Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Posted: 1/10/2013 6:28:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: battlehawk1025]
FIRST NOTE THIS INFORMATIVE ONLY!!! I am not responsible for anything thing!
This is a quick "how to". Not the most detailed posting in the world.

SBR= Short Barreled Rifle

I have had  many request for me to do a small quick  tutorial on how to get a SBR in IL.

To obtain an SBR on a form 1 on a trust. First you need a FOID.

A C&R FFL from the ATF,  this takes about 5 min to fill out and about 30 days to obtain one. FAQ about C&R FFL here

Next fill out your Form 1. I'm not going to explain this part because there are a ton info on blogs/ post on how to do this much better than what  I could produce. Google is your friend on this one.

Now the CLEO sign off.  I live in Crook county and there was no way in hell I was going to get a sign off. To be honest I live in Wilmette, I rather not draw attention to myself with trying to get a CLEO sign off So

I went with a trust. Many people ask me where i get my trust from. My brother has a place in WI. He and I have a trust set up in WI for a few years. We have  more NFA toys than "normal" firearms.

I basically copied it and a Lawyer friend of mine modified it to my individual needs. Please do not PM me asking for a copy of my trust as you will not get it. If you search a little you will find plenty of info on

NFA type trusts. Also please dont ask if i have any lawyer recommendations because I do not.

I did this on an AR-15.

MO
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Proto3:
Just got back one of my Form 1's that I sent in last November with this note....

They want a specific ordnance from Palatine saying we are home rule... which I kind of understand except for the fact that I already have an SBR stamp!
Emailed the police dept asking for it, so hopefully they get back to me.

https://i.imgur.com/m721olu.jpg
View Quote
Wan't the whole SBR thing written with preemption language so that there is no home rule bs?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Wan't the whole SBR thing written with preemption language so that there is no home rule bs?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Just got back one of my Form 1's that I sent in last November with this note....

They want a specific ordnance from Palatine saying we are home rule... which I kind of understand except for the fact that I already have an SBR stamp!

No idea. But it's just dumb as hell that they are asking someone who already has an SBR stamp.

They only sent that letter back with one of my form 1's so I'm sure I'll get the same response back from my other form 1 any day now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
No idea. But it's just dumb as hell that they are asking someone who already has an SBR stamp.

They only sent that letter back with one of my form 1's so I'm sure I'll get the same response back from my other form 1 any day now.
View All Quotes

Did the examiner leave a contact number? Maybe give them a ring Monday and see what the mental block is.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I did not think an ordinance was required for populations above a certain size and they were automatically home rule?

https://www.palatine.il.us/555/Home-Rule-Authority

Home Rule Authority

In 1970, by virtue of a population above 25,000 people, the Village of Palatine achieved home rule status with the passage of the revised Constitution of Illinois. As a home rule community, Palatine has the authority to exercise any power or perform any function pertaining to its government and affairs including, but not limited to, the powers to regulate for the protection of the public health, safety, morals, and welfare, and to license, tax, and incur debt.

Authority & Latitude
Home rule communities have far greater authority and latitude to make their own decisions than non-home rule municipalities. Even though the state of Illinois has granted home rule units flexibility and authority to enact taxes, borrow money, regulate local activities, alter their government structure, and seek innovative solutions to local problems, the General Assembly has imposed several restrictions on the use of home rule powers.

First and foremost, home rule units may not tax income, earnings, and/or occupations, or license for revenue unless authorized to do so by the General Assembly; define or punish for felonies; or incur debt payable from property taxes that matures more than 40 years from the date of issuance. Furthermore, the General Assembly may restrict or pre-empt home rule powers by three-fifths majority vote of the legislature.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:48:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InterestedBystander] [#5]
View Quote
Don't recall that in SBR itself but I could be wrong.  The CCL law has state preemption language for handguns and it gave local municipalities 10 days to pass AWB ordinances iirc.   SBR VS AWB???

