Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2007 1:02:05 PM EDT
Since when is a fillet knife a dangerous knife?  When was this stupid law enacted?

this is a dangerous knife in IL

Unbelievable!
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If thats the case, I have a tackle box, and kitchen full of illegal knives.

Link Posted: 11/22/2007 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe anything with a blade longer than 3.5 inches is considered illegal to carry.  I think double edge knives are also illegal - like a boot knife.

It isn't illegal though, to have switchblades, swordes, butterfly, stillheto, and other "illegal" knives.  It's just illegal to carry them on your person in public.  You can collect them, but not transport them.  So, it is ok to buy one, but you can't take it home legally.

Stupid eh?
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Odd... I think they sell that one at the Gurnee store...

Maybe more Madigan mail order restrictions due to the possibility of vending to "unsavory characters"...
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I believe anything with a blade longer than 3.5 inches is considered illegal to carry. /quote]

Only if used in the commission of a felony.   The blade length just adds time to your sentence if convicted.  There is no state statute against carrying a knife no matter what the length of blade might be.   There are quite a few local ordinances covering this though.

Link Posted: 11/22/2007 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 3:24:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 If it's fun, you need an ID in Illinois.  

Truer words were never spoken.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I believe anything with a blade longer than 3.5 inches is considered illegal to carry.  I think double edge knives are also illegal - like a boot knife.

It isn't illegal though, to have switchblades, swordes, butterfly, stillheto, and other "illegal" knives.  It's just illegal to carry them on your person in public.  You can collect them, but not transport them.  So, it is ok to buy one, but you can't take it home legally.

Stupid eh?

Mostly wrong, important parts in red.  This is state law, some municipalities/counties may have stricter laws.

(720 ILCS 5/24‑1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24‑1)
   Sec. 24‑1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
   (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
       (1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries any bludgeon, black‑jack,                  slung‑shot, sand‑club, sand‑bag, metal knuckles, throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material or compressed gas; or

(2) Carries or possesses with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle or other piece of glass, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character

From 720 ILCS 5/33A-1:

A Category II weapon is any other rifle, shotgun, spring gun, other firearm, stun gun or taser as defined in paragraph (a) of Section 24-1 of this Code, knife with a blade of at least 3 inches in length, dagger, dirk, switchblade knife, stiletto, axe, hatchet, or other deadly or dangerous weapon or instrument of like character. As used in this subsection (b) "semiautomatic firearm" means a repeating firearm that utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round and that requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.

The "at least 3 inches" only matters if you are being charged with Armed Violence.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stupid eh?

Mostly wrong, important parts in red.  This is state law, some municipalities/counties may have stricter laws.

(1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or carries any bludgeon, black‑jack,                  slung‑shot, sand‑club, sand‑bag, metal knuckles, throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material or compressed gas; or

(2) Carries or possesses with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle or other piece of glass, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character

From 720 ILCS 5/33A-1:

A Category II weapon is any other rifle, shotgun, spring gun, other firearm, stun gun or taser as defined in paragraph (a) of Section 24-1 of this Code, knife with a blade of at least 3 inches in length, dagger, dirk, switchblade knife, stiletto, axe, hatchet, or other deadly or dangerous weapon or instrument of like character. As used in this subsection (b) "semiautomatic firearm" means a repeating firearm that utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round and that requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.

The "at least 3 inches" only matters if you are being charged with Armed Violence.

Then what is wrong with Bass Pro Shops?
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Then what is wrong with Bass Pro Shops?

I'm gonna go with Chicago for the win.

From Chicago municipal code:

8-24-020  Carrying dangerous weapons.

No person shall carry concealed on or about his person a pistol, revolver, derringer or other firearm or dagger, dirk, stiletto, bowie knife, commando knife, any blade of which is released by a spring mechanism, including knives known as "switch-blades" or any other type or kind of knife, any blade of which is more than two and one-half inches in length, ordinary razor or other dangerous weapon except that no person 18 years of age or under shall carry concealed on or about his person, any knife, the blade of which is two inches in length or longer.

