Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2008 3:54:42 PM EDT
Why is Senator Durbin blocking HR 6842, the bill to enforce the Supreme Court’s verdict outlawing restrictive gun bans for law abiding citizens of Washington D.C? Senator Durbin says  "Bill (HR 6842) would take away the authority of the city to write its own laws.", but he is blocking the Constitutional rights of D.C. residents and undermining the Supreme Court.

What if D.C. was taking away free speech rights? What if D.C. was trying to segregate the schools? Would Senator Durbin stand for that? I call out for Illinois voters to take a stand against Senator Durbin. Let him know how displeased you are in his leadership.

So does Steve Sauerberg have a chance to beat Durbin in Nov?

www.allenskillicorn.com

Link Posted: 10/1/2008 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Sooner or later someone has to say it.  We do not have a problem with our elected officials in Illinois.

We have a problem with the f*cktards who vote.

I believe it was Vaclav Havel who said it best:  We got totalitarianism because we demanded totalitarianism.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Chicago would make a great 51st state.
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Chicago would make a great 51st state.

But..... I thought there were already 57 states?
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 1:47:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Turbin is in for life in Illannoy. The scary thing is that should BHO win, Blago gets to appoint our next senator, who will be another senator for life (unless he/she is beaten by another democrat). Imagine the power Blago has with that appointment. He can give someone one of the 100 second most coveted jobs in politics, for free. Many have spent tens of millions of their own money, to be a senator, and lost. With a stroke of his pen he will appoint some lefty to be senator, for life, for free!

It's true the majority get the government they deserve. I no longer wonder how far the Dems will have to run IL into the ground before people realize that one (corrupt) party rule doesn't work, there is no bottom. As much as I despise Daley, once he dies, five years later Chicago will look like Detroit!

Our license plate motto should be "It's a sorry state of affairs in Illannoy."
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#6]
The trouble is that it is not only Illannoy...Our whole country is swirling the drain because of the a$$hats in government.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Dick Turbin does exactly what he is suppost to do. Let's face it, the man stood on the steps of the state capital 3 years ago and said to the country's illegals "come to Illinois, we will embrace you." He's a liberial senator in one of the country's most liberial states. The thing I can't get over is the fact that Illinois.Chicago.gov is so corrupt, we can't get rid of the dog shit that stinks so much. The good downstate folks of Illinois are fucked.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Part of the problem is ACORN (voting 2 or 3 times) and dead people voting.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Part of the problem is ACORN (voting 2 or 3 times) and dead people voting.

I saw another problem with the voting here.. Back at the primaries...as i turned in my R ticket to the machine,it went right in. My father then turned in his D ticket (He was voting to take votes away from people) the machine sucked his ballot in and spit it out about 3 times...the lady came over and fed in in another 5 times before it did not spit it out anymore. I & my father sat and watched every R ballot go right in & every D ballot get spit out & sucked back in 5-7 times each. After watching this for about 10 minutes i went up and asked the lady how the machines work,she told me they count the votes as they enter the machine. I then asked if it was counting them everytime it spit them back out...she said "probably,theres something wrong with the machines today" Then she walked away to tend to someone at a table. I called and wrote the ST about it,posted a few blogs,emailed a few newscasters...no one seemed to care.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Durbin wrote me back

Durbin:
October 14, 2008

Mr. Allen xxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Mr. Allen xxxxxxxx:

Thank you for your message regarding the District of Columbia's local gun laws. I appreciate hearing from you.

The District's handgun ordinances limited who could license and carry a handgun. They also required any lawfully owned firearm to be either disassembled or secured with a trigger lock.

In June 2008, the U.S. Supreme Court handed down its decision in District of Columbia v. Heller. This case was brought by a resident of D.C. who alleged that the District's gun restrictions were unconstitutional. The Supreme Court ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm. The Court struck down D.C.'s ban on handguns and the requirement that guns be stored with a trigger lock.

The decision recognized that "like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited," and listed several categories of restrictions that are presumptively constitutional. These categories included prohibitions on concealed carry and prohibitions on the possession of a firearm in schools and government buildings.

The Mayor of D.C., members of the City Council, and the District's Congressional representative are working to implement rules for the District that protect residents and visitors in D.C. while complying with the Supreme Court's decision in Heller. I believe that the elected representatives of the District of Columbia are in the best position to know and understand the needs of the District, and they should be allowed to determine for themselves the policies that govern their homes, streets, neighborhoods, and workplaces.

The District has a major gun violence problem, largely as a result of a steady flow of handguns into the city from nearby states with more lenient gun control laws. According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 97 percent of all guns used in crime in the city originated outside the District. Some 59 percent of guns used criminally in the District are traceable to Virginia and Maryland.

There are 300 million people in our country and more than 200 million firearms. I am not against Americans owning and safely selling or buying firearms, but I do believe that reasonable gun safety legislation can significantly reduce the likelihood that innocent children and adults will be the victims of gun violence.

Thank you again for your message. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Sincerely,                  

Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

www.allenskillicorn.com

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Chicago

Years since the Cubs won the World Series – 100
Years since the since honest city government – 137

Two streaks to be proud of.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#12]
My form letter reply from Durbin  in Feb when I asked him why he didn't sign the
Amicus for Heller

I am not against the possession of guns. Americans are entitled to own and use guns in a responsible fashion. Strong penalties for violent crimes involving firearms should be part of any effort to reduce gun violence. I have consistently supported tough crime control and prevention initiatives since coming to Congress.

Enforcing our nation's existing gun control laws must remain a high priority. I support efforts that address illegal possession and use of firearms. Common sense restrictions such as the Brady Law and the Assault Weapons Ban are supported by law enforcement officials who must patrol our streets. These laws help protect people from crime and violence without infringing on legitimate hunting and sporting uses of firearms.

I will continue to support efforts that help ensure our nation's gun laws are vigorously enforced. Thank you once again for contacting me.

Please feel free to stay in touch.
Sincerely,

Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:05:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Nice, brief, to the point.

As far as beating Dick Turban? I don't think enough fecal material has been amassed yet to endanger his position, and he's probably hoping to ride the Obamessiah's coattails to another term.

Worthless POS.

ETA - Almost worthless. He'd probably do OK as worm food... if they could digest him.

He IS THE WORM

eats shit for a living and deposits his digestive tract products across the land of Lincoln
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#14]
People are so stupid in this state.  They don't even research the people they are voting for, and that is easier than ever now with the internet.  They blindly vote name recognition or straight party tickets, especially the liberals.

Sen. Durbin has done absolutely nothing for the state of Illinois, and Sen. Obama hasn't either.  Durbin supports illegal aliens, banning guns, high taxes on those that create the jobs in this country, and liberal judges.

The last time I looked, the most that the two Senators have brought back to Illinois, has been about 87 cents for every federal income tax dollar we sent to Washington, and in some years, if I remember correctly, we got only in the 70 something cent range.  We have lost tens of billions of dollars to other states since Durbin, Obama, the RINO Fitzgerald, Mosley-Braun, and Paul Simple Simon have been representing us in the US Senate.  

We have built roads, bridges, courthouses, etc. for other states, with OUR money, while the do-nothing Senators, Durbin and Obama work on the wrong side of social issues, like immigration, gun ownership, special rights for special interest groups, etc.

I wish more people would write editorials and the National GOP would spend more here, but I'm as much to blame, because I haven't written anything to a paper in awhile either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top