http://ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/098-0063.htm

(c) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Section, the
regulation of the possession or ownership of assault weapons
are exclusive powers and functions of this State. Any ordinance
or regulation, or portion of that ordinance or regulation, that
purports to regulate the possession or ownership of assault
weapons in a manner that is inconsistent with this Act, shall
be invalid unless the ordinance or regulation is enacted on,
before, or within 10 days after the effective date of this
amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly. Any ordinance or
regulation described in this subsection (c) enacted more than
10 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the
98th General Assembly is invalid. An ordinance enacted on,
amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly may be amended. The
enactment or amendment of ordinances under this subsection (c)
are subject to the submission requirements of Section 13.3. For
the purposes of this subsection, "assault weapons" means
firearms designated by either make or model or by a test or
list of cosmetic features that cumulatively would place the
firearm into a definition of "assault weapon" under the
ordinance.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By InterestedBystander:
Don't recall that in SBR itself but I could be wrong.  The CCL law has state preemption language for handguns and it gave local municipalities 10 days to pass AWB ordinances iirc.   SBR VS AWB???

ordinance.
View All Quotes

ordinance.
Maybe that's what I was thinking of.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I did not think an ordinance was required for populations above a certain size and they were automatically home rule?

https://www.palatine.il.us/555/Home-Rule-Authority

Home Rule Authority

In 1970, by virtue of a population above 25,000 people, the Village of Palatine achieved home rule status with the passage of the revised Constitution of Illinois. As a home rule community, Palatine has the authority to exercise any power or perform any function pertaining to its government and affairs including, but not limited to, the powers to regulate for the protection of the public health, safety, morals, and welfare, and to license, tax, and incur debt.

Authority & Latitude
Home rule communities have far greater authority and latitude to make their own decisions than non-home rule municipalities. Even though the state of Illinois has granted home rule units flexibility and authority to enact taxes, borrow money, regulate local activities, alter their government structure, and seek innovative solutions to local problems, the General Assembly has imposed several restrictions on the use of home rule powers.

First and foremost, home rule units may not tax income, earnings, and/or occupations, or license for revenue unless authorized to do so by the General Assembly; define or punish for felonies; or incur debt payable from property taxes that matures more than 40 years from the date of issuance. Furthermore, the General Assembly may restrict or pre-empt home rule powers by three-fifths majority vote of the legislature.
View Quote
It sounds like the ATF wants a specific ordnance saying AR's are ok to own. We'll see what the police department says.

The whole thing makes no sense since I already own a SBR.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:19:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InterestedBystander] [#8]

It sounds like the ATF wants a specific ordnance saying AR's are ok to own. We'll see what the police department says.

The whole thing makes no sense since I already own a SBR.
View Quote
Gotcha, they werent questioning if home rule the way I originally took that.  Don't most places tell you what you can not do instead of what you can?  I don't recall ever seeing an ordinance that says its ok to own a firearm.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Palatine muni codes are a bit harder to search as they arent hosted off site and searchable but as independent PDFs

https://www.palatine.il.us/564/Code-of-Ordinances

They do call out some conflicts around employment and sick leave...
ARTICLE XXIX.   CONFLICTS  WITH  CERTAIN  HOME  RULE   COUNTY ORDINANCES
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:45:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Form mailed end of Oct., received Saturday  Not bad, only 10.5 months
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Mailed to atf in November got stamp today (09/19/17)
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I got the same letters as "Proto3" from ATF today for 2 of my SBR'S  that I submitted on 9/7/16 so I went to police department here in Palatine IL and they have no idea of what ATF need from me. After more than a year of waiting to get this!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By exred:
Well I got the same letters as "Proto3" from ATF today for 2 of my SBR'S  that I submitted on 9/7/16 so I went to police department here in Palatine IL and they have no idea of what ATF need from me. After more than a year of waiting to get this!
View Quote
Has anyone tried calling the investigators and seeing exactly what they want yet? Like someone pointed out earlier, ordinances are usually for saying what you CAN'T do not what you CAN, so there probably isn't a code saying you can have/build one.

Gotta love the self-licking ice cream cone that is our gov.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone tried calling the investigators and seeing exactly what they want yet? Like someone pointed out earlier, ordinances are usually for saying what you CAN'T do not what you CAN, so there probably isn't a code saying you can have/build one.

