Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2010 3:16:12 AM EDT
Okay here you can post if you are interested in pursuing this. If we get enough of us I will arrange a meeting place and we can begin discussions
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:28:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in.  Most evenings and weekends I can be available for meeting except tuesdays.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I dont know where you guys are located, but I would be interested.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I dont know where you guys are located, but I would be interested.

+1
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay we have four. I'm in Schaumburg. I'll keep checking this post to give everyone a chance to respond thats interested. And then I'll see what's available in a somewhat centralized local to have a first meeting. Okay. I know I can get a meeting room at my Library. But I'm not sure you would all want to drive to Schaumburg
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When ever you get a central location, check with local VFW's.  Odds are they will let you use there space for this kind of meeting.

Good to know.  I am from Millbrook, near Plano.  Lets see where the rest of our locations fall!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't understand- what are the complaints against the FOID card?

I don't see what the problem is; its a basic screen that takes 4 weeks against prior convictions, and the mentally unstable.

Please don't flame. Honestly curious.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't see what the problem is; its a basic screen that takes 4 weeks against prior convictions, and the mentally unstable.

Turns a Right into a privilege. Duplicates NICS. Just another tax source of revenue for the State. And other issues for out of state'ers.

I fear they will say it's a State's Rights issue if brought before SCOTUS and we'll be stuck with the FOID and possibly have it strengthened (bad for us).
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Redundancy for the sake of turning a buck.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.  The part that grinds my gears is no other state has it, and if it expires, there's a delay on the card coming, etc... you are suddently a felon for not having a piece of plastic.  A piece of plastic that is required to exersise your right.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.  The part that grinds my gears is no other state has it, and if it expires, there's a delay on the card coming, etc... you are suddently a felon for not having a piece of plastic.  A piece of plastic that is required to exersise your right.

Massachusetts has a "FID" card.  I think a few others out that way do the same.  Either way, we are not in good company.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Its a basic consitutional interpretation case (I mean basic in the sense of infringing on rights)  However, given that prior suits, Im sure have been brought regarding this same issue,  this case would require a LOT of research regarding the intent of the framers and in what way the FOID card violates that intent and rights.. Just something to think about before everyone gets too excited about this.  Odds are this would be a case that would make its way up the ladder of courts, would be very time consuming and expensive.  Just a guess.  If you guys are really serious about doing this, I would suggest we meet up somewhere and try to set up a webcam or something for others that cannot make it, discuss topics for research (such as current precedent and the intent of the framers), do research, compile the research and take it to a lobbying orginazation as previously mentioned.  I think they would be more willing to file suit IF there was already research done and organized in a manner that would make it easier for them to file a complaint.
Im not trying to bust any balls on this, Im just giving everyone a realistic view of how much work this will be and it could all be for nothing.
I hope you guys still want to do this, I know I do.

Im in Carbondale, for reference on meeting up or anything.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Its a basic consitutional interpretation case (I mean basic in the sense of infringing on rights)  However, given that prior suits, Im sure have been brought regarding this same issue,  this case would require a LOT of research regarding the intent of the framers and in what way the FOID card violates that intent and rights.. Just something to think about before everyone gets too excited about this.  Odds are this would be a case that would make its way up the ladder of courts, would be very time consuming and expensive.  Just a guess.  If you guys are really serious about doing this, I would suggest we meet up somewhere and try to set up a webcam or something for others that cannot make it, discuss topics for research (such as current precedent and the intent of the framers), do research, compile the research and take it to a lobbying orginazation as previously mentioned.  I think they would be more willing to file suit IF there was already research done and organized in a manner that would make it easier for them to file a complaint.
Im not trying to bust any balls on this, Im just giving everyone a realistic view of how much work this will be and it could all be for nothing.
I hope you guys still want to do this, I know I do.

Im in Carbondale, for reference on meeting up or anything.

Be careful......I like the way you think. And may vote to put you in charge.......I agree with let's not get too excited. And research the hell out of this. I don't want this to result in a law worse than what we have allready
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm compiling a list of everyone's local. I'll mark local's on a map and find the central point and begin searching for a suitable spot. Lets let this run thru the next 4 or 5 day's okay.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Please add Aurora, IL to your friendly forces disposition overlay.
I can also provide assistance with research.

v/r

Ray
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I am absolutely in agreement on not getting to excited.  I just think it is something worth pursuing.  I think the FOID card is right up there with no conceal carry or no open carry allowances.  In my eyes, it blatantly violates a right.  I am not saying I want go wild west, but I think I should be able to bring a defensive tool with me anywhere I go.  It's just redaunculous that we have to jump through hoops to do so.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#17]
bump
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm in I'm by Aurora.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Elgin here
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Okay Thursday I throw the map on the table. And do my best at orienteering........Which is a fancy way of explaining why I came out of the woods so far from the truck
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Small highjack, but what would it take to get the state to accept it as acceptable identification, ie the DMV not recognizing it etc?

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Small highjack, but what would it take to get the state to accept it as acceptable identification, ie the DMV not recognizing it etc?  

I think an issue with that, is it would give more power to the FOID.  As it stands it is an insignificant piece of plastic that is the difference between being a felon or not.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Elgin here

Me to......
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#24]
One of my main complaints of the FOID is that in America you are innocent until proven guilty.  In Illinois when arrested for something the cops can take away your FOID card.  Essentially they take away your second amendment right with out you being proven guilty or any kind of trial or defending your position.  

A friend of mine was defending himself in a bar fight.  The cops arrested every one involved.  At this time they took my friends FOID card.  A few months later after all the dust settled, and he wasn't found to be in any wrong, his FOID was given back.  

It isn't right that a state can take away your means to a fundamental right.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
One of my main complaints of the FOID is that in America you are innocent until proven guilty.  In Illinois when arrested for something the cops can take away your FOID card.  Essentially they take away your second amendment right with out you being proven guilty or any kind of trial or defending your position.  

A friend of mine was defending himself in a bar fight.  The cops arrested every one involved.  At this time they took my friends FOID card.  A few months later after all the dust settled, and he wasn't found to be in any wrong, his FOID was given back.  

What if you refuse to give up your FOID?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Okay I'm gettin the map out this week probably tommorow. And than I'll start to find a meeting place.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't want to find out in this state
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't want to find out in this state

What happened to your friend is one of the main things wrong with the Foid. Second amendmant right's suspended while the court try's to prove you guilty of something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top