BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Renewals should open up 90 days before the card expiration date.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's probably already listed in this thread but don't feel like scanning through five pages.

How long prior to FOID expiration can a renewal be submitted? Thanks.
Renewals should open up 90 days before the card expiration date.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife applied for her FOID on 1 July and as of today 6 October is still under review.  Anyone have any insight or know who to call since ISP isn't picking up the phone?
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My wife applied for her FOID on 1 July and as of today 6 October is still under review.  Anyone have any insight or know who to call since ISP isn't picking up the phone?
View Quote

mine has been under review for a year next week. Still shows as valid when I ran a check on it a couple weeks ago. Don't bother calling,  I've called numerous times, written letters to the supervisor of the FOID system, complained to my state congress critter, emailed downstate, called been put in que and then dropped. In other words the whole FOID system is a massive cluster fuck. The excuse is COVID, not enough reviewers, not enough funding, a backlog of 50K plus new apps and renewals.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

mine has been under review for a year next week. Still shows as valid when I ran a check on it a couple weeks ago. Don't bother calling,  I've called numerous times, written letters to the supervisor of the FOID system, complained to my state congress critter, emailed downstate, called been put in que and then dropped. In other words the whole FOID system is a massive cluster fuck. The excuse is COVID, not enough reviewers, not enough funding, a backlog of 50K plus new apps and renewals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back in April my buddy asked our state senator's office to give them a ring and his (new application) was approved two days later (after having been processing for 90days). Might be worth a shot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Back in April my buddy asked our state senator's office to give them a ring and his (new application) was approved two days later (after having been processing for 90days). Might be worth a shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll give it a try but I won't hold my breath. Oh, and Amy Grant is my state rep and she's been no use at all.

Laura Ellman (D), State Senator, 21st District
Suzy Glowiak (D), State Senator, 24th District
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Just making sure.
This is not a renewal...correct?

Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just making sure.
This is not a renewal...correct?

View Quote

Yes, this a new application.  She has never had one previously.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#8]
New FOIDS shouldn't take over 30 days.

I sent you an e-mail.  Please confirm you received it.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
New FOIDS shouldn't take over 30 days.

I sent you an e-mail.  Please confirm you received it.

Mike
View Quote

I didn't get your email.  I responded to your IM with my email.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
e-mail resent
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.thecentersquare.com/illinois/lawsuits-stack-up-as-foid-delays-reach-an-average-of-116-days/article_12841ae6-0d8c-11eb-ae40-6f0fc578f4ea.html

..."Illinois State Police say the average time for FOID card processing is 116.35 days. FOID cards are supposed to be processed within 30 days.

For Concealed Carry Licenses with fingerprints to go with the applications, ISP said the average time is 129.9 days. Without fingerprints with the application, it’s 154.19 days."...

..."Delays in processing FOID cards have been a problem since before the COVID-19 pandemic. In January, about 62,000 applications backlogged with some people waiting eight months or longer. Six months later, officials reported nearly 64,000 backlogged applications. As of Tuesday, Illinois State Police reported 142,324 pending FOID applications."...
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#13]
CCL Renewal
Applied 1/20/2020
Still listed as under review - 274 days
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
CCL Renewal
Applied 1/20/2020
Still listed as under review - 274 days
View Quote

applied/paid for FOID renewal 10/19/19, Still under review.........
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#15]
We all know blaming this on the red death is 100% bullshit.

My CCL expires on my card 4/21.
Undoubtedly I will not have a new card before then.
Will the neighborng states still honor my CCL with an expired card?
Probably not.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Probably not.
View Quote

I had a neighbor question why I had Florida, Utah, and Arizona CCL cards along with my IL card......I also had a PA card until they required me to return to the state to renew.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Probably not.
View Quote

I am guessing they are still only opening up renewals at 90 days before expiration, although they stated its an avg 154 day wait for CCL last week so maybe they will open them up sooner.

Your CCL card and license, in spite of having an expired date printed on it, will still be valid in IL and that active status should also be viewable by out of state LE.  So, I think they SHOULD still honor, but who knows what their policy may be.  I would carry a copy of the IL CCL Covid rules and renewal payment/status.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I am guessing they are still only opening up renewals at 90 days before expiration, although they stated its an avg 154 day wait for CCL last week so maybe they will open them up sooner.

Your CCL card and license, in spite of having an expired date printed on it, will still be valid in IL and that active status should also be viewable by out of state LE.  So, I think they SHOULD still honor, but who knows what their policy may be.  I would carry a copy of the IL CCL Covid rules and renewal payment/status.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably not.