View All Quotes

Just left a message with the person at the ATF who is handing my form 1 so we'll see what they say if/when they call me back.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:04:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InterestedBystander] [#14]

Just left a message with the person at the ATF who is handing my form 1 so we'll see what they say if/when they call me back.
View Quote
Not to be negative, but is there risk of revoking your current stamp if they take the approach that County rules are in force unless Home Rule community passes a law superseding County.   Ive seen local codes call out county conflicts, but this seems a bit backwards with County says no and the ATF wants a law saying you can which I dont think I've heard of, although I assume Hoffman Estates has something allowing sales in Cook Co for Cabelas.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought if someone who has C&R license can get an SBR stamp even in Cook county.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought if someone who has C&R license can get an SBR stamp even in Cook county.
View Quote
Still have to abide by local laws.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Not to be negative, but is there risk of revoking your current stamp if they take the approach that County rules are in force unless Home Rule community passes a law superseding County.   Ive seen local codes call out county conflicts, but this seems a bit backwards with County says no and the ATF wants a law saying you can which I dont think I've heard of, although I assume Hoffman Estates has something allowing sales in Cook Co for Cabelas.
View All Quotes

Hopefully I can maybe get the Palatine Chief to write a letter saying they are legal or something. We’ll see what they have to say if they get back to me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I always do.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Hopefully I can maybe get the Palatine Chief to write a letter saying they are legal or something. We’ll see what they have to say if they get back to me.
View Quote
Any updates on the ATF request?
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Tried to call the number to ATF for last 2 weeks left several messages no response, also worked with local PD they also tried to call them no response back. Local PD saying that they don't know what exactly ATF is asking, they told me Palatine is a home rule community, but they won't write me a letter to submit to ATF I have 6 days left before my application gets kicked, with no response from ATF and local PD can't help even tho person who tried to help me from PD was very cool guy and I knew that he was trying to help me but couldn't get response back from ATF.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:55:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Proto3] [#21]
View All Quotes

Nothing... Left messages with the ATF, never got back to me. The police chief never got back to me either.

Looks like I may be stuck building some pistols.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Someone from the local PD finally emailed me back but only with a document that says Palatine is home rule. I don’t think that’ll be enough for the ATF.

Edit: I emailed back asking if there are any ordances on the books that I could use showing we are exempt and they said there are none they are aware of.

Looks like I’m officially stuck with pistols now. On the bright side, at least the $400 I’ll get refunded can go into those builds.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got my Form 1 approval for my Scar16!!!

Sent May 9th.
Got there May 13th.
Cashed May 16th.

Just got it in today's mail with an approval date of Oct 13th.

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By dogrobber13:

Sent May 9th.
Got there May 13th.
Cashed May 16th.

View Quote
Got any pics? I'm about to send in my papers for my 16.  Idk why but I really like how they look with a 10".
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Sent May 9th.
Got there May 13th.
Cashed May 16th.

View Quote
Got mine today too with the same approval date. Now I need to finish buying the parts since I wasn't counting on it being that fast.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Sent May 9th.
Got there May 13th.
Cashed May 16th.

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:50:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogrobber13] [#27]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
Got mine today too with the same approval date. Now I need to finish buying the parts since I wasn't counting on it being that fast.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

Sent May 9th.
Got there May 13th.
Cashed May 16th.

No pics yet.
Haven't even had it engraved as I was counting on at least another 3 months
My last 3 took that long.

Anyone know of engraver in state?

ETA; Does ATF notify my CLEO or do I do that?
How do I notify?

Here are the results of a 5mo wait!
Engraved Sat by a guy right down the street from me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 2:13:47 AM EDT
[#28]

No pics yet.
Haven't even had it engraved as I was counting on at least another 3 months
My last 3 took that long.

Anyone know of engraver in state?

ETA; Does ATF notify my CLEO or do I do that?
How do I notify?

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=8d417c3c0f&view=att&th=15f49dd9d5504df8&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=1582062922294624256-local0&zw

Here are the results of a 5mo wait!
Engraved Sat by a guy right down the street from me.
View Quote
Per atf instructions on the form 1, the copy marked “cleo copy” is what you send to your local cleo and is what serves as notification when you first apply for the stamp.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Simple fact is this, unless your locality has a grandfathered AW ban, if your in IL, SBRs are legal.  They are legal for corporations, they are legal for trusts.  They are legal for individuals.  How do I know, simple, I had an Illinois legal SBR before anyone else did, and I did it without any FFL of any kind, about 15 years ago.  With the new statute from what, 2013, they just made it easier without an argument from ATF.

Before getting my own FFL/SOT, I helped people, corporations, and one trust, all get registered SBRs in Illinois, well over a dozen of them.

