Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 12:47:27 AM EDT
Does Cook Co still have a valid AWB? I see reference to one but also some legal challenges. The ISP site only appears to show municipalities. A guy is interested in buying a rifle I'm selling but I want to make sure I'm not running afoul of any local laws.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#1]
It's pretty much only in Chicago and a couple of the suburbs. Keep my AR's in the suburbs (palatine) which is in cook county.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in cook and it's a tangled mess here.  Basically a home rule municipality within cook county which has a firearms ordinance of it's own preempts the cook awb.  This can be either good or bad because some towns wrote in literally "no machine-guns" as a gun ordinance.  There the AWB means nothing and you can have anything allowed by state law.  Some other towns have other restrictions of various kinds with all the cook restrictions and others.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live in cook and it's a tangled mess here.  Basically a home rule municipality within cook county which has a firearms ordinance of it's own preempts the cook awb.  This can be either good or bad because some towns wrote in literally "no machine-guns" as a gun ordinance.  There the AWB means nothing and you can have anything allowed by state law.  Some other towns have other restrictions of various kinds with all the cook restrictions and others.
View Quote

So the Co ban only applies to unincorporated portions of the county? And if the particular municipality does not have its own ban then they are legal in that area? Am I understanding correctly?

I found the ILSP link to municipality rules and didn't find anything for the particular city. Can someone point me to the "home rule" law to check it out?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So the Co ban only applies to unincorporated portions of the county? And if the particular municipality does not have its own ban then they are legal in that area? Am I understanding correctly?

I found the ILSP link to municipality rules and didn't find anything for the particular city. Can someone point me to the "home rule" law to check it out?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding of home rule is that the County ban applies to all areas of Cook County EXCEPT for home rule towns that override/replace the County ban.  With the exception of taxes, when there is a conflict between a munipical home rule ordinance and a county home rule ordinance, the municipal ordinance applies.

If the particular municipality does not have its own ban, or an ordinance countering a ban, then the county ban applies.  So when I read this:
Quoted:
It's pretty much only in Chicago and a couple of the suburbs. Keep my AR's in the suburbs (palatine) which is in cook county.

and don't see anything at the ISP site about Palatine, I wonder how that would be legal.

FWIW, I don't live in Cook County.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Palatine is a home rule community, but has absolutely nothing in its ordinances about "assault rifles" either for or against. I live in Palatine and actually emailed the police chief, asking about the legality of ARs in Palatine, and also asking about enforcement of the Cook AWB.

The commander responded to me (in writing, couldn't believe I got it in writing!) that ARs are legal to possess in Palatine, but said nothing about the Cook AWB, although it was mentioned that the AR platform is legal in IL.

Just for reference: at various times Palatine has made noise about seceding from Cook County. It's the last town NW that's still fully in Cook (Barrington is part in Cook, part in Lake).
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#6]
The Chief of police told my wife that AR's are legal in Schaumburg. My Attorny said AR's are legal in Schaumburg. The village Attorney said they would allow Cook County to enforce the ban? I have no clue anymore. And really wish someone would clarify.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Does Cook Co still have a valid AWB? I see reference to one but also some legal challenges. The ISP site only appears to show municipalities. A guy is interested in buying a rifle I'm selling but I want to make sure I'm not running afoul of any local laws.
View Quote

You have to ship it to his FFL.  If you're uncomfortable shipping to an FFL in Cook County, ask him to find one outside Cook County.

I live in Chicago and have never had an issue purchasing an AR-15 or AK.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top