BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ivan1:

About an hour for me but it sounds like excellent service.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By InterestedBystander:
I recall people recommending a place in Bensenville, but is that too far?

ETA

https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/While-you-wait-firearms-engraving-in-Chicago-area/23-654918/

About an hour for me but it sounds like excellent service.

Hot Spot Engraving is 100% good to go. I left my lower with him overnight.  He does a great job.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I just submitted my first form 1 using efile and have a couple of questions for those that have done it.

1. How soon after you submit do you get a response email with the cover sheet for your fingerprints and where you’re supposed to send them?

2. I didn’t fill out my FD-258 exactly as indicated. For my height I mistakenly put 6’1” instead of 601. Does anyone know if it will be an issue or should I try to correct it somehow?

3. Any idea in current wait times?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve been putting this off way to long. Any trouble in will county with our democrat sheriff? I know its only notification but this is a process I’ve never done.
View Quote

Sorry I'm just seeing this now, but I live in Frankfort and have done this twice.  Once with the last guy (Kaupas?) and once with this one.  No issues either time.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#4]
NFA stuff has never really interested me personally since I am not rich, a hunter, or an operator.  All joking aside nothing covered by the NFA really seemed like it was worth the time, effort or hassle to try to own, ESPECIALLY in IL.   That said, now that there is a PCC division in USPSA, and they allow legal SBRs - but not shouldered SBR shaped "pistols", I can now justify the effort.    If anyone in Central IL wants to PM me and point me in the right direction, that would be awesome
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I found this thread on Reddit with a pretty good guide for us Illinoisans.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Firearms/comments/4gpxe6/sbrs_in_illinois_a_brief_guide_to_sbr_ownership/
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a couple AR-15 SBRs following this process. Is it true that an AK, Scar, MP5 etc could not be SBRed in IL because the "stock device" does not need to be in place to fire the device? IE an AR15 has to have the buffer tube to be a functioning rifle. Am I making any sense here? lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Sogan:
I have a couple AR-15 SBRs following this process. Is it true that an AK, Scar, MP5 etc could not be SBRed in IL because the "stock device" does not need to be in place to fire the device? IE an AR15 has to have the buffer tube to be a functioning rifle. Am I making any sense here? lol
View Quote

I have an AK SBR.  It started as a pistol, I filed the form 4, then had a folding stock installed
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like it just needs to be a minimum OAL of 26” and appears people are doing it in the non-folded position. If so, a SLR-104UR is around 28.75” so should be good to go.

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#9]
How exactly  is The OAL of 26" measured?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ScopeEye:
View Quote

With a tape measure?

Don't take it as gospel, but I seem to remember it being with the stock collapsed and the end of the muzzle if not pinned or the end of the muzzle device if pinned.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ScopeEye:
View Quote

On a rifle the stock is extended. Article
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone went from SBR back to pistol or know what process or forms to file with the ATF?
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I have to renew by C&F FFL and also submit a Form 1. As required by the ATF, a copy has to be sent to the CLEO. I remember sending it 3 years back to my town police chief and they simply returned it back after a few weeks.

I've read here that it is best to send it to the ISP chief? I looked up and could only find the address for the 'Office of Director'. Can someone confirm the address and if this is where you should send the copies of C&R renewals & Form 1 applications please?

Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#14]

@korgs130

Isn’t an MP5 less than 26”? Do you have a fixed stock and not a folder? Maybe I’m confused on the IL law for it and also have an mp5 I’d like to SBR
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By korgs130:
I’m SBRing my SP5 and just got it engraved at Krios Engraving in Geneseo. Lee is an Army vet and FFL. Laser engraved while I waited, but you can ship to him as well. $45. Top notch!

https://krios-engraving.com/

@korgs130

Isn’t an MP5 less than 26”? Do you have a fixed stock and not a folder? Maybe I’m confused on the IL law for it and also have an mp5 I’d like to SBR

Reviving an old post but thinking of doing a Form 1 on my SP5 as well. Any SBR a MP5 or clones in here? If so, any special requirements regarding OAL?
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bob9181:
I have to renew by C&F FFL and also submit a Form 1. As required by the ATF, a copy has to be sent to the CLEO. I remember sending it 3 years back to my town police chief and they simply returned it back after a few weeks.

