Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2022 12:33:13 AM EDT
In a nutshell, all NIQS failures will need to be investigated by the Federales and also grants them the ability to deputize local LE to help accomplish it.

First off, just in a vacuum, it is a terrible overreach that should never be buried in a spending bill in the first place and given the overall terrible-ness of NIQS will be plagued by problems and abuse.

However, I have always heard that we in Illinois have a somewhat unique situation in that we FOID holders get run nightly through NIQS which is somewhat supported whenever I see monthly NIQS statistics and Illinois will always be head and shoulders over everyone else, so the implications for us may be seemingly even worse.

Here are a few scenarios that I came up with I could see happening:
- You could not even own a gun, or have attempted to have purchased one for years but you have a FOID card for one reason or other and suddenly find yourself the subject of a federal investigation because for whatever reason that night your name came back denied.
- Perhaps you do own guns or even were trying to buy a gun and are waiting for the waiting period to clear, you might well find yourself sitting at home at the wrong end of a swat team because NIQS sucks so bad that they flagged you as a violent criminal because someone else with a similar/same name in Albuquerque robbed a bank AND they know you actually do have guns. Maybe they even make sure to find a few felonies to charge you with to try to save face and make their little outing look legit (providing you survived in the first place).

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2022/03/gun-control-buried-in-2700-page-spending-bill-passed-by-the-house/

(Yes I know it includes language about a person actually seeking to acquire a firearm but I honestly don't expect them to make that distinction just for Illinois and the obvious end goal is actual arrests/enforcement)

“…report to the local law enforcement authority of the State or Tribe where the person sought to acquire the firearm and, if different, the local law enforcement authorities of the State or Tribe of residence of the person— (A) that the notice was provided; (B) the Federal, State, local or Tribal prohibition; (C) the date and time the notice was provided; (D) the location of the licensee where the firearm was sought to be transferred; and (E) the identity of the person; and where practicable, report the incident to State and local prosecutors or Tribal prosecutors in the jurisdiction where the firearm transfer was sought,” the bill states.

It also changes the definition of “local law enforcement authority” to include “a bureau, office, department or other authority of a State or local government or Tribe that has jurisdiction to investigate a violation or potential violation of, or enforce, a State, local, or Tribal law.’’

The report must be made within 24 hours of the denial.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#1]
We will see if Sanctuary counties mean anything.  This will swamp the feds, and basically millions will be unable to buy guns.  Who would have seen this coming?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top