If anyone with a FOID card wants a SBR, if they will do what they are told to do (and it does not require an SOT), I will sell them on ATF Form 4 an SBR, on my own AR lower, which does not require that engraving nonsense, as its already ATF approved marked.  If they don't want to buy one from me, I'll still walk them through it, and if they have a fOID card, and don't live in the wrong city, it will be approved.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Benbowcity:
Simple fact is this, unless your locality has a grandfathered AW ban, if your in IL, SBRs are legal.  They are legal for corporations, they are legal for trusts.  They are legal for individuals.  How do I know, simple, I had an Illinois legal SBR before anyone else did, and I did it without any FFL of any kind, about 15 years ago.  With the new statute from what, 2013, they just made it easier without an argument from ATF.

Before getting my own FFL/SOT, I helped people, corporations, and one trust, all get registered SBRs in Illinois, well over a dozen of them.

If anyone with a FOID card wants a SBR, if they will do what they are told to do (and it does not require an SOT), I will sell them on ATF Form 4 an SBR, on my own AR lower, which does not require that engraving nonsense, as its already ATF approved marked.  If they don't want to buy one from me, I'll still walk them through it, and if they have a fOID card, and don't live in the wrong city, it will be approved.
View Quote
Ok
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#31]

7.5 + 12.5 = whole lotta fun
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By shifty522:
http://i.imgur.com/KVAUdNv.jpg

7.5 + 12.5 = whole lotta fun
View Quote
I really want to build a 9 one of these days.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#33]

I really want to build a 9 one of these days.
View Quote
Oh man it is ridiculously fun...my buddy has a dillon 1050 .... the dillon has been cranking the 9's..those things go quick..  
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Filled form 1 Sept 29th 2016 got approved Dec 5th 2017, thank you Cook County.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Filled form 1 Sept 29th 2016 got approved Dec 5th 2017, thank you Cook County.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
Join date, check
Post count, check

I'm gonna' go out on a limb here and disagree w/ you.  SBR's were not legal for the average subject to own prior to the 2013 legislation.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#38]
http://i.imgur.com/uMEvKAZ.jpg
View All Quotes

http://i.imgur.com/uMEvKAZ.jpg
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote
Just got my two stamps today after the whole Palatine thing. Of course I just moved to Atlanta so I’ll have to get them transfered lol
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Heres a question...i recieved my C&R yesterday as an individual, not factoring my better half, my question is if i fill out my Form 1 as a TRUST will it get kicked back because my C&R and Form 1 wont match?

I realize i can do the form 1 as an individual, but id like for my wife who does shoot be able to train or use the rifle for a possible home defense scenario while im not around!

Note: ive called the ATF and ive left messages for an  NFA examiner, but havnt gotten a response.  Thanks fellas
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 2:56:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotfish] [#42]
Unless something has (recently) changed, you can't get a SBR approved in Illinois on a trust.

To my knowledge, no one can shoot (or be in possession of) the rifle without you being present.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By gotfish:
Unless something has (recently) changed, you can't get a SBR approved in Illinois on a trust.
View Quote
This.  No trust in IL.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#44]
10-4 thanks for the replies. I will file the form 1 as an individual
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Finally finished my last two Cook County SBR builds. Got the stamps back in December, but with moving down to GA things had to wait. All three were originally registered in Cook County.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 3:06:51 AM EDT
[#46]
So as a resident of Indiana, how can i bring my SBR's over to shoot at the club I belong to?
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By MeanGun:
So as a resident of Indiana, how can i bring my SBR's over to shoot at the club I belong to?
View Quote
Fill out and send them one of these. Took around 3 weeks for mine to get approved when I moved.

Under "dates" you can literally put from 3/10/18 to 12/31/18. Then send in a new one next year.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Sooooo, to all of us who have gotten C+R licenses. What is there to prevent CLEOs from using this knowledge to come after us when a ban goes into effect. This would provide probable cause that high capacity assault weapons  are owned by the licensee.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By LILGUY:
Sooooo, to all of us who have gotten C+R licenses. What is there to prevent CLEOs from using this knowledge to come after us when a ban goes into effect. This would provide probable cause that high capacity assault weapons  are owned by the licensee.
View Quote
There are also reasons to get a C&R other than getting a SBR.  Not sure that alone qualifies as probable cause so will be interested in other comnents.

And you are assuming a ban is going to happen...not a done deal yet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Did we ever get by the 26” length restriction? That just screws the whole sbr thing up. Very poorly written language.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top