Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2013 5:34:56 AM EDT
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=&SessionId=85&GA=98&DocTypeId=HB&DocNum=2825&GAID=12&LegID=74656&SpecSess=&Session=

Does this bill do what I think it does says it amends criminal code of 2012 saying it's illegal to possess a suppressor without or altered serial number does that make those with serial numbers legal?

Edit: Of course with the proper NFA stamp.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Response deleted per PM
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#2]
It says it amends the criminal code 2012 which should wipe away the orginal and replace what Rep. Unes is trying to put in it he is NRA friendly but that don't mean shit in this 2nd amendment hating land of Lincoln.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
This may be one of those we do not talk about it on a publicly accessible website bills...
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#4]
this appears to be an addition to the existing law.

720 ILCS 5/24-1 (6) is the provision that makes it illegal to possess a silencer and this act would not change that any.

I don't know why anyone would consider this as gun friendly.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks to me like it makes illegal home built suppressors, like they weren't already illegal!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
this appears to be an addition to the existing law.

720 ILCS 5/24-1 (6) is the provision that makes it illegal to possess a silencer and this act would not change that any.
View Quote

I believe you are correct.  Until the bill has language that says it is repealing or replacing 720 ILCS 5/24-1 (6), then the bill has no effect on the current prohibition on silencers.  In fact, the only thing it does is create an opportunity for a second Class 3 felony.  Assuming this bill becomes law as written, if you are caught with a silencer with a missing or altered serial number, you would be in violation of both statutes and thus subject to one count of UUW and one count of "Possession of a suppressor without a serial number or with an altered serial number."
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#7]
If we really want to play hardball with the idiots in the senate and house the original law states 720 ILCS 5/24-1 (6) is the provision that makes it illegal to possess a silencer, I for the life of me have never seen one of these that completely silences a firearm or is called a silencer on the other hand they do sell suppressors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top