decent stop.
View Quote

@OP - do you want ideas for activities, or just advice on safety?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I wish I could say you should but even downtown has been crazy lately.  There are a lot of good places to eat near the airport in Rosemont, lots of places that are offshoots of downtown restaurants but I don't know how much you'd want to bring kids to an upscale steak house.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:35:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Being a city kid my whole life, not a suburbanite.... I don't really see the point of going downtown anymore. It gets weird when the sun goes down.

Museums during the day are fine

The big food staples (Pizza, hot dogs, Portillos) have locations everywhere to include city and suburbs. You don't have to be in downtown proper for "Chicago food"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top