Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2021 9:10:44 PM EDT
I'm at the beginning of researching this, and it's not looking good. I'm nervous that without Illinois paperwork I may not even be allowed to transport them from the estate to an FFL to transfer/ship them to me? Driving them back isn't an option.. I just don't have the time to be on the road for that long so need to fly in, handle the business then fly back.

General guidance from those familiar with this scenario and local laws is appreciated, of course I will conduct due diligence and speak to some FFLs in the area... if they exist in Chicago heh. If it matters it's rifle, a shotgun and several handguns. Thanks

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
IANAL

Any older than 50 yrs? If yes, I know a guy with an 03 FFL who might physically transport for you from estste to local FFL of choice?

If not C&R stuff, contact a locsl FFL and ask them how to do it. If you don't like the answers, post back here and ask for local FFL referrals.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I don’t know about the age or much of anything beyond what I described. It’s an independent executor that knows nothing about them other than I’m named in the will and to come get them heh. So I will assume I need to use a regular FFL. And yea I will make some calls in the morning to area FFLs
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask the executor to drop them off at the ffl.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#4]
The executor would have to keep a list of the firearms, Models, Serial Numbers, Descriptions, that were transferred intestate for a period of 10 years to satisfy Illinois law.

Federal law would apply to the lawful transfer of firearms from the executor located in Illinois to a Florida resident.  

I would call one of the ATF offices located in Illinois and get clarification from them.  If you ask an Illinois FFL, refer them to 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(5)(A).  Reference to the statute is located at https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0813-firearms-top-12-qaspdf/download
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 4:44:02 AM EDT
[#5]
To comply with IL law you need to keep the guns unloaded and in some type of case while you are transporting them.  You can ship them yourself to your home in florida with UPS, fedex, or long guns only with USPS.

Link Posted: 12/11/2021 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Where in Chicago? City proper or surrounding burbs? I have a great FFL that would most likely ship them.

As an out of state resident you do not need a FOID card. But anyone who does cound simply box them up and ship to an ffl of your choice. If relatively close I wouldn't have a problem doing it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a shame OP. In a sane world I would pick them up and drive them to you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Road trip!
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm with not so clever.   If you are a family member, the question is who has possession and was each item referenced in the will.  

For instance,  I gave all of my guns away as gifts years ago to certain family members. The laws were different back the and no paper required.   So even though my will references firearms,  none are specifically listed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Would it not be feasible to fly in to Chicago, deliver the guns to an Illinois FFL, arrange shipment to a Florida FFL, fly home and pick up the firearms?
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#11]
So they're your guns now? Pick them up and go home.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So they're your guns now? Pick them up and go home.
View Quote

Kinda gets complicated; pistols or rifles? IM me
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#13]
If I recall correctly, inherited firearms can be sent DIRECT to the benefactor.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I recall correctly, inherited firearms can be sent DIRECT to the benefactor.
View Quote

I see what you did there  ??
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#15]
they're his guns now. doesnt matter what they are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top