I've read here that it is best to send it to the ISP chief? I looked up and could only find the address for the 'Office of Director'. Can someone confirm the address and if this is where you should send the copies of C&R renewals & Form 1 applications please?

View Quote

A copy has to be sent to your local Chief of Police
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Reviving an old post but thinking of doing a Form 1 on my SP5 as well. Any SBR a MP5 or clones in here? If so, any special requirements regarding OAL?
View Quote

It has to he atleast 26 inches I believe. The full size mp5 should meet that requirement.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By garbageman:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By garbageman:

@bob9181

IANAL ... the regs state local Chief of Police  - if they return it that is their choice, not yours.

For bonus points, send it to them via Certified Mail  :D
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 3:00:05 AM EDT
[#18]

It has to he atleast 26 inches I believe. The full size mp5 should meet that requirement.
View Quote

Originally Posted By sendit14:

@bob9181

IANAL ... the regs state local Chief of Police  - if they return it that is their choice, not yours.

For bonus points, send it to them via Certified Mail  :D
View Quote

Sounds good. Thanks you both for the pointers.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Not sure how the new law affects creating a new SBR. The SP5 would have an OAL greater than 26” with pretty much any stock. A2, UMP, A3 F or pre F etc.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bikencycle:

Not sure how the new law affects creating a new SBR. The SP5 would have an OAL greater than 26” with pretty much any stock. A2, UMP, A3 F or pre F etc.
View Quote

At the very least, I'd say you'd have to own the SP5 already, since you're not going to be able to buy one in this state for a while.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I've read some conflicting reports about getting an approved SBR in Cook county. Any ody have any recent experiences?  I'm in La Grange if it makes a difference, not Chicago.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By WilsonCQB1911:
I've read some conflicting reports about getting an approved SBR in Cook county. Any ody have any recent experiences?  I'm in La Grange if it makes a difference, not Chicago.
View Quote

Theres been members that have gotten one approved. Send the chief of police copy to the isp if you feel cook would appose.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone have any idea of how the new brace ruling and ban affect a new form 1?
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Any recent approvals post AWB?  Anybody out of Cook?
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I was disapproved, with the reason cited being the Blair Holt Cook County AWB.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#26]
That disapproval concerns me. I have two questions:
1.  Do you need to engrave your info before submitting the eform1?
2.  Can you submit more the one firearm in the line item or does each need to be separately filed?
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Seems it’s the end of the road for SBRs in Illinois. The silence is deafening.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Not so fast.

I submitted a few form 1's, and one of them came back approved.  Still waiting on the others but I reached out and found out they are very backlogged right now.  I submitted all of mine within hours of eachother, and it the first took about 40 days or so.  Still waiting on the others, but they ARE approving despite the ban.

I am not in cook county.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By lueds24:
That disapproval concerns me. I have two questions:
1.  Do you need to engrave your info before submitting the eform1?
2.  Can you submit more the one firearm in the line item or does each need to be separately filed?
Thanks in advance.
View Quote

No need to engrave first.

Each needs a separate application.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
Not so fast.

I submitted a few form 1's, and one of them came back approved.  Still waiting on the others but I reached out and found out they are very backlogged right now.  I submitted all of mine within hours of eachother, and it the first took about 40 days or so.  Still waiting on the others, but they ARE approving despite the ban.

I am not in cook county.
View Quote

I was going to go thru it and do some but I may end up moving maybe if I can line up a job. How fast to travel forms come back if I go thru with it and I end up moving? Also if I move and they are in process, do I have to start over or can I do a change of address?
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#31]
No clue as to the above question, but I am 3/3 approved.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Currently waiting on approvals from the pistol brace form one. One was pending research for about a week and is now pending approval.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Received an approval recently.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m afraid to ask but is this still a possibility with the new ridiculousness that is the 2024 laws?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m afraid to ask but is this still a possibility with the new ridiculousness that is the 2024 laws?
View Quote

As long as you register your evil baby-killing machine. [/s]
Page / 22
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top