Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2022 3:40:43 PM EDT
My girlfriend got an invoice through the mail from Illinois Tollway.

It includes a pic of her license plate.

On the back, it lists the 4 tolls she missed:

Attachment Attached File

She had been in the Chicago area around that time.

She had missed her exit at Bloomington.  She was on her way to Wisconsin and meant to go from I-55 to I-39 .

She ended up still traveling northeast up I-55 to Chicago.

Is this legit?

Or is this a scam?

What happens if you don’t pay it?

Does it go to collections?

Is it a ding on your credit rating?

Do they swear out arrest warrants?

TIA

Link Posted: 3/6/2022 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know how all that works but I bet she doesn't miss her exit next time.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah.

She is extremely tight with money.  She’s driving a 2006 Honda Accord.

If she had a more modern car, at least the compass direction would have been shown on the dash or on the big touch screen display.

“Huh!  That’s weird!  It says I am heading northeast….not due north???”

EDIT:  her bill, now, for those tolls is 40 bucks and some change.

Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
They do have the power to initiate proceedings to suspend her license.  I'm guessing what you didn't show in the letter is the info about how to request a hearing.  As for whether it goes to a collection agency or is a ding on her credit, I can't say.

If you go to this page: https://www.illinoistollway.com/violations

you should be able to go to the "pay violation" page and at least see if it's a legit violation number.  I assume it is.

If she chooses to ignore it, please let us know what happens, for research purposes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a scam in that the Tollway was supposed to be a 20 year bond payment plan after which it was supposed to become a freeway.

But it's a scam that the state of Illinois runs, so you gotta pay.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Never gotten that, but I don't use the tollway systems that often.  I think you have to miss about four times before they send you a notice.
For future trips, they have a way you can sign up with a credit card, and they automatically charge you when you use the "i-pass" lanes.  You have to put in the license plate # of the vehicle that you are using.  They did this because they are doing away with coin-op baskets, and toll booth operators haven't been there as a whole during the pandemic.
It takes them about 2-3 wks. to charge your credit card & send you an email that they did it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
its deff real. just paid $36 today bc i'm an idiot and didnt update my plate on my ipass account.  you can probably go quite a bit, they'll send a couple more.  if shes tight on money, start saving now and pay when the second notice comes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#7]
its deff real. just paid $36 today bc i'm an idiot and didnt update my plate on my ipass account.  you can probably go quite a bit, they'll send a couple more.  if shes tight on money, start saving now and pay when the second notice comes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#8]
It looks legit to me. When I travelled a lot for work (in a company vehicle) I would blow the tolls, make a note of where and what time/date, and pay it with the corporate card. At that time, you either had the EZ Pass or did what I did. Had a two week window without extra fees....just paid the toll.

I don't think that it would ding credit or end up in collections. It might result in suspension of the ability to renew registration. Not sure on the license portion as was mentioned.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#9]
The wife has to go through this once in a while when she forgets to put her I-Pass in her vehicle.

Pay the tolls.  If your girlfriend does not, the vehicle registration will eventually be suspended along with the driver's license of the registered owner.

If a person has their Illinois driver's license suspended and they move to a state that is a member of the Violator Compact Agreement, the new state of residence will not issue a driver's license.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:40:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Let me rephrase that.

She is frugal with her money.

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah.

She is extremely tight with money.  She’s driving a 2006 Honda Accord.

If she had a more modern car, at least the compass direction would have been shown on the dash or on the big touch screen display.

“Huh!  That’s weird!  It says I am heading northeast….not due north???”

EDIT:  her bill, now, for those tolls is 40 bucks and some change.

View Quote

Uh, does she own a smartphone? Use Google Maps or similar app.

Why didn’t she pay the tolls online when she got home? The signs are all over.

She might be frugal, but she’s unobservant as fuck.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

This response made me laugh out loud.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#13]
That pretty much looks exactly like the one I got.

IME ignoring bills from the .gov eventually costs you way way more than simply paying up.  If she wants to fight it more power to her, but ignoring it is a bad plan.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Received that exact letter when I input the wrong plate "type" into IPass but the correct letters/information.

IL wants their fucking money, you should know this.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to entertain you!

The unobservant GF would have made better use of her $$ if she had paid the tolls online when she got home. Since she didn’t - or perhaps couldn’t be bothered - she’s going to pay more now. Too bad, so sad.  That’s what the iPass transponder is for.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:29:43 AM EDT
[#16]
It's legit and IME they don't go to collections but do continue to accrue interest.

My wife was supposed to add my FIL plate to ipass account so he visits and drives through every toll plaza back and forth from WI. Six months later she asks me why he got a bill for what was by then $700

You should pay it now or as a resident you will not like how it goes
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:22:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
She had missed her exit at Bloomington.  She was on her way to Wisconsin and meant to go from I-55 to I-39 .
View Quote

FYI there is a toll on that route also.  I-39 joins I-90 in Rockford going north and there is a toll plaza in South Beloit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:23:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I asked her about this bill the other day and she replied with “Yep!  Paid it already!"

Thanks for all the advice.

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Just curious, there's plenty of painless exits around and just north of Bloomington.   Why didn't grab one and get back to 39? Add about 5 minutes to the trip
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, it is legit.  My wife got photographed in DC area and had to pay double the local fee.  She got an IPASS as we travel through many states now and these are everywhere.  I don't think you can enter Kentucky from Indiana at Louisville without paying.  There are no toll booths anymore in many places, they just send you the bill.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Pay it . Then get an iPass throw $20 on it and leave it in the car.  Do this with every car . The money on it never expires and will save tons on accidental tolls
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top