Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 7:19:27 PM EDT
Looking for an FFL, preferably an ARFCOM member, in the Chicago area who can assist with the transfer of the firearms from my father's estate.

Father passed away in January and neither my brother nor my sister have any interest in keeping any of his guns.

There are about 10-15 long guns and 2 hand guns. I haven't decided if I will drive there and transport them back or ship them.

Family home is in Wheaton if that helps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. IM or email if you prefer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for an FFL, preferably an ARFCOM member, in the Chicago area who can assist with the transfer of the firearms from my father's estate.

Father passed away in January and neither my brother nor my sister have any interest in keeping any of his guns.

There are about 10-15 long guns and 2 hand guns. I haven't decided if I will drive there and transport them back or ship them.

View Quote

Nearby in W Chicago and great to do business with

http://mikelosacco.biz/index.html

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My sympathies.

This FFL is recommended by ARFCOMmer Proto3, and other people have agreed with the recommendation.  I haven't used him, but if I lived closer I'd certainly check him out.

Long Arms
Mark Long
708-712-4365
815 79th st Unit A
Willowbrook
right off i55 and rt 83

Also, I don't know if this is something you considered or whether it even matters, Illinois firearm owners are required to have a Firearm Owner's ID Card. I hope you don't run into any entanglements with that.  I couldn't even begin to try to explain the laws regarding a firearm transfer like this.  I'm sure others here can guide you, if such help is needed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My sympathies.

This FFL is recommended by ARFCOMmer Proto3, and other people have agreed with the recommendation.  I haven't used him, but if I lived closer I'd certainly check him out.

Long Arms
Mark Long
708-712-4365
815 79th st Unit A
Willowbrook
right off i55 and rt 83

Also, I don't know if this is something you considered or whether it even matters, Illinois firearm owners are required to have a Firearm Owner's ID Card. I hope you don't run into any entanglements with that.  I couldn't even begin to try to explain the laws regarding a firearm transfer like this.  I'm sure others here can guide you, if such help is needed.
View Quote

Came to post his info. Great guy, cheap, easy to work with. Also an arfcom member.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the condolences and  suggestions. I assume that this process will be even more complex given the convoluted firearm laws of IL.

I wish it were as simple as throwing them in my car and driving home, which is how it should be.

Any additional referrals are certainly welcome.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:20:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the condolences and  suggestions. I assume that this process will be even more complex given the convoluted firearm laws of IL.

I wish it were as simple as throwing them in my car and driving home, which is how it should be.
View Quote

It is. Federal law allows for interstate transfers in cases of "bequest or intestate succession". If you're genuinely inheriting them, pick them up and take them home.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:46:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It is. Federal law allows for interstate transfers in cases of "bequest or intestate succession". If you're genuinely inheriting them, pick them up and take them home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for a much better answer than mine!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe you are only partly correct. What I understand is that federal law does allow an out of state resident to transfer a firearm in another state as you posted, "in cases of bequest or intestate succession".  However, a transfer must still take place. That is, a 4473 through an FFL.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#8]
https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent.
See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

(a) It shall be unlawful -

[snip]

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I believe you are only partly correct. What I understand is that federal law does allow an out of state resident to transfer a firearm in another state as you posted, "in cases of bequest or intestate succession".  However, a transfer must still take place. That is, a 4473 through an FFL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, hes right, read a (3)  https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

But this only applies if you inherited them directly.  If they were left to your siblings, then a dealer would be needed.

ok, I was beat by a minute, the link just says what the poster above me posted.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My sympathy for your loss.

Mike Losacco is the only FFL I will use anymore, and he is only 10 minutes from Wheaton.  Fantastic guy and will take care of you.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But this only applies if you inherited them directly.  If they were left to your siblings, then a dealer would be needed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Upon closer reading, I have to agree with you all. It does appear to be just that simple. Imagine that!

Thanks to all for the referrals and advice.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks,

Bill Trimarco

T & C Firearms LLC

412 N. Edgewood Ave.

Lombard, IL. 60148

(630)689-6238
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My sympathies.

Long Arms

Mark Long

708-712-4365

815 79th st Unit A

Willowbrook

right off i55 and rt 83

View Quote
this is the guy who wouldn't do a transfer for me because FNS9 is high capacity mags.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
this is the guy who wouldn't do a transfer for me because FNS9 is high capacity mags.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My sympathies.

Long Arms
Mark Long
708-712-4365
815 79th st Unit A
Willowbrook
right off i55 and rt 83

What are the details? I've bought 40 round pmags from him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top