That's what I'm doing. I also had an address change to correspond with the Real ID address change. So, not only do they owe me a new FOID, but they also owe me an address change on my CCL.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Applied in march for foid renewal, 90 days before my expiration. New foid in the mail today.
Weird thing is, my ccl was renewed exactly 1 year ago to the day, and I got a new foid card then, old expiration date. Not sure I like them on the same day, albeit different years.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 12:13:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oddly, I received an email from '[email protected]' on 10.28.20 that my FOID expires on 1.1.21 ... so apparently IL doesn't have money to improve the process, but they do have money to give me notice before they deny me a natural right  ... um, OK
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Same here, renewed in March, just received my FOID yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Oddly, I received an email from '[email protected]' on 10.28.20 that my FOID expires on 1.1.21 ... so apparently IL doesn't have money to improve the process, but they do have money to give me notice before they deny me a natural right  ... um, OK
View Quote

I got the email and a letter in the mail.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I had a neighbor question why I had Florida, Utah, and Arizona CCL cards along with my IL card......I also had a PA card until they required me to return to the state to renew.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably not.

Good idea.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#24]
FOID wait times up to 122 days

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/11/12/cbs-2-investigators-big-backlog-on-getting-foid-cards-to-own-firearms-in-illinois/

By law the process should take 30 days. But ISP said the average wait time has ballooned to 122.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#25]

I should feel blessed? 396 days and counting for my renewal. This is after letters to my state rep, attempted phone calls to ISP, and letters to ISP. Perhaps if my name wasn't York.  Took a drive down to Buffalo Rock Range in Ottawa last weekend, my credentials are still showing valid. So I guess there's that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/11/12/cbs-2-investigators-big-backlog-on-getting-foid-cards-to-own-firearms-in-illinois/

By law the process should take 30 days. But ISP said the average wait time has ballooned to 122.

We are now a country where laws only matter if those in power choose to enforce them, this by extension, obviously means your rights only matter where it is convenient to those same people.

We have been drifting that way forever but 2020 really solidified it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We are now a country where laws only matter if those in power choose to enforce them, this by extension, obviously means your rights only matter where it is convenient to those same people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the end all this will be liberating. For if the government, and it's enforcers are not bound by the laws, neither am I. I am not suggesting anarchy, but, if anarchy is what those in power desire they will be the ones that suffer indiscriminately. Quite frankly they'll get what they deserve. They had one job and only one job, and it sure wasn't molding, modeling, and fundamentally changing our country it was to defend our laws, and our Constitution.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I’m at 10 months now since I submitted my renewal. I haven’t tried but can I still purchase ammo with an expired FOID?
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I’m at 10 months now since I submitted my renewal. I haven’t tried but can I still purchase ammo with an expired FOID?
View Quote

depends on the shop. I tried to order a CA pistol at a small shop in Lombard and they said they don't deal with no FOID/unlicensed buyers. Where as GAT and R Guns seemed amenable, as did Buffalo Rock Range. BRR the last time I was down there had a gal that was  just vetting overdue FOIDs instead of working the counter.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

depends on the shop. I tried to order a SW pistol at a small shop in Lombard and they said they don't deal with no FOID/unlicensed buyers. Where as GAT and R Guns seemed amenable, as did Buffalo Rock Range. BRR the last time I was down there had a gal that was  just vetting overdue FOIDs instead of working the counter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

depends on the shop. I tried to order a SW pistol at a small shop in Lombard and they said they don't deal with no FOID/unlicensed buyers. Where as GAT and R Guns seemed amenable, as did Buffalo Rock Range. BRR the last time I was down there had a gal that was  just vetting overdue FOIDs instead of working the counter.

As written above, depends on store policy.  Card is valid, just not a current expire date on it, but many dont want to take whatever "risk" they perceive.  Id say dont expect to get any online shipment orders but locally, Id call before going to see what they say.  You can always print out covid rules and they should see active if they run the card, but their store, their rules.

A little surprised Lombard shop, ?was it North American Firearms?, is taking that approach.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As written above, depends on store policy.  Card is valid, just not a current expire date on it, but many dont want to take whatever "risk" they perceive.  Id say dont expect to get any online shipment orders but locally, Id call before going to see what they say.  You can always print out covid rules and they should see active if they run the card, but their store, their rules.

A little surprised Lombard shop, ?was it North American Firearms?, is taking that approach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, NAF. Contacted them via email.

