Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2010 7:04:07 PM EDT
My mom and I are going to head up there either tomorrow afternoon or Sunday afternoon (Probably tomorrow) and see if we can break in our new pistols.  Any advice for there?  How are their ammo prices?  They discount with purchase of ammo so I thought I'd pick up some to use there and maybe some extra too.  

I'll try to bring a range report back too. My mom will be using a Taurus PT22 and I will be using my S&W SD40.  I am hopefully going to do some action-ish shooting with the SD in the future but a straight up range trip would be a good first step.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Heading to MegaSports pretty much encouraged me to find a club.  When shooting with my wife, it was either pay $25 a person if we brought our own ammo, or $20 a person if we bought their ammo which isn't great prices.  You're looking at a minimum of $14.99 a box of 9mm.

You'll feel rushed, there will be a line of people ahead of you and behind you.

Sorry, It's a good place to shoot if its freezing cold outside.  I prefer to shoot at my club.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Heading to MegaSports pretty much encouraged me to find a club.  When shooting with my wife, it was either pay $25 a person if we brought our own ammo, or $20 a person if we bought their ammo which isn't great prices.  You're looking at a minimum of $14.99 a box of 9mm.

Sorry, It's a good place to shoot if its freezing cold outside.  I prefer to shoot at my club.

A line?   Well would we probably be better off heading to Buffalo Rock?

14.99, how much is that per round?  And I will be using .40....
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:39:39 AM EDT
[#3]
$15 for a 50 round box.  I'm bad at math.

You're looking at $0.19.9 a round or so.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:07:29 AM EDT
[#4]
My advice is to eat lunch at Pom Pom's next door. I ordered their half pound burger well done. When I got it, the burger was both well done and so juicy the bun literally disintegrated in my hands. Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:08:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, thats about what I am paying between Wal Mart and Farm and Fleet.  Got my target rounds from wal mart and some winchester JHP that I keep ready for HD.

I think we will give MegaSports a try, and if it works out great, and if not at least we know.  I think it will be a comfortable setting for my mom, indoor nice clean range meant for handguns.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:14:29 AM EDT
[#6]
That would be 0.50 cents a round at 15,00 a box. Buffalo Rock is 25.00 a day per person. You can shoot at the pistol range or, the plinking range. They also give you a
punch card so that after so many visits you get a freebee. You can also shoot for free on your B-day.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#7]
If you call ahead, they can tell you if there is a line.  If you are bringing your mom, it's a nice clean indoor place to shoot, she'd appreciate that.  You don't have to shoot their ammo.  What I do is buy some premium ammo to make up the difference in the discount and shoot my plinking ammo. Keep the good stuff and bring it home for self defense.  The range fee is $23.95, discounted to $17.95 if you buy $10 dollars in ammo.  Not hard to do.  I look at it as paying full price for the range and $4 for $10 ammo.  Depending what direction you are coming from, you'll have to drive an extra 30-45 minutes to get to Buffalo Rock, and they do get busy, too, on the weekend, but you can fire your rifle there.  Giving consideration to your mom, she'd probably like Mega better.  If you were on your own, had a rifle, and were with your friends, Buffalo Rock might be a nice place to head out, but remember it is outside, so it sucks if it rains...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Rinks is dirty, louder and much, much cheaper. :)

Nearby in Lockport, Archer and 143rd street.

Larry
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Thread math fail.

$15 per 50= $0.30 per round.

$19 per 50= $0.38 per round.

In comparison,

WWB FMJ 100rd value packs of .40 for $28.99 are.......$0.2899 per round.

Buy what you can at Walmart and take it. It will save you money.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the input guys!  I really did enjoy my trip to Buffalo Rock.  But I think my mom in her current state would not be as much a fan there, at least right now.  So we will give Mega Sports a try.  If she offers to buy some food, I'll look at Pom Poms.  

I have a whole box of .40 target ammo I will use, and maybe use the 'discount' to buy some more JHP HD ammo.  I have a few rounds of that, but with any ammo there is no such thing as having too much on hand.

I got all the unused targets we have from previous shooting experiences ready to go.  I'll see how these pistols do and try to get some pictures of the targets when we are done.  Mind you, I am still pretty new so I am willing to bellieve a majority of any inconsistencies will be my own.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I think you have to buy the targets they sell.
I don't think you can bring your own anymore.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Holy crap guys, 15 a box is 30 cents a round.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#13]
You have to shoot their own targets.

And what clubs are int the area that are accepting new members?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Holy crap guys, 15 a box is 30 cents a round.

AHAHAHAHHAAAAA!

