Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2010 5:06:23 PM EDT
It happened to me.  All of the articles on self defense, being aware of your surroundings, and self protection came to fruition.

On August 31, 2010, I was taking out the garbage at 6 am, and five "youths," later to be revealed in their 20s came scampering out of my back yard.  I was dressed for work, meaning in a law-enforcement uniform for civilian employees (I am an accreditation manager for a police department and wear a uniform).  When most people see a police uniform, they do not differentiate between a sworn police officer (authorized to carry a gun and make an arrest) from a civilian Department member in a support role.

"Stop!" I said.  "What were you doing back there?" I asked in an authoratative tone.  

"Nothing, sir," they said as they were walking away.

"Come back here.  Let me see some ID," I said.  The ringleader produced his drivers license.  "What were you doing back there?" I asked again.

Tactically, I kept the garbage can in between me and the 5 suspects.  I was not armed and didn't even have my tactical knife with me.

The youths explained that they were in the park behind my house at the school, and were drinking.  They then saw the headlights of a police car, got spooked, and took off running.  Now, they were returning to the park, when they went into my back yard to hide or cut through, but "decided not to disrespect" my property.  The first part of the story seemed legit, but the excuse was definitely BS.

"Come on sir, let us go," they pleaded.  With the amount of car burglaries in the area, I told them, "No, I am going to call the police and have them investigate."  At that point four of the five took off westbound as I called in their location and the information.

Three police cars quickly responded.  The officers searched the one youth who I had with me, and he professed that he was not doing anything wrong.  With the police there, I checked my back yard, and there was nothing amiss.

Walking back to the police officers, I told them that I was not going to press charges, and then I turned to the offender.  "But if anything happens to my house, my cars, my family, or property, I'm coming after you.  The police have your information and you will be the first suspect."

He assured me that nothing would happen.  The police told the offender that I was being nice by not signing a complaint.  They decided to continue the investigation at the station.  He was on his way back to his car and had alcohol on his breath.

I posted this story on Facebook, and these are the responses that were posted:

"You should consider getting a large attack dog.  Make them kids think twice about their shenanigans when one gets a carotid artery ripped out."

"We would just call the coroner."

"In Indiana, we can shoot things that come on our property :)"

"You should have shot them."

"Just shoot the f*ck*rs."

"Discretion, and Kimber."

I write a newsletter twice a month for my business (selling tactical items and firearms accessories).  My articles have always stated that a firearm is the LAST line of defense, not the first.  There is a continuum of use of force, and I would not have been justified in using force against these individuals because they posed no threat to my safety or the safety of others.

To use violence for "defending" my property when they were leaving and did not destroy anything would have resulted in me going to jail.

I used discretion, and the police detained the subject for an investigation.  In my mind, I told myself that I needed a gun, but the reality of the situation was that I didn't.  Still, I would have felt better with a six-iron or a glock on my waist, but, alas, it is not allowed in Illinois...
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Wimp....I shoot at the neighborhood kids all the time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#2]
What's a yut?

Oh you mean a yoot, gotcha there Pesci
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#3]
You're allowed a firearm on your own property in Illinoize, and allowed to transport an unloaded one in a case. I'd suggest availing yourself of these (abridged) rights in the future.

While what you did 'worked', there was every chance it might not have; many on one, unarmed and in the dark is not the right way to start a confrontation. I wouldn't consider this a 'win', but rather a 'freebie'-the world taught you a lesson, and it didn't cost you.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I always thought that WHILE ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY you can carry almost as you wish.  

http://www.icarry.org/fannypack.pdf

""...except when on his land or in his abode...""

If that was my situation, and I had access to any of my firearms, I would have gladly come out with it drawn.  Probably no intentions of shooting anyone, but just to emphasise how serious I am about protecting my family and property, and just what the "....bleep...." you are doing here uninvited.

I have a holster to be delivered tomorrow that I plan to have on me from then on when I am home or working in MY YARD.

Also found this.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=096-0742

Looks like it provides that we can carry when on a neighbor's property or family member (pretty much private property where you are invited to be).
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:18:49 AM EDT
[#5]
6 ft fence

Motion lights

As a LEO A quick story about motion lights.

Working in a high profile area there was a increase in Robberies,

Boss puts us in plain clothes (Acting as decoys) We had thought we saw the suspects on a dark block. They did not know My partner and I were the police, we passed them like nothing happend. As soon as we turned the corner (Out of their sight) We both sprung into action to immeditatly set up survailence

I was cutting though a back yard, at 3-4 am sneaking my way back to the potential offenders. As quiet as I could be and before I knew it, BAM!! I set off the motion light in a backyard. Never had I felt like such a criminal in my life. IT gave away our postition, My 1st instinct was to GTFO of that property. My point is, motion lights work and Deter
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Everyone:  Thank you for your comments.  I get it.  I really do, but I am not going to strap on a .38 to walk 20 feet from my front door to my garbage cans in Buffalo Grove, which is very low crime.

