Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2022 5:04:53 PM EDT
Hello,

The answer may be posted elsewhere, but I'm in a bit of a time crunch for an answer to a buyer.

Lake County Illinois: Is it legal for a private citizen to own a semi-auto (AR15, etc) ?
Are there any magazine bans there? And, are they able to acquire one privately or must they all go through an FFL in that county?

I'm familiar with most gun laws, but anything in Illinois has me concerned. I tried calling the county sheriffs office. Four transfers later nobody could give me an answer....
Any info is appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The county hasn't banned anything, but some towns ban them, or at least tried.  Deerfield and Highland Park come to mind, but there may be others, and I don't know the legal status of those without doing more googling.  If you can specify the town, it would help.

If you're selling from MI to someone in IL, any firearm will need to go through an FFL here in the state.  There's not a common border (guess that big lake doesn't count).

Good summary here (not official, and I'm not affiliated with it): https://www.alphakoncepts.com/blog/can-an-illinois-resident-buy-a-gun-in-another-state/

Edit to add:  Magazines don't need to go through the FFL, but any local ordinance might prohibit them as well.  

Also, IL has the FOID card system, so there's a portal for people conducting private transactions to check someone's FOID status, but I don't know if out-of-state sellers are obligated to check it.  You're also supposed to honor IL's 72-hour waiting period for all firearms.

Someone please correct any of that if I'm wrong!
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#2]
You'd need to look up the specific municipality if the buyer is in an incorporated area.  By law they are supposed to submit their ordinances to the ISP:

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/MunicipalOrdinances.aspx

There are probably a couple municipal EBR and/or mag cap limits up that way.  

Not Lake County as a whole AFAIK.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 1:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Update:

Thank you all for the information. I truly appreciate the detailed input.
To be safe and squeaky clean I told my buyer that I'd like to ship it direct from my FFL to his, especially with the questions of IL state. It was at that exact moment he went dark. This was after price was agreed upon and all other details squared away.
One of two things I assume: He had something to hide, or it was a buy-bust. I'm glad I don't know the outcome of that one. It always pays to CYA and ask a few questions of those in the know.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#5]
The firearm would have to be shipped to a FFL inside Illinois from an out of state seller regardless of what the buyer told you.

It sounds like you made a wise decision.  If anyone who does not hold a FFL asks you to ship a firearm directly to them inside Illinois, don't do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top