Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2009 12:30:03 PM EDT
Lets say i go to Rink's and tell them to order me a mosin nagant from AIM surplus, how much will they charge me to order this for me. What percentage will they add on?  Also, do they generally have AK47s in stock, and if so, how much do they range in price
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]
An anecdote that might give you an idea:

I went in and asked them to order me a PSL, advertised at the time by AIM for $699.99.  They initially quoted me $950 after looking in "their book."  I then said I can order them from AIM for $700, to which they replied if they were available at that price, it would be $850.  I've bought rifles and had them shipped before, so I know the shipping cost is less than $20, so they effectively wanted $130 for the transfer - and the kicker is, I would be buying "from" them which means I'd be paying tax on that!

I honestly would have paid $50 for a transfer, but they seem set on "10% of the gun's cost" as the price.  Well, I know for a fact that it doesn't matter if I buy a $50 Jennings .22 or a $15,000 H&K PSG1, the amount of work for a dealer doing the transfer is the SAME.  Same form, same phone call, same amount of time.  How does it matter what I purchased?  I understand they think they are "losing" a sale with a transfer, but that's not the case.  I have an AUG and Accuracy International inbound right now, neither of which they could order and get for me in the same time frame or at a competitive price.  It's their perogative to not do transfers, and that's fine, I'm using an FFL that charges $25 per gun.  But because of their attitude, I won't shop there or use their range at all, so they are losing out. As you can see, I have no compunction about spreading the word about them, and based on the two rifles I have in-bound right now, you can also see I buy both frequently and nice stuff.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]
that sucks.  Up until now, I had heard some good things about them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have given them several tries based on some of the less negative reviews on this board, but I've never had what I would call a good encounter.  The best way to explain my impression is to say I get the sense they feel they have a captive market and can do what they want - best evidenced by the story above.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't use them for a transfer, but I have found several good deals there through the years. For example, several years ago, I noticed a S&W 4" revolver in the case. I asked to see it and realized it was an old M15 Combat Masterpiece in .38 spl. The finish left much to be desired, but mechanically, it was in great shape. I wound up getting it for $150. It turned out to be made in 1956 and it's a great shooter.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:43:21 AM EDT
[#6]
This has been posted so many times this should be added in the sticky's

Here you go!
Gunbroker.com find a local FFL by zip code

I was able to find a guy less than 5 miles away from my front door and He still does transfers for $20.

General guideline's:
Check with the FFl's before ordering a firearm and make sure the price has not been changed. Also confirming in advance of ordering something to make sure all's still good with the FFL is a very smart practice. They might be registered at the place your ordering from and might be able to get you a sweeter deal.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:13:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Rinks charges way to much,go on gun broker and find the guy in 60453...he charges $20
I will never shop at rinks again now because of what they did to my buddy. He bought an AK from them awile back,about 3 months later we were shotting it out at his farm & the bolt locked back,we couldnt get it unjammed so he brought it back in....they told him the reciever twisted & it was junk,they said throw it away...then they offered him $50.00 for it. Well a few weeks ago a guy he works with fixed it for him,it was nothing more then a pin on the piston system that came loose locking the piston all the way back.
They are scammers in there,i used to like rinks up until a few weeks ago!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This has been posted so many times this should be added in the sticky's

Here you go!
Gunbroker.com find a local FFL by zip code

I was able to find a guy less than 5 miles away from my front door and He still does transfers for $20.

General guideline's:
Check with the FFl's before ordering a firearm and make sure the price has not been changed. Also confirming in advance of ordering something to make sure all's still good with the FFL is a very smart practice. They might be registered at the place your ordering from and might be able to get you a sweeter deal.

OOOO.... I LIKE  this will make it all too easy to fuel my addiction
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#9]
i use rinks for the range only. you cant beat $9, even though the range is quite crappy. i do agree that rinks and mega dont want to do transfers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i use rinks for the range only. you cant beat $9, even though the range is quite crappy..

You forgot to mention 50 degrees below zero also!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#12]
A few on that link are either dead or out of business, It's really old info. Dad's Sports has been OOB for a few years. That T&D Sports is a shyster.We had a deal on a transfer a few years ago for 30. When I went in to fill out the paperwork, it was 30 for under 500, 65 for 500-1000, 15% for anything valued at over 1000.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I use Mike Sipes from that link... a good guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top