Also, as a civilian police employee, if I did that, I would be called a "wannabe" or worse.  Doesn't make sense.

I do have motion lights and they did not work, because I think the kids were just out of range of them.

Finally, with the "lucky" comment...yes, I was lucky, but would you just let them run away?  I came around the corner of my house and was face to face with them.  I am not going to say, "Oh, excuse me, YOOT (thank you for correcting my pesci accent), let me get out of the way, because I would not want to impede your escape."

I tactically read the situation, and was safe.  In fact, my nickname is "TD" or "Tactical Daddy"  (Google it, and you will find out why).  If I was not, I would have retreated to a better tactical position, possibly with a weapon.    

Again, thank you for the comments.  I welcome input and disagreement.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty brave.   I have the dogs walk next to me when going out front to shut the gates at night, or take garbage out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn't mean you were 'lucky' to have been able to detain one; I meant you were lucky they didn't have more malicious intent.

AFA Buffalo Grove having low crime...that's nice. I live in a low crime area, too. I just try not use that as an actual plan.

No disrespect, but you unexpectedly encountered a superior number of trespassers, in the dark, on your own land. You can choose to do what you wish, but IMHO you just discovered a gap in your security. Again, IMHO, you were 'lucky' it didn't turn out worse.

Lary
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:09:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Agreed, Larry.  Thanks for the insight
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Everyone:  Thank you for your comments.  I get it.  I really do, but I am not going to strap on a .38 to walk 20 feet from my front door to my garbage cans in Buffalo Grove, which is very low crime.

Also, as a civilian police employee, if I did that, I would be called a "wannabe" or worse.  Doesn't make sense.

I do have motion lights and they did not work, because I think the kids were just out of range of them.

Finally, with the "lucky" comment...yes, I was lucky, but would you just let them run away?  I came around the corner of my house and was face to face with them.  I am not going to say, "Oh, excuse me, YOOT (thank you for correcting my pesci accent), let me get out of the way, because I would not want to impede your escape."

I tactically read the situation, and was safe.  In fact, my nickname is "TD" or "Tactical Daddy"  (Google it, and you will find out why).  If I was not, I would have retreated to a better tactical position, possibly with a weapon.    

Again, thank you for the comments.  I welcome input and disagreement.

No disrespect intended, but it seems to me that you chose not to be armed on your own property when a thing that just scared you "should" never happen in your neighborhood because you dont want to seem like a wannabee.
I honestly am not trying to start a fight it just seems like if you're worried about this happening again a revolver in a safe by the door for when u go to work on your yard or whatever seems like a decent idea. I dont understand how trying to be as safe as possible makes you seem  like a police wannabee.

I know id have liked to be armed in that situation. also would have given me more confidence were i to decide to tell them to stay. some people will run, others (on drugs or just hammered) might decide to do their best to put you in the hospital, and 4 or 5 to one arent the odds I'd choose    

Alex
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Valid point, Alex

I tell people, "I am not a gun nut...I am a firearms enthusiast."
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I hear what you're saying, and I would feel the exact same way, don't take me wrong.  But you're old enough to have a career, you're old enough to own your own home, and you're too damn old to worry about what other people think about you.  Wannabe?  You betcha I'm a wannabe.  I wannabe alive and see my kids again.  I wannabe safe on my own property and not get my brains kicked in by 5 morons blinded by fear and booze.  And screw anybody who has an opinion about what you do on your property with your own God-given life.  Let them face the situation you faced and see if they handle it as well as you did.  I'm with you here, so please don't take offense, none is meant, only support.

Quoted:
I tactically read the situation, and was safe.

Here's where I start to get nervous.  You were safe until one of the drunk kids tactically reads the situation and decides it's easier to try to kick your ass than it is to face his Daddy.  Then drunk young male instinct kicks in and it's 5 on 1, and those things get out of hand really fast and bad stuff happens nobody intended.  Problem is the "bad stuff" would happen to you.  I think that's what the poster above means by "lucky".  I agree.  Be safe bro, it's hard to find good people to shoot with.  :)

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#13]
So did Officer Chance, our new police dog, get to play? I've seen him at Art fest, and then ripping through a car trunk. He looks like he lives to chase.

BTW, I'm in old buffalo grove. So howdy neighbor...

RR
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks again for the comments and insight.  I guess you could say that I was ballsy and stupid.  Two of the group were actually female (so I could have gotten my ass kicked even more!).