AlvinYork
To:
northamericanfirearms

Wed, Aug 12 at 10:33 PM

Do you or are you willing to order and sell Charter Arms products? If so I'll be interested in purchasing a CA Pathfinder snub nose in .22LR. Also my F O I D has been under review by ISP since October. Numerous calls and correspondences with my state rep, attempts to get through to the Springfield office of ISP keep getting dropped. I have a clean background, have held a F O I D for over forty years, I hold UT, FL, AZ, IL CCLs. Would you be willing to sell to me despite the extended renewal reviews that are currently in force? Once Pritzker decides to defend the Constitution I will be looking to use your shop for occasional transfers, and for ammo purchases. Please let me know if we can do some business.

North American Firearms
To: AvinYork

Wed, Aug 12 at 10:58 PM

We do not sell a firearm to anyone that does not have a valid FOID card it is the law in Illinois once you get it will be happy to help you though

I ended up calling/dealing with R Guns instead.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

AlvinYork
To:
northamericanfirearms

Do you or are you willing to order and sell Charter Arms products? If so I'll be interested in purchasing a CA Pathfinder snub nose in .22LR. Also my F O I D has been under review by ISP since October. Numerous calls and correspondences with my state rep, attempts to get through to the Springfield office of ISP keep getting dropped. I have a clean background, have held a F O I D for over forty years, I hold UT, FL, AZ, IL CCLs. Would you be willing to sell to me despite the extended renewal reviews that are currently in force? Once Pritzker decides to defend the Constitution I will be looking to use your shop for occasional transfers, and for ammo purchases. Please let me know if we can do some business.

North American Firearms

We do not sell a firearm to anyone that does not have a valid FOID card it is the law in Illinois once you get it will be happy to help you though

View Quote

Hmmm, in general have heard positive responses for there. They surely have to know its valid by IL Covid rules unless they didnt really read what you wrote and assumed you didn't have a card at all.

I dont understand the perceived risk unless its because Covid rules are an ISP directive afaik vs actual legislation passed by ILGA and as a dealer they dont trust not getting screwed over later...or their lawyers are just telling them no.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hmmm, in general have heard positive responses for there. They surely have to know its valid by IL Covid rules unless they didnt really read what you wrote and assumed you didn't have a card at all.

I dont understand the perceived risk unless its because Covid rules are an ISP directive afaik vs actual legislation passed by ILGA and as a dealer they dont trust not getting screwed over later...or their lawyers are just telling them no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AlvinYork
To:
northamericanfirearms

North American Firearms

My response to their response......

AlvinYork
To:
North American Firearms

Thu, Aug 13 at 4:06 PM

Thanks for responding.

I understand your position. The state, the ISP says in fact that they're still valid until they've issued new ones as long as your application/payment was submitted prior to its expiration date. ISP now has a 40 or 50K or larger backlog on F O I Ds right now no new renewals are being processed either. so this must be  Pritzker's way of disarming us. Make sure that no one can get their gun card validated so no guns will be sold this is Chicago's old tactics practiced statewide.   I had my application in prior to COVID, prior to my renewal date, and yet I can't get my card. My renewal has been in their hands since 10/14/2019. I've taken to carrying the ISP flyers concerning the extensions with me in my car and on me when I'm carrying. Eventually, this is going to hurt businesses like yours. It looks like I will be and many like me will be up a creek on our CCLs come up for renewal for the same reasons. My CCL is due up in June of next year.

I received no response.......
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Adding another data point, I'm at 154 days since I submitted my renewal.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I am at almost 200 days on FOID
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I applied for change of address on my FOID and CCL early-mid April 2020.  

Got my updated CCL last week.

No FOID yet.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#37]
filed online September 28, 2020

Got it in the mail today.  

that is all.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Submitted on 6/14/2020
Active on 4/2/2021
Received 4/9/2021
299 days
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Applied for FOID renewal on 10/25/20. Issued on 8/26/21.

Not sure when it arrived. Checked my mail today for the first time in around 10 days. Envelope was postmarked 9/1 so probably arrived 9/3.

In total, took about 313 days. Being IL, I'm not surprised
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#40]
The general consensus in my neck of the woods is that if you applied for a FOID renewal after March of 2021, you should be in good shape.  If you applied in March of 2021 or earlier, you should expect to wait months for your new card.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I received my new FOID in the mail today.  It took 12 days from the time I applied online until it arrived in the mailbox.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Applied for CCW renewal end of January 2021.  So far, nothing...

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

@Manticore_Arms - are you an 07 holder or an 01? Regardless - they make you guys get a CCL?!?!?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top