Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2010 1:40:36 PM EDT
I thought that my new job was sending me to NY and now it turns out that I am heading for Chicago. Yes, I know; poor bastard.
Anyway, I already know that I need to stay clear of Cook County.
I already know that I need to get a FOID card when I get there.

I will be working/flying out of O'Hare Airport and have been thinking of moving to somewhere in Dupage county.
Are there any local ordinances [OUTSIDE OF COOK COUNTY] that I need to know about near Naperville/ Aurora/ Glen Ellyn, etc.?
Are there any action pistol ranges/competitions nearby (IPSC, IDPA, USPSA)?
Any long distance ranges nearby? (lets say within 1hr drive)
2 or 3 gun events nearby?

Thanks,
Ryan
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Aurora has an AWB.  DO NOT MOVE THERE.

I can't think of any ordinances in Glen Ellyn or Naperville.  Definitely stay out of Cook County.  I live in Cook, not by choice.

Welcome to Illinois!

Buffalo Rock is in Ottawa, and that's where the HTF shoots are(haven't been to any shoots there yet though).  It's a big range, IIRC.  That's about an hours drive on I-80.

If you're going to be at ORD, why not move to Itasca, Wood Dale, or Elmhurst?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#2]
No good reason really. I am fairly limited to searching for apartments via internet and have not found much available in elmhurst etc. I'm in the unfortunate position that I have to arrange everything via phone and internet from my hotel room in texas and I will be moving more or less sight unseen. Couple that with a tight budget and any help/ local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Ryan
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Try Lisle, Willowbrook, Downers Grove, or Westmont.

As far as good ranges (max 100 yards) for your AR, you have Buffalo Range or Willow Slough in IN. Both are within 1 1/2 hours of you, with Willow Slough being slightly further, but hey, it's free!

Aurora Sportsmens Club holds some cool events here and there. That's within an hour of the above mentioned towns for sure.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I know apartment prices are quasi-expensive in DuPage County compared to Cook, but Naperville is pretty expensive.  If it were me working at ORD, I'd move as close as I could to the airport.

Apartments in Wood Dale area(Elk Grove Village is in Cook, IIRC)
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I lived in Elmhurst for 31 years and I loved it, but couldn't afford to purchase a house.  I do know that there is a ton of apartments, condo's and houses available for lease or rent.  You will pay for living in Elmhurst, but it is nice.
I live in Wood Dale (unincorporated and 2 miles from the airport boundary) and there is a brand new mid rise that they are desperate to fill right by the train station.  That being said, anything in DuPage county will do good for you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
You wouldn't by any chance have any contact info for the new mid rise would you?
Thanks,
Ryan
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#7]
isra.org

racine county line range in wisconsin goes out to 600 yards.

milanrifleclub.org

maywood sportsman club (skeet) is about ten minutes from wood dale.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:50:23 AM EDT
[#8]
There are lots of matches with an hour or so of the metro Chicago nearly every weekend during the warm weather months. Oak Park Sportsmen's Club in Plainfield has IDPA and USPSA matches every month. Aurora Sportsmen's Club in Waterman looks like they are gearing up to do more action shooting events. There is a 3 gun match every month in Polo, IL. There are also many monthly matches in NW Indiana and SW Michigan.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The new property is called Wood Dale Station and they do have rentals available  630-595-0672 http://www.wooddalestation.com/

Wood Dale Apartments, not as nice, but they did a renovation recently (A few blocks West of the station)
630-766-7940

Royal Oaks Apartments, Not bad at all, an they maintain the property very well. (Right at Rte. 83 and Grove- Bensenville)
630-766-6020

Rentals in Elmhurst
Houses for rent in Elmhurst

Two newspapers to check for info
Elmhurst Press
Daily Herald Covers the county
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Be sure to meet our mascot "Chalkie" He was our 2016 olympic mascot.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Working out of O'Hare, I'd think you might want to reconsider Cook County. I can show you several gun shops in Cook that carry AR's & AK's. The assault weapons ban does not blanket Cook County.  Elk Grove or Des Plaines would provide you a much better commute. What industry will you be working in, I'm in airfreight.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks all for the info.
What are the limits for the AWB? I was under the impression that it was county wide. If it's city wide, does anyone have a map of the exact limits.
I'm a new pilot for American Eagle Airlines- currently stuck in Dallas for the next 6 weeks of training.
Ryan
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#13]
For the most part, the ban effects (affects?) unincorporated areas of Cook County. But I believe there are some towns within Cook that will enforce it. Franklin Park is one of them. Des Plaines will not enforce it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Tinley Park is another that does not observe the ban.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Tinley is a bit of a drive, besides I'm sorry, but traffic sucks with all the lights down there.

There are quite a few pilots in Elmhurst and the surrounding areas.  If needs be I can dig a little deeper in the hurst tomorrow when I'm at my parents and have the paper available.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:59:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tinley Park is another that does not observe the ban.

I like Tinley Park.  I really do.  Nice community, good people(I dated a Tinley Park native).  It's in Cook County and in good conscience I would never recommend someone living in Cook County if they had to move here.

Now, if there wasn't an AWB, and high taxes, I'd say "I would move to Tinley in a heartbeat."

Edit-as Pondfly said, it IS a long commute. And the lights do suck(well, not so much in Tinley, but in Orland Park, which is just north.)  Orland Park is actually known as one of the WORST planned communities, IIRC, in the nation.  

For the sake of the OP's sanity, I'd suggest he move closer to ORD.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For the most part, the ban effects (affects?) unincorporated areas of Cook County. But I believe there are some towns within Cook that will enforce it. Franklin Park is one of them. Des Plaines will not enforce it.

This. I live in Des Plaines. I can be at O'Hare in under 10 minutes, downtown in 25 (in the rare instance there's not any traffic, like today) and Des Plaines does not enforce the AWB. There's an indoor range/gun shop 2 minutes from my house that sells ARs.

There are some nice condos and appartments in the downtown Des Plaines area, but I have no idea what they cost.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe consider north of O'hare in Lake county? Im not familiar with the rental communities up that way, but I would avoid cook county if at all possible. There just ain't no good reason to live here in Cook county.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Maybe consider north of O'hare in Lake county? Im not familiar with the rental communities up that way, but I would avoid cook county if at all possible. There just ain't no good reason to live here in Cook county.

Or even just into Kane county along the Fox Valley (except Aurora).  This puts you around 45 min from ohare and 1.5 hrs from Polo

ETA: Around the I-90 corridor will also put you within 30-45 min of Pintree pistol club
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top