Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2008 8:01:35 AM EDT
I bought a new Classic IPOD 80G, and I need some advice for some of the accessories I'm looking at.

First of all, I'm going to get myself a docking station for the shop.  I have to have tunes and I was thinking about the Bose docking station.  Do any of you know, heard, have any experience, or advice on this unit?  I do have a budget, but I'm open for thoughts and suggestions.  I like nice things, and I'm not afraid to pay a little extra for the nicer setup - but I do have a budget.

Second, the FM transmitters are getting horrible reviews and I was wondering if anybody has any information on them and would you suggest a brand or model?

Thoughts and advice would be great.  If any of you are in the Peoria area, and don't mind me checking out your setups, I would also appreciate that.

Take care, thanks in advance.
Bob
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi Bob, try running a google search on the Bose unit. I did and found quite a few good reviews on it. The only negative I could see is that the remote is near credit card size and could easily be lost.   Good luck....
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#2]
For the FM transmitter, I would suggest a JLO, the one I have plugs into your 12 volt and then into the Ipod, it transmits and charge. $80.00 at Best Buy. I wouldn't get a wireless transmitter.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
go to walmart they have all kinds of ipod stuff
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
For the FM transmitter, I would suggest a JLO, the one I have plugs into your 12 volt and then into the Ipod, it transmits and charge. $80.00 at Best Buy. I wouldn't get a wireless transmitter.

It's still a wireless transmitter, but may work better than others because it shares a common ground with the car.

The best way to go is probably a wired (installed) FM modulator.
You would end up with a jack to plug the audio into, and a switch to cut the unit in and out of the antenna cable.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have any recommendation for the all-in-one home/office setup.  As far as the car setup goes, I wouldn't bother with the FM modulator.  There are plenty of wired solutions for both stock and aftermarket systems.  They tend to charge the iPod as well as display track information through the stereo display.  FM modulators are nothing but a disappointment in my experience.  Even if you didn't get one of the wired solutions, you might have RCAs that you could run a wire directly from the iPod to that AUX input.  It wouldn't display that track info or charge, but its simple and cheap.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:26:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Damn, they have already come out with a "classic" IPOD? Man I am so out of touch, thank God for my kids when it comes to this stuff. If IPOD's are already becoming "classics" I am really screwed, I've never even worked one. LOL! I am still amazed by that new fancy CD technology.

Thank God for youth or we'd all be listening to Meatloaf on 8 Track
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Damn, they have already come out with a "classic" IPOD? Man I am so out of touch, thank God for my kids when it comes to this stuff. If IPOD's are already becoming "classics" I am really screwed, I've never even worked one. LOL! I am still amazed by that new fancy CD technology.

Thank God for youth or we'd all be listening to Meatloaf on 8 Track

Funny thing is I just thought the one I was buying was just another model name - I didn't know there was other besides that Nano, Shuffle, or the Touch.  I would have gotten the touch if it had more memory.

And Meatloaf will find their way into my Classic - Bat out of Hell was a good album!  Of course Disturbed, Korn, and all the classic rock from the late 50's and up will find it's way there.  Sorry if this offends, but Country will not.  Neither will Rap.  I couldn't build my guns in that kind of misery.

Bob
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
but Country will not.  
Bob

Nothing like building guns and listening to George Jones, Johnny Cash!

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#9]
The Bose unit sounds great, but very pricey.  Every FM modulator I have tried has sucked.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
but Country will not.  
Bob

Nothing like building guns and listening to George Jones, Johnny Cash!

"Call him drunken Ira Hayes....he won't answer anymore.....not the whiskey drinking Indian....or the Marine that went to war."
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not a big fan of the Bose stuff...tends to be pricey.  I do like my iHome system.  AM/FM Clock radio, in addition to the docking station.  

FM Transmitters....don't know much.  My car has a line-in headphone jack :)
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#12]
My answer depends upon how much of an audiophile you are.

If you demand really good sound, a docking station will not do, and I can recommend a few places you can get a good shelf unit for less than $200, or just get good computer speakers, and use the 1/8" jack on your Ipod. I would recommend any of the X series from Creative.

If the quality of the sound isn't so much a factor, the docking stations will do, but I would not recommend the Bose unit, as you are really just paying for a name.  I would recommend a Creative unit, as they do have very good sound for less money than a comparable Bose unit,  or really any one else for that matter.

I don't work for Creative, I have just bought a lot of different brands of small speakers and they seem to have the best for the price.

If you said budget wasn't a concern, I'd recommend some of the equipment I have on my home stereo, or the Milwaukee job site radio that Rockford-Fosgate makes, but it is probably more than you want to spend.

Good luck,
Joe.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep in mind this is to be used in the shop.  I have dremmels, blasting cabinet, compressors, buffing, and belt sanders going all the time.  The shop is a 18' by 30' area, so it isn't that big.  I just want loud and clear, and to be able to hear the music over the sounds of my shop.

I bought an fm tuner that had good reviews.  I guess you have to tune them occasionally since the radio fights for the signal.

I'll check into the docking stations mentioned.  I have the ipod now and it's pretty cool.  I have all my website pictures on it, and I'm currently moving my CD's to the unit.  WOW is that slow.

I'm on 1200 songs now and plenty of space left.

Take care, thanks for the advice.
Bob
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Do Dywer and Michaels have a podcast?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Bob,

I have the Bose sound dock and an FM transmitter in one of my cars but not the other.  The Bose sound dock is pricey but I have not been dissapointed at all by the sound.  And when you bring up the volume, it does not distort but remains clean.  The remote is a little to simple in my opinion.  But I'm assuming your just going to let it play since you'll be busy in the shop.  It'll charge your Ipod as well.  It includes multiple docking adapters for different Ipods so you shouldn't have any problems finding one that'll fit.  I found mine on craigs list for about 2/3 of the typical price.

FM transmitters have been hit and miss with me.  I had the best luck with the DLO transdock but you could still hear static in the background.  When you drove through areas with a large amount of transmissions, I would get static and garbled sounds. I purchased a USA Spec aux connector which plugged into my CD changer input on the back of my receiver.  Had to purchase a Haynes auto service manual to do that.

Hope this helps
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top