Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2007 5:49:20 AM EDT
I have all the parts to make an AR, but need someone to put it together.  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It is pretty easy I did one first time in about an hour,  don't forget to put the small spring in the trigger(bigger side down/tension fit)   also the hammer spring in the picture is not correct... look at the picture then take the spring off and turn it clockwise 180 degrees... just one thing that I noticed that was not properly oriented in the pic..
No experience with the upper.
good luck..
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Having the proper tools is a must and a copy of the Marine Corp tech manual for armorers and experimenting with one of my own rifles learned how to do it.I was eager to do it for one to save money and with parts on hand the lowest down time for parts repalcement or repairs.Think of how costly it would be to have to run to a smith everytime you upgraded or changed things out..

Now counting friends and my self ive assembeld 4 complete rifles and have installed every part of the rifle at one time or another,god knows how many times.Once you start building you really start to see the logic and modularity of the system that was way ahead of its time.I think its the perfect weapon designed around standard sub assemblies and ease of maintienece and parts replacement...I love it and appreciate it even more than I did when I was a just a shooter/maintainer.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Having the proper tools is a must and a copy of the Marine Corp tech manual for armorers and experimenting with one of my own rifles learned how to do it.I was eager to do it for one to save money and with parts on hand the lowest down time for parts repalcement or repairs.Think of how costly it would be to have to run to a smith everytime you upgraded or changed things out..

Now counting friends and my self ive assembeld 4 complete rifles and have installed every part of the rifle at one time or another,god knows how many times.Once you start building you really start to see the logic and modularity of the system that was way ahead of its time.I think its the perfect weapon designed around standard sub assemblies and ease of maintienece and parts replacement...I love it and appreciate it even more than I did when I was a just a shooter/maintainer.

I totally agree. Wher in MA are you at?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll echo everyone's DIY response. It's great!

However, to answer your original question, "Who"?, I would be willing to assemble it for you, if you pay shipping both ways. I have all the correct tools and have built several for myself, family, and friends if you decide not to do it yourself. Also, several vendors here offer this service. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the 'AR-15  Complete Assembly Guide' by Walt Kuleck & Clint McKee

however everything you need and a couple of real neat tricks (even ole Walt did not mention)...you wil find right here
on that link to the "build it yourself' forum...

Take a shot at the lower first...you might find it a lot of fun...on a rainy (or soon enough) snowy weekend...
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
It is pretty easy I did one first time in about an hour,  don't forget to put the small spring in the trigger(bigger side down/tension fit)   also the hammer spring in the picture is not correct... look at the picture then take the spring off and turn it clockwise 180 degrees... just one thing that I noticed that was not properly oriented in the pic..
good luck..

The hammer spring in that picture is installed properly.

Negative, you better look at it again,  also look in your rifle... needs to be turned clockwise 180
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
good luck..

Negative, you better look at it again,  also look in your rifle... needs to be turned clockwise 180

Okay,  the spring can be rotated counter-clockwise to put it in the proper position,  this photo could be confusing , rotating the spring would show it in a proper "attitude" for installation.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
good luck..

You might want to check yours if it isn't installed like the one in the pic...
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
also the hammer spring in the picture is not correct... look at the picture then take the spring off and turn it clockwise 180 degrees...

kevinholman.com/host/1.JPGkevinholman.com/host/2.JPGkevinholman.com/host/3.JPGkevinholman.com/host/4.JPG

Apology accepted.    now that's the picture that should be in that layout... It confused me when I was installing it.  But got it right just the same... thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have all the parts to make an AR, but need someone to put it together.  Any help would be appreciated.

What city are you in?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll do it for you, no charge.  Where are you located?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#15]
WEST996 my wife and I rent from her mom in middleboro MA.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
WEST996 my wife and I rent from her mom in middleboro MA.

I'm in Weymouth.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 5:17:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm in Downers Grove.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#18]
check your hometown forum, chances are you can find someone that will help you put it together. they aren't that hard really.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#19]
In case you decide to take a shot at it yourself: Assemble your own.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Take a shot at it yourself, it's not that hard.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Take a shot at it yourself, it's not that hard.

And it will be more rewarding, you will be able to brag to all of your friends that you built it yourself.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I probably have everything you'd need to put it together unless you've got an some after-market part that I don't have a tool for yet.

When did you want to build it?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Right now would be excellent.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Assembling the lower doesn't require any tools.  I did it myself no trouble.  

Excellent walkthrough here:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

When you get to the detent spring, put a sheet over your head and work under it, so as to not have the spring fly far when it inevitably does.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#25]
That's great for the lower, but I don't have the tools to properly install a collapsible stock, or any of the proper tools at all for the upper.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
That's great for the lower, but I don't have the tools to properly install a collapsible stock, or any of the proper tools at all for the upper.

How about later afternoon or evening? I'm probably no more than a 15 minute drive from you. I've got to run a few errands now and stop by the dept. in early afternoon to sight in a new rifle.

Send me an IM w/ your phone number. I'll give you a call later on in the afternoon and tell you how to get here.

- Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top