Can there be such a day as when the Fudds laugh at our bad math?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
$15 for a 50 round box.  I'm bad at math.

You're looking at $0.19.9 a round or so.

Yup, I entered it in my damn calculator and it 29.9 (I used 14.99 as the numerator)

Then I typed in the answer wrong.

I'm retarded.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey hey hey!  Way to get off track!  

So the day was a good day.  Had lunch first with my mom at Pom Pom's.  She had a burger and I had some wings.  Good food, and the waitresses were really nice

I put about 60 rounds total through my SD40.  Mom put about 100 through her PT-22.  

The PT-22 will be going back on warranty... consistent malfunctions on the second to last round in the mag every time.  Other than that, though, I was impressed with the PT-22.  Pretty accurate at the intended range.  If they can figure out the malfunction it will make a great bedside gun.  I really think the tilt barrel (to avoid having to rack the slide) is a nice feature.

The SD40 was extremely smooth.  The trigger pull is short IMO and not tough at all.  All inaccuracies I can tell were me, not so much the gun.  I shot at 15', 25', 35' and 50'.   My best groups were at 35, where I had 8/10 within the approx 3" center circle.  The groups were consistent, but mostly off mark.  This makes sense because I am still learning to squeeze, not pull the trigger.  But 90+ percent of my shots were on paper at every distance with the targets purchased there.   All shots were with FMJ, mostly 180 gr purchased there with a few 165 gr I brought.  For kicks while I was there I got some more JHP for HD.  I can honestly say that I can totally trust the pistol as my beside gun (with what I have experienced so far).  I think the .40 has a nice sound with a strong but manageable kick.  My sister has the only nice camera we have in Michigan, so I will get some pictures of the targets and the gun when she gets back tomorrow or Monday.

To the topic of memberships at a club.  I now totally agree, while $20 is not "expensive," I think that if I were to go there a lot I would not be able to stand the prices.  Especially since it is primarily a pistol range.  However with regards to MegaSports, everyone there seemed to be nice and knew what they were talking about.  One guy gave my mom some constructive shooting tips.  There was one injury while we were there today though.  My mom manged to find a sharp splinter on the broom used to sweep up our brass, and got a cut on her finger.    

So I am going to look into a membership at the Newark Sportsmans Club, which is conveniently several minutes from home.  I can't remember how much it was for a year there, but I believe it was about $200-300/year.  They have an outdoor pistol and rifle range, and also frequent trap shoots.  I am going there next Saturday so I will pick up an application while I am there.

Thanks again for all the information.  This is a great forum with a LOT of knowledgeable people willing to share what they know.  I am sure as I learn more about shooting and guns that this forum will be a constant resource for me.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Rinks is dirty, louder and much, much cheaper. :)

Nearby in Lockport, Archer and 143rd street.

Larry

+1 on Rinks. i think it was $9 for the range fee when I went there last. And you can bring your own ammo!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A line?   Well would we probably be better off heading to Buffalo Rock?

14.99, how much is that per round?  And I will be using .40....

+1........Concur
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't know where you are, but Gunworld in Lombard should be on line soon. I heard their range fee will be $20 per day, but I don't know for sure. Also have no idea about ammo or targets. Aurora Sportsmans Club in Waterman is always looking for members, but I think first year will cost you about 5 bills and it is all outdoors. Again I don't have the facts at hand.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Check out their lowers they had LMTs last time I was in there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

megasport? how much were the lowers?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I would never let my mom use a pt22 as a bedside gun. I haven't seen a reliable one yet. This is also completely ignoring the fact that I would never let my mom use a 22 as a defensive pistol.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:13:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Glad your day went well. I had a PT22 and put about 400rds through it before I found a pistol of similar size and bigger caliber. Mine was 100% reliable with Federal bulk pack high velocity ammo.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bout a year ago, don't know if they still have them but I believe they were about $100. They usually have a good supply of lowers Decided on a complete lower from GAT instead, for $250.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bout a year ago, don't know if they still have them but I believe they were about $100. They usually have a good supply of lowers Decided on a complete lower from GAT instead, for $250.

$250? Is there a reason they are over 2-3 times the amount of other lowers made with the same material and finish or are they complete lowers with stock?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$250? Is there a reason they are over 2-3 times the amount of other lowers made with the same material and finish or are they complete lowers with stock?

By complete I meant stock and LPK and assembled. NOT just a stripped receiver. Granted if I shopped around I might have found it a couple bucks cheaper. It is a RR lower, I liked the finish and I have used RR products before, have had no complaints with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top