Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2011 6:48:45 PM EDT
WOW - just.  WOW.

Here's hoping he's right.  

Dems may approve ‘concealed carry’ to throw GOP a bone

When 80 percent of voters oppose something, they are far more likely to base their vote on that one issue. Because opposition to the death penalty has since dropped far below that threshold, it became a bit easier to “do the right thing” without losing the next election.

And that’s why a “concealed carry” bill has a chance of passing in the next year or so. Downstate voters are far more conservative than those in the Chicago region. The death penalty is still supported by a big majority in that region. And lots more people oppose civil unions and tax increase than they do in the Chicago Sun-Times’ circulation area.

So, in order to chill out tons of very angry “80 percenters” and secure their legislative majorities, the General Assembly’s Chicago Democratic leadership may eventually have to swallow hard and pass a bill to allow some folks to carry concealed weapons.

Downstate Democratic legislators are screaming for the bill as a way to help them throw some much-needed red meat at their furious constituents.

Those three huge bills which were signed into law this year couldn’t have passed until after the election. Lots of “lame ducks” were used to pad the total, while others crossed their fingers and hoped voters would calm down before the next go-around. So the Democrats may choose to wait until after next year’s primary (their “real” election) to do something.

Governing is always a balancing act, and the scales have been tipped so far in one direction that another very large, “once-in-a-generation” law may have to be passed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow.  If they actually come through with it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:34:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Rich Miller is probably the most dialed-in journalist in Springpatch, so I'd give this some serious credence.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#3]
So I know this is probably a little tinfoil thinking here BUT  Do you think the democrats will agree to pass this if the Republicans will vote for an AWB???   OR am I just a dumbass and need to think of what to wear the first day I carry??

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:50:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I just don't believe this will happen.
The number of reps. in the state House and Senate, are determined by population; so Chicago and the suburbs have a lot of anti-gun representation in the legislature.  These people have no incentive whatsoever, to "horse trade" on anything as big as this.  It doesn't matter, that by land mass, IL is as rural as WI is.  It's all about population, and representation.
There are a number of new people, who were elected in the last election, and I can't remember if there was a net gain in second amendment supporters or not.  This is the only thing that could make the difference.
The only bone the liberals are going to throw, is the one they have already; do the things that people dont want, like the three things passed already, and mentioned at the beginning of this article, and now the "internet sales tax", just signed by our fine governor.  They're giving us a "boning" alright.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So I know this is probably a little tinfoil thinking here BUT  Do you think the democrats will agree to pass this if the Republicans will vote for an AWB???   OR am I just a dumbass and need to think of what to wear the first day I carry??

No, but you're on the right track.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#6]
There may be a pretty interesting deal going on but for now.......my mouth is shut.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There was talk of this before IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I was afraid of this. They make the AWB pass so we can carry. Then they limit us to cap and ball pistols. Don't laugh this is what I think this state is capable of. If the AWB passes it will be the straw that breaks this camels back. Tax the shit out of me and restrict as many of my rights as they can. I'll be taking my tax's elsewhere. You guys know Komefornia has CCW right? It also has an AWB. And your average joe can't get a CCW. I can see that happening here.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Not likely.  They don't need the republicans for anything.  They control the whole Ill govt.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:17:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There may be a pretty interesting deal going on but for now.......my mouth is shut.

Okay now you have me on the edge of my seat. Can ya give a hint?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#11]

I'd like to believe the article.  Really, I would.  But I have visions of NY CCW that's not valid in NYC, and has an AWB to go along with it.  I have so little confidence in Springfield doing anything correctly that we're waiting to close on a house in IN.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#12]
PATRIOT73

Your message has me intrigued and concerned.  Based upon the message you are replying to, it seems that you are insinuating that  there is some deal brewing whereby "our side" is willing to trade away some of our rights(AWB) in exchange for  CC.  I hope that is not true.  As much as I want CC, you can keep it if we have to accept an AWB or other ridiculous restrictions of our rights.  If you can shed any light on your comment, please do.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
PATRIOT73

Your message has me intrigued and concerned.  Based upon the message you are replying to, it seems that you are insinuating that  there is some deal brewing whereby "our side" is willing to trade away some of our rights(AWB) in exchange for  CC.  I hope that is not true.  As much as I want CC, you can keep it if we have to accept an AWB or other ridiculous restrictions of our rights.  If you can shed any light on your comment, please do.

Thanks

If gay marriage is the trade, we'll take it.  AWB, no deal, we'll come back next year, or let the courts force the issue as in Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#14]
So the Dims throw the bone, and Quin refuses to sign it....
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If they get 3/5ths, they avoid a fight with Quinn and lets him off the hook.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay now you have me on the edge of my seat. Can ya give a hint?

Not yet.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
PATRIOT73

Thanks

If gay marriage is the trade, we'll take it.  AWB, no deal, we'll come back next year, or let the courts force the issue as in Wisconsin.

Won't be an AWB
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
PATRIOT73

Thanks

We won't have to sacrifice any gun rights. Won't be an AWB. Obviously none of us are going to stand for that. If it is what I have been told, only conservatives can fuck it up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not likely.  They don't need the republicans for anything.  They control the whole Ill govt.

Yes they do.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Yup.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't hold your breath, it's a come on. Even if they pass it they'll back out when it comes time to override. IL Dems have no moral compass or core. What am I saying, Dems everywhere are the same.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't hold your breath, it's a come on. Even if they pass it they'll back out when it comes time to override. IL Dems have no moral compass or core. What am I saying, Dems everywhere are the same.

Illinois Republicans have no moral compass or code either. Democrats in Illinois have a tendency to placate their constituents by either introducing legislation that has zero chance of passing or derailing good legislation because it upsets their constituenets. I'm not sure which group is worse, the rabid Lefty Dems from the city or the rural area "congregation" democrats. Both groups are an impedance to anything useful or positive happening.

But if you think Illinois Republicans have a moral compass google: Willis Family.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#23]
High cap ban.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Someone throw me a little light.  I'm getting my retro disability pay and I already had an OBR on order, but if there is any chance of an AWB or hi cap ban, other than the ramblings on the bill, let me know.  Because I'll drop some tall cash on a few SBR's and more pmags.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:53:28 AM EDT
[#25]
If I were a politician in this state. I'd open a gun store that sold only so called "assault weapons" Hi cap mags and ammo. At discount prices.Then every so often I'd hold a press conference declaring an impending ban on such products. Now if you all will excuse me I need to go out and buy some more mags. And maybe a lower or 2 or 3.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#26]
People this is not yet set in Stone.

Take the time to sit down for 5 minutes and call your legislators and politely ask them for their support on LTC bill.  Thank Them if they are in support of the bill, and ask them to reconsider if they are against or unsure about it.      Those phone calls really make a difference!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Someone throw me a little light. I'm getting my retro disability pay and I already had an OBR on order, but if there is any chance of an AWB or hi cap ban, other than the ramblings on the bill, let me know. Because I'll drop some tall cash on a few SBR's and more pmags.

Is that a typo?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top