Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2007 12:53:00 AM EDT
Hello All,

My wife and I are considering making a move to Illinois from California.  Gun laws are pretty strict where I live now.  No AR's with removeable mags if you have a pistol grip, etc.  Anyhow, I'm wondering if the laws are as strict in Illinois.  I'm not moving into Cook County if I head that way, i heard they had some sort of AW ban, but how about someplace like Dupage County?  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 2:56:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hello All,

My wife and I are considering making a move to Illinois from California.  Gun laws are pretty strict where I live now.  No AR's with removeable mags if you have a pistol grip, etc.  Anyhow, I'm wondering if the laws are as strict in Illinois.  I'm not moving into Cook County if I head that way, i heard they had some sort of AW ban, but how about someplace like Dupage County?  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Do you and your wife have jobs lined up already? If so, and if they are any where close to the Wisconsin or Indiana border, I would try and live on the other sides of those borders. Other than that, Dupage county is a great place to live, as are McHenry, Kane, and most of Lake County.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:46:07 AM EDT
[#2]
they are passing a bill right now"well trying"

that will be equal or worse than you have in Cali right now..

i wouldn't recomend il. right now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a job in Chicago potentially, that would require me to be there and near O'hare.  Will there be a grandfather clause to this new bill?  I already own several Kali compliant AW's, and would want to keep them, otherwise my brother will be the happiest guy in Kali when I leave.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have a job in Chicago potentially, that would require me to be there and near O'hare.  Will there be a grandfather clause to this new bill?  I already own several Kali compliant AW's, and would want to keep them, otherwise my brother will be the happiest guy in Kali when I leave.

No grandfather.  If you like assualt weapons or anything more than a wooden stick or rubber ball you would be best advised not to move to Cook County, it is going to be even worse than Kali.  

They try and pass a state Assault weapon ban every year, and it just barely gots shot down every year.  If you need to move for a job and love you guns, I would really recommend you find a more gun firendly state.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#5]
If you can be north of O'Hare and still work the commute,  try Lake or McHenry counties.  And for another 20-30 minutes you could live in/Around Kenosha county in Wisconsin which is even better.  Good Luck and let us know when you get here.  We all get together and shoot quite a few times per year.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback.  I kind of figured the upside of leaving the sun would be that I could get cooler toys to play with.  That argument is shot down.  And from what I'm seeing on line, home prices aren't that cheap out there anymore either, so a big cost of living decrease is also shot down.  I may stay where it's 85 degrees today.  If I do move, I'll definitely seek to hook up with some of you to go shooting.  

Thanks
Tom
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#7]
You can presently own any type of AR/ AK/FAL you please in IL. No SBR or full auto though. Sound supressors are also a no no. There are a few good places to shoot if you dont mind a 45 minute drive from Ohare (depending on traffic maybe more).

This is not a pro gun state. Concealed carry is presently a pipe dream thanks to Blagobitch and Da Mayor. As far as the AWB--Who knows? It comes up every year and does not pass. Lets keep our fingers crossed.      
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Try NW Indiana if you can swing it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
No ban is passed.

They try every year.

It's no way to live, being afraid of what doesn't exist.

Bring what you have and Un-"Cali ban it" if possible. Get a Firearm Owners ID Card from a gunshow or Sprtg Goods store the first week you are here. It's the law. Join the Illinois State Rifle Assn and enjoy the local and state politics .

Final someone posts about moving to IL from a place with worse laws.

JR
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#10]
That's good news.  I have to have my mags pinned if I want to have a pistol grip, which makes reloading the AK a major pain.  Pull the dust cover, pull the bolt, load the ammo into my 10 round magazine, then replace parts and fire.  It's a pain.  Do you have limitations of 10 rounds on the mags there?  We can only order replacement parts, but if I want to use more than a 10 round mag on my sks or ak, I have to remove the gas piston and bolt action fire it.  It's a bit ridiculous.  About the only gun worth owning in CA is an M1a, but you can't put a pistol grip on it which makes the purchase of a Sage stock not doable.  Also, I believe, but am not sure that we don't allow the crank action for the 1919 a4 which is one of the toys I'm currently considering building.  What's the word on 50bmg's?  They're banned out here.  I'm not planning on one any time soon, but everyone has started getting into the 50dtc round out in Kali and reloading themselves.  That's a bit too much work for me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 2:51:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If you do decide to come, Bensenville and Elmhurst are good choices as they both have Metra trains to downtown and are not very far from the Airport, and they are as close to Cook County as you can be without being in it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Stay away from Commy Illinois. You'll learn to hate it if your an American.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like your gonna have to roll the dice about a state wide ban each year you live here.

30 rnd mags are cool so far in this state, minus cook co.  Sorry I dont know the laws too well up North.

My wife makes a boat load more money than I do.  She said if we get banned , we leave.   She also said  Canada looks good if clinton gets elected,  Who knows?  

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#14]
My company hq is in Vancouver.  They are not that fond of our constitution.  While I wouldn't relish an America run by Hilary, I don't think I could stomach Canada.  I'd stay in Chicago for the beef sandwhiches alone.  By the way, the only thing keeping me in Cali right now is that they opened a Portillos near Knotts Berry Farm, not far from where I live.  If only we could get some real Pizza, I'd stay here and find other work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#15]
mmm, Lou Malnotti's
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Stay away from Commy Illinois. You'll learn to hate it if your an American.

Be afraid, be very afraid.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Honestly, I don't think you guys know how good you've got it.  The only thing that's worse in terms of gun laws in IL vs. CA is the ccw, although it's next to impossible to get one in CA unless you're a friend of the Sheriff.  

We can't have detachable magazines, we can't have .50bmg's, we can't have magazines greater than 10 rounds, we have an approved list on hand guns we CAN have.  You guys are getting some threats of restrictions, and some problems in Cook County, but in L.A. you can't even buy ammo mail order.  You have to show ID before you can purchase ammunition.

I'd take your gun laws 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.  That's one of the reasons I"m considering the move there.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Always could use more gun guys in the Land of Lincoln!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Honestly, I don't think you guys know how good you've got it.  
I'd take your gun laws 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.  That's one of the reasons I"m considering the move there.  

We know how good weve got it, but we still bitch. - Cant help it, we're arfcommers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:02:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Dont do it. Commiefornia is bad but Illinihell is worse. I left 7 years ago and will never come back. I do not even like to fly over that damn state. Move to AZ. We are a FREE state.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:08:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My company hq is in Vancouver.  They are not that fond of our constitution.  While I wouldn't relish an America run by Hilary, I don't think I could stomach Canada.  I'd stay in Chicago for the beef sandwhiches alone.  By the way, the only thing keeping me in Cali right now is that they opened a Portillos near Knotts Berry Farm, not far from where I live.  If only we could get some real Pizza, I'd stay here and find other work.

She said that half jokingly.  She also mentioned  Mexico.   Texas or Ok. she likes,and has some family in Az.

This state sux, but we do what we can. I would hate to have  the USA turn into Illinois.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top