If they aren't basing their decision on that, then I have no clue what they are thinking.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 11:19:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Pretty soon there will be restrictions and tax on jerking off in Illinois.

Link Posted: 11/25/2007 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty soon there will be restrictions and tax on jerking off in Illinois.

LOL - its so true - ever think about it?  For individuals, you have Fed and State income tax, if you own a house you've got property tax...don't get me started on the vagaries of business licenses and taxes...do the math, you don't take very much home at all...lol...end of rant. We are still better of in the USA though, that's for sure.    I mean look at the french...they have to riot to get anything done lol

Link Posted: 11/25/2007 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stupid eh?

From 720 ILCS 5/33A-1:

Hmmmmm, interesting.  I was under the impression (as I've been told by many) that you may collect them as - Purely HYPOTHETICAL - I would have a few swords, daggers, switchblades, butterfly, and so on in my private collection.

My apologies for putting false information out there, I was obviously wrong.

Does this mean that the Kershaw "Ken Onion" spring assisted knife that I carry all the time is illegal?  It doesn't have a button you push but a lever on the blade to operate the assist.  From what was posted, it sounds like a no no.

Bob
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 5:09:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hmmmmm, interesting.  I was under the impression (as I've been told by many) that you may collect them as - Purely HYPOTHETICAL - I would have a few swords, daggers, switchblades, butterfly, and so on in my private collection.

My apologies for putting false information out there, I was obviously wrong.

Does this mean that the Kershaw "Ken Onion" spring assisted knife that I carry all the time is illegal?  It doesn't have a button you push but a lever on the blade to operate the assist.  From what was posted, it sounds like a no no.

Bob

The only knives banned outright by IL law are ballistic knives and "switchblades".  The Key phrase on switchblade knives is:

which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife

The most important part, and the reason why spring assist knives are completely legal, is in blue.

Balisongs, swords, daggers and nearly any other knife excluding those operated by a button in the handle are perfectly legal per state law.

Don't feel bad.  Plenty of my fellow officers don't understand the knife laws in IL.

Plenty of guys in IL collect autos and never have a problem but it is illegal.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stupid eh?

From 720 ILCS 5/33A-1:

Ok, so reading that gives me the impression that an asp baton would be legal if not considered a bludgeon?

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Dam state!  Ok my kid (14 yo) who is in the boy scouts and should have his eagle badge in a few months has an official boy scout knife he carries around and the blade is a little bit longer than 3" so I can tell in shitcago it would be illegal for him to have it, but in the rest of the state is it legal for him to have/carry?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There isn't a state ban against buying that knife.  I believe it's an age restriction that makes it a "restricted sale" item.  Bass Pro can sell it at the store because they can check ID to make sure you are 18 or older.

I believe most big box stores will card you to purchase a knife anymore, as well as spray paint, acetone, paint thinner, brake cleaner, etc.

If it's fun, you need an ID or it's illegal in Illinois.

Fixed.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ok, so reading that gives me the impression that an asp baton would be legal if not considered a bludgeon?

MY opinion is that an ASP is not a bludgeon, but a baton.  

The main issue anyone will have when in possession of an item that falls into the grey area is how it was being used.

A screwdriver is a screwdriver unless you are a convicted burglar nowhere near your home in the middle of the night and someone calls because they think you are breaking into their car.  At that point your screwdriver is a burglary tool.

If you read the UUW statute very few items are banned outright, but lots of weapons are eligible for UUW charges if used illegaly against another.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#19]
the local wal marts are stocked full of ilegal knives.  so are any stores that carry cooking, camping and sportsman knives.  we really need to get the illinois government out of its power, and vote in someone who has a brain.  the scarcrow will suffice.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stupid eh?

From 720 ILCS 5/33A-1:

ASP's are illegal to carry?  I may or may not have one that I carry at night while walking to and fro campus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top