Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2009 8:22:15 AM EDT
Is there, or is there not, a waiting period in Illinois for rifles?
Some shops make you wait until next day, others, a full 24-hour period, others hand over the rifle immediately.  What’s the law on this?
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#1]
A full 24-hour period
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A full 24-hour period

this

Does Illinois have a waiting period for firearm purchases and does it apply to private sales?
Yes. Illinois law requires withholding the delivery of a concealable weapon (i.e. a handgun) for at least 72 hours and a rifle, shotgun, or other long gun for at least 24 hours. This applies for gun dealers and private sales.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#3]
That's what I though. Thanks.

BTW: Last BSG tonight!  Its going to be crazy.  And I'm getting a new gas-piston AR today, thats what I call a damn good evening..
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's what I though. Thanks.

BTW: Last BSG tonight!  Its going to be crazy.  And I'm getting a new gas-piston AR today, thats what I call a damn good evening..

What kind of gas-piston AR?  Give a review after you shoot it.  

That new Sig 556 looks goooodd.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#5]
72 hour wait on handguns and 24 hours on long guns. This also applies to FTF transfers between private parties too.

Link Posted: 3/22/2009 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I love it when everyone posts the correct answer! 5 years ago you'd have gotten 3 different answers and 2 I don't knows!

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love it when everyone posts the correct answer! 5 years ago you'd have gotten 3 different answers and 2 I don't knows!

20 years ago it was not that uncommon for gun dealers to ignore the 24 hour waiting period on long guns simply because no one cared.

And until a few years ago, it was wrongly assumed by virtually everyone that private transfers did not incur the waiting periods. I would bet even today many private transfers ignore the waiting period because few people realize it applies.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Since npd is so happy, I'll throw in that the state does not hold FFLs to the hour, just to toss in at least SOME controversy.

Also, if you buy a long gun in a neighboring free state (no wait), Illinois law applies to you (must wait).
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I picked up this rifle: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=433947  

Its a nice one!  I'll be up a McMiller range again with it this coming weekend if the weather allows.

QUESTION: When does the "wait" period start?  Upon "order & payment" for the gun, or after the insta-check is run?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top