Chance did not come out to play, Raven.  Out of curiosity, do you have a white Chevy Tahoe with an AR15 sticker?  I had a sighting of that vehicle at Arlington Heights Rd and Lake Cook, one morning at about 7 am or so.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks again for the comments and insight.  I guess you could say that I was ballsy and stupid.  Two of the group were actually female (so I could have gotten my ass kicked even more!).

Chance did not come out to play, Raven.  Out of curiosity, do you have a white Chevy Tahoe with an AR15 sticker?  I had a sighting of that vehicle at Arlington Heights Rd and Lake Cook, one morning at about 7 am or so.

Nope. There are no permanent stickers on my vehicles.

RR
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I grew up in Buffalo Grove. If I had a dollar for everytime we yard cut as kids in the 70's and 80's I'd be a wealthy man. Back then, shooting kids or detaining them wasn't an option nor was it even thought about. Yard cutting back then in BG was acceptable, people knew each other, everybody knew everybody.

I remember when people didn't lock their doors and just walked into their neighbors houses. I remember when BG had no McDonalds or post office, we had to go to Wheeling. I remember when BG road was two lanes and ended at Dundee. On the north side of BG road was an International Harvester dealer. There was one subdivision in BG, and I lived there and knew every corner of it.

I remember when BG cops were really great guys and  used to hand out baseball cards to us as we tore doen the streets on mini bikes. There were no dogs tearing peoples cars apart.

I remember in BG where you'd have to deal with a kid's father if you fucked with them, and the cops didn't get involved.

I rememebr when BG didn't suck. I wouldn't live there for anything now, it is unrecognizable to me.

30 years ago, BG didn't have civilians in support roles to the police. I remember when the police station was on Dundee rd in a white house next to the bowling alley and a store called "Cost Plus Ten" that sold obviously stolen junk.

I grew up and played football with the Weidners. Knew the Horchers well and hung out with them. I still know people there, and they hate what it has become.

I live an hour away from there now, where yard cutting is still no big deal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:06:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I always thought that WHILE ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY you can carry almost as you wish.  

If that was my situation, and I had access to any of my firearms, I would have gladly come out with it drawn.  Probably no intentions of shooting anyone, but just to emphasise how serious I am about protecting my family and property, and just what the "....bleep...." you are doing here uninvited.

I have a holster to be delivered tomorrow that I plan to have on me from then on when I am home or working in MY YARD.

Also found this.

Looks like it provides that we can carry when on a neighbor's property or family member (pretty much private property where you are invited to be).

Yeah, good luck playing open carry while mowing your lawn. If this was even attempted in BG the local "agencies" would be in their full battle rattle Cheaper Than Dirt costumes quicker then you can say "I surrender" and you would be tased, beaten, your guns will be siezed, you will be a pariah on your street, your kids will have no friends because no other parent will allow their kids at your house, DCFS will be there in all their $10 an hour Social Worker glory and you will be on the front page of the newspaper. So I hope it's worth it.

There's and old saying that you don't pull a gun on a man unless you are prepared to use it. Pulling guns on kid's in your back yard in an attempt to scare them does everything to advance anti-gun sentiment and legislation.

Keep in mind, Chicago liberal gun grabbers read this site and they just read that you intend to scare kids with guns.

If you have no need or intention to use a firearm, be a man and go out ther and confront them without weapons.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also found this.

Yeah, good luck playing open carry while mowing your lawn. If this was even attempted in BG the local "agencies" would be in their full battle rattle Cheaper Than Dirt costumes quicker then you can say "I surrender" and you would be tased, beaten, your guns will be siezed, you will be a pariah on your street, your kids will have no friends because no other parent will allow their kids at your house, DCFS will be there in all their $10 an hour Social Worker glory and you will be on the front page of the newspaper. So I hope it's worth it.

There's and old saying that you don't pull a gun on a man unless you are prepared to use it. Pulling guns on kid's in your back yard in an attempt to scare them does everything to advance anti-gun sentiment and legislation.

Keep in mind, Chicago liberal gun grabbers read this site and they just read that you intend to scare kids with guns.

I did not say I was going to scare kids with guns.  Protecting my home from tresspassers.  Gun grabbers?  I sincerely hope they never try to take mine from me.

If you have no need or intention to use a firearm, be a man and go out ther and confront them without weapons.

Take it easy please.  I live no where near BG.  I live out in the sticks.  Out here hunters walk down the road with shotguns and rifles and no one blinks an eye.  I did not say I was going to come out guns blazing.  But if I feel that having MY firearm with me on MY PROPERTY to show I am serious about protecting MY FAMILY and MY LAND, so be it.  It is my right, and I don't see any wrong doing in it.  So be it as well that they read this site.  I am sure they already know who I am anyway, even before I joined here.  I am a law abiding citizen, and have broken no laws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top