Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2013 2:17:11 PM EDT
Greetings from the Buckeye state. (dont hold it against me, its where the job put me) anyway, I have been passing through your area for a while for work and after about $40.00 each way for tolls on the 90, I have a question. am I supposed to be stopping at all these booths or just the first one after I get on the freeway? and if I just happen to pass them by, how many years would I get in Joliet?

Thanks for any advise, tips, etc...
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming you see a bunch of open lanes to the left?  Those would be i-pass lanes; we are still getting dinged but the fee is less than the physical toll booth.  It's a device that we keep in the vehicle (mounted just behind my rear view mirror) using that heavy duty 3m polymer velcro.

If you're driving through IL much, I would definitely suck it up and get an i-pass for the convenience and reduced fee.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The Illinois I-Pass system is interchangeable with E-ZPass if you use that on your turnpike.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]
You can pay online to give your conscious rest.  I recomend a modern gps navigator where you can plan a toll free route.  The navigator will pay for itself.  If by any chance you drive around shitcago get the phone app "waze" its a gps navigator that shows all the corrupt red light and speeding cameras.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 3:59:16 AM EDT
[#5]
get an Ipass transponder. The tolls are half the price of going through the booth and paying cash.

You can also use EZPass from other states.

If you have either you just go through the open road tolling.

If you skip through and don't pay, they come after you. You can go to the toll way web site and pay after the fact though w/o fines. if you don't pay in seven days, the fines are very steep.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Ya If I was you I would get a I-Pass.  The tolls are half price and you can use it all the way though from Ohio to Illinois and I other places. (Not the Sunshine Toll Road in Florida tho.)
I travel to Ohio every month to visit my parents and have always used the I-Pass with all the tolls.

Even my parents from Ohio have a I-Pass in there car.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I do believe, as has been said, you have about seven days to pay the missed toll.  You have to tell them approximately when you went through, and at what toll area.
I rarely use the tolls system, and they have definately reconfigured the roads in the last ten years or so for the IPASS users.  Generally the toll booths are way off to the right side, and you really have to be prepared ahead of time, because the straight path is for the IPASS users.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks for all the responses folks. Looks I am going to try and hit accounting for an I pass. depends on how much I will be traveling that way. once ever couple months probably, up and back.

Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
just a Question
While I was working up there last year I ran 2 tolls by Mistake . So far nothing in the Mail . If I do get a letter/fines what happens if I do not pay . its not like I ever plan to go there again .
Next question while I am it
I let my roommate drive my Van and evidently he ran a Red Light with the camera and I am getting notices to pay . What happens f I do not pay this and it aint worth going to court over it
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:41:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
just a Question
While I was working up there last year I ran 2 tolls by Mistake . So far nothing in the Mail . If I do get a letter/fines what happens if I do not pay . its not like I ever plan to go there again .
I let my roommate drive my Van and evidently he ran a Red Light with the camera and I am getting notices to pay . What happens f I do not pay this and it aint worth going to court over it
View Quote

I got a letter from the state for a toll violation once. I guess the transponder did not read and for whatever reason they did not realize the license plate in the picture was the one they had on file for my car. My wife called them and they charged my IPass account so no fine. It took them 3 or 4 months though from when I went through and it did not register.

I suspect it is like any traffic type citation. They never forget about it and eventually you will come back and non-paid fines = arrest. I do not think they will come after you though.

Red light citations are basically the same thing as a regular traffic citation. Again, they won't actively come after you but they will get you eventually. Best to go to court and clear it up. The judge will be able to tell from the picture that you were not driving.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I got a letter from the state for a toll violation once. I guess the transponder did not read and for whatever reason they did not realize the license plate in the picture was the one they had on file for my car. My wife called them and they charged my IPass account so no fine. It took them 3 or 4 months though from when I went through and it did not register.

I suspect it is like any traffic type citation. They never forget about it and eventually you will come back and non-paid fines = arrest. I do not think they will come after you though.

Red light citations are basically the same thing as a regular traffic citation. Again, they won't actively come after you but they will get you eventually. Best to go to court and clear it up. The judge will be able to tell from the picture that you were not driving
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
just a Question

Red light citations are basically the same thing as a regular traffic citation. Again, they won't actively come after you but they will get you eventually. Best to go to court and clear it up. The judge will be able to tell from the picture that you were not driving

I am never never ever going back to Shitcago . I am down by St louis so it is not worth the dive or time to clear it up
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:21:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am never never ever going back to Shitcago . I am down by St louis so it is not worth the dive or time to clear it up
View Quote

I am not sure about a red light camera, but for normal citations if you don't pay they eventually will suspend your driver's license if you are an IL resident. I don't know if they can go after you if you are not an IL resident. They do not just forget traffic offenses though, ever.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Man, You guys weren't kidding, apparently on my last trip through, I missed 30 cent toll.
$17.30 to make it right
DAMN!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:24:03 AM EDT
[#14]
We pay the tolls, we are stuck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top