Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2014 10:05:03 PM EDT
Evening Ladies,

I spoke with an old buddy of mine a couple of days ago.  We both worked construction, I purchased tons of stuff and he sold it to me.  He went to work for the rail road when things got bad and has done well for himself.  In fact I just lost my brother in law who just jumped over to the rail road.  He told me that they are looking to hire hundreds if not thousands of people in the Illinois area.  The positions are Union, so pay should be decent and raises should be semi regular.  I just wanted to toss that out there, times have been lean for far too long.

If your interested head to www.bnsf.com and put Illinois in the job bar.

I saw jobs in Beardstown, Joliet and Chicago.

Good luck to those who need it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Along the same line...

Metra Railroad always hiring. I hear 3-4 classes of assistant conductors in 2015.

My story is similiar. 13 years in the Ironworkers. 2012 applied to Metra among many other RR for any position I was remotely qualified for. Hired as an assistant conductor in spring 2013. Recently promoted to conductor and start locomotive engineer school in January.

Lots of pluses and minuses with the RR. I'll try and answer any questions but with the hours I work they may not be answered promptly.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, after 15 years in landscaping I applied and was hired by bnsf.  From what I hear they will still be hiring next year.   In the engineer program now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Are the railroad jobs still where you need 24/7 availability/ on call availability?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't speak for all the crafts but for conductors and engineers if we don't want to or don't have the senority to hold a regular job we are on an extra board.  Extra board is on call 24/7 with a 2hr notice to report. There is a 3hr call offered as a courtesy. For example I've got to be able to make it to the Antioch, Fox Lake, Elgin, or Western Ave. (Chicago) yards in 2hrs.

I'm a money grubbing whore with low seniority so I stay on the board. Many ways to get paid plus I usually catch a higher seniority job than I could hold.  I make 1/3-1/2 again as much as my classmates who are holding low seniority/low paying jobs.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Labors in Chicago, Moline and Galesburg 44 to 50k a year.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
CN is the only RR around here (Central IL)  I've applied for several positions with no success.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CN is the only RR around here (Central IL)  I've applied for several positions with no success.
View Quote

Agree... Takes an act of congress to get hired on with the RR
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Along the same line...

Metra Railroad always hiring. I hear 3-4 classes of assistant conductors in 2015.

My story is similiar. 13 years in the Ironworkers. 2012 applied to Metra among many other RR for any position I was remotely qualified for. Hired as an assistant conductor in spring 2013. Recently promoted to conductor and start locomotive engineer school in January.

Lots of pluses and minuses with the RR. I'll try and answer any questions but with the hours I work they may not be answered promptly.

View Quote

Metra is always hiring, even if it isn't on their website. They are Union also so you really can't get fired unless you mess with the money or don't show up.  And good job Steve I